This Creamy Tomato Sausage Pasta is served in a Sun Dried Tomato and Mascarpone Pasta Sauce – An absolute show stopper of a pasta dish which is SO easy to make!
Mascarpone Pasta Sauce
The star of the show here is absolutely the mascarpone pasta sauce. For those of you from the UK you’ll know those pre made pasta sauces, the jars of ‘tomato and mascarpone’. Yup, we’ve all been there. And to be honest they’re pretty tasty right!? However, we all know homemade is best made and that couldn’t be more true for this sauce. Here’s what you’ll need:
Mascarpone Pasta Sauce Ingredients
- Sun Dried Tomatoes
- Chicken Stock
- Tomato Puree
- Fresh Basil
- Onion & Garlic
- Pasta Water
Aka ‘Tomato Paste’ in the US. This serves two purposes. First is to add a further tomato depth of flavour to the pasta. Second is to add colour. It’s important to fry the tomato puree so it turns a little sweet, then deglaze with the sauce. The difference between cooked and ‘raw’ tomato puree is quite significant!
Starchy Pasta Water
This is what’s going to create the sauce and turn it extra creamy. By adding pasta water in the mix, you allow the starch molecules to emulsify with the fat and create a thick and creamy sauce. Important to heavily season the pasta water with salt (so it doesn’t dilute the flavour of the sauce) and scoop out the pasta water at the end of boiling (so it’s extra starchy – don’t scoop straight after adding pasta).
For the base of the sauce it’s as easy as blitzing sun dried tomatoes, basil and chicken stock.
Creamy Tomato Sausage Pasta
The sausage is the heart and soul of this dish. I originally tested this with beef and it just didn’t compare to the rich flavours of sausage. You’ll want to get regular ground sausage meat. NOT ground pork (much less flavoursome than sausage meat). If you can’t find ground sausage meat just squeeze the meat from some good quality neutral flavoured sausages.
What’s the best pasta to use?
I absolutely love using rigatoni because the hole is quite large it’s quite often that sauce/sausage will gather in there, which is just the best. I tend to stay away from longer cuts of pasta because it tends to bring with it the comparison to a bolognese.
How to make Creamy Tomato Sausage Pasta (quick summary)
- Fry onions/garlic in a drizzle of sun dried tomato oil until soft.
- Add your sausage and fry until browned.
- Add your tomato puree and fry for a minute, then add your sun dried tomato sauce and mascarpone.
- Add pasta water until your desired consistency.
- Stir in pasta.
- Stir through parmesan.
What to serve with Creamy Tomato Sausage Pasta?
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yes! I recommend just saving a cup of starchy pasta water to thin out. Just reheat on stove, using pasta water to thin out as needed until piping hot. You can also freeze this and thaw overnight in the fridge and reheat on the stove.
If you’re looking for a similar creamy tomato style pasta then definitely check out my Penne Alfredo with Bacon & Sun Dried Tomato! For other similar recipes give these a ganders too:
Delicious Sausage Pasta Recipes
- Sausage and Fennel Lasagne
- Penne Arrabiata with Smoked Sausage
- Crispy Gnocchi with Sausage Meatballs
- Sausage Ragu with Pappardelle
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full creamy tomato sausage pasta recipe shall we?!
How to make Creamy Tomato Sauce Pasta (Full Recipe & Video)
Creamy Tomato Sausage Pasta in a Mascarpone Sauce
- Large Deep Skillet & Wooden Spoon
- Large Pot & Colander
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Food Processor
- Fine Cheese Grater
Ingredients (check list):
- 14 oz / 400g Ground Sausage
- 12oz / 350g Rigatoni, or short cut pasta of choice
- 5oz / 150g Sun Dried Tomatoes (save 1 tbsp of oil)
- 1/2 cup / 40g Freshly Grated Parmesan, plus extra to serve
- 1/2 cup / 125ml Chicken Stock, preferably low sodium
- 3 heaped tbsp Mascarpone
- 1 tbsp Tomato Puree (tomato paste in US)
- 1 small bunch of Fresh Basil
- 1 medium Onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp Garlic, minced
- Fresh Parsley, to serve
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- 1-2 cups Starchy Pasta Water (see method)
- In a food processor, pulse your sun dried tomatoes, chicken stock and basil until smooth. Place to one side.
- In a pan, heat up 1 tbsp of your sun dried tomato oil then fry your onions until soft. Add in your garlic and fry for a further minute or so, then add your sausage and fry until nice and brown.
- Meanwhile cook your pasta in heavily salted water until al dente, reserving 2 cups of pasta water. Make sure the water is seasoned well and that you catch the water just before draining (i.e not straight after adding the pasta) you want it when it's nice and starchy.
- Drain excess fat from the pan if needed, then stir in your tomato puree. Fry for 1-2 minutes, then stir in your sun dried tomato sauce and mascarpone. Thin out with pasta water until your desired consistency then add in your pasta. Add another few splashes of pasta water if needed.
- Finish by stirring through parmesan. Serve with fresh parsley and extra parmesan.
Quick 1 min demo!
If you plan on making this Creamy Tomato Sausage Pasta then be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!