Nothing screams summer like a good watermelon salad. Join us in counting down the 9 most delicious watermelon salad recipes that’ll have you drooling this summer!
When is Watermelon in season?
Depending on your geographic location, Watermelons tend to come in season in June and are at their best through July and August.
How to tell if a Watermelon is ripe
There’s tonnes of tricks to find the best watermelon, here are just a few:
- Listen for a hollow sound when tapping it.
- Find a watermelon that’s symmetrical and unscratched without rough patches.
- The heavier the watermelon, the better it is.
- A ripe and juicy watermelon should have a pale yellow spot on the rind, suggesting that it was left on the ground to ripen in the sun.
How to construct the best Watermelon Salad
Like all salads, it’s all about balancing the flavours, keeping it vibrant and adding a variety of textures. The most popular way to balance the sweetness of watermelon is to use something salty, such as cheese. Heck you can even just chuck a slice of watermelon on the grill and sprinkle it in a little sea salt. Tastes gorgeous! Basil and mint also go perfectly with watermelon, as does acidity such as onion, lemon or lime. It’s also nice to balance out the soft texture of watermelon with a little crunch such as nuts.
Either way, here’s some watermelon salad constructing in action!
Anywho, that’s certainly enough from me. Let’s tuck in shall we!? 😋
1. Watermelon and Feta Salad | dontgobaconmyheart
There’s no more famous watermelon/cheese combo than watermelon and feta. Add some extra virgin olive oil, lime juice and mint and you’re on to a winner. Heck, why not slice it into a checkerboard whilst you’re there? 😂
2. Watermelon and Feta Salad with Avocado | iheartvegetables
I guess there’s only one thing that can make a watermelon and feta salad better, and that’s our good friend avocado. Because avocado makes everything better right? 🥑
3. Grilled Watermelon Salad| dontgobaconmyheart
Get that BBQ out and bless your tastebuds with this grilled watermelon salad. Topped with arugula, blue cheese, pistachios and balsamic glaze, this really is one of the ultimate watermelon salad recipes!
4. Watermelon Beet Salad | livelytable
Served with creamy goats cheese, peppery watercress and a nice crunch from some walnuts, this watermelon beet salad is a force to be reckoned with.
5. Watermelon, Mint and Cucumber Salad | acommunaltable
If summer could be summed up in one photo, it’d be this. A gorgeously refreshing watermelon, mint and cucumber salad is all I need in my life right now!
6. Watermelon and Mozzarella Salad | dontgobaconmyheart
Yep, someone got carried away with the melon baller and I’m so glad they did. Served with basil and pine nuts, this watermelon and mozzarella salad is a delicious work of art!
7. Watermelon Chicken Salad with Pine Nuts and Feta | homeandplate
Who knew chicken and watermelon went together so well!? I cannot WAIT to get my teeth stuck into this recipe 😍
8. Watermelon Basil Salad with Mint and Goats Cheese | insidetherustickitchen
This salad is a gorgeous combination of tangy, sweet and sour. I mean is there really anything more delicious than creamy goats cheese dusted over juicy wedges of watermelon!? Nope, didn’t think so..
9. Watermelon Basket Fruit Salad | dontgobaconmyheart
And last but not least, the one and only sweet watermelon salad recipes to be mentioned on the countdown. Heck this is the only way I’m ever accepting fruit salad again!