Looking for a delicious and easy after school snack? Look no further than these Puff Pastry Cheese and Bacon Turnovers!
For my UK readers out there, these are just like the ones from Greggs, but with a secret ingredient they’re 10x more delicious. Yeah, I went there 🤣
Cheese and Bacon Turnovers
For those of you not in UK, these are essentially very similar to a popular pastry served at the largest bakery chain in the UK. Simply cheese and bacon wrapped in a blanket of puff pastry. Simple, yet outrageously delicious. Because really, who can turn down cheesy bacon pastry?! Certainly not me, clearly.
Any who, these are awesome for so many different reasons. But here’s just a few:
- Easy – Literally no cooking ability required.
- Quick – The only thing better than food is fast food.
- Delicious – A game changing ingredient that’ll take these to the next level 😏
The Magic Ingredient!
Look, don’t get me wrong, cheese, bacon and puff pastry is a combo to die for. BUT, there’s definitely room for more.
All up in my face. Oh yes. Bacon and onion? Yep. Cheese and Onion? Yep. It all just makes sense. Also, the sweetness from the onions balances out the saltiness of the bacon nicely.
To keep in theme of ‘quick and easy’ I recommend making a big batch of caramelized onions, just so you can scoop them out as you need. So do check out my full post on How to make Caramelized Onions. But for now –
How to Caramelize Onions (quick summary)
- Add onions to a pan of olive oil and fry low and slow.
- Add balsamic vinegar, sugar and seasoning.
- Continue to fry on low heat until sweet, soft and sticky.
Cheese and Bacon Puff Pastry
One of your main ingredients is of course puff pastry. Definitely keeping in with the theme here, we will NOT be making our own puff pastry. That wouldn’t make for a very convenient after school snack 🤣 As such, pre-made from the store works just fine.
I recommend getting a pre-rolled puff pastry, just so you know you’re going to get even slices. If you’ve got a slab of pastry, just make sure you roll it out to 14″x9″ (35.5cmx22cm).
Alongside the ingredients we’ve discussed, all you’ll need is an egg for egg wash.
How to make Cheese and Bacon Turnovers (quick summary)
- Roll out pastry.
- Divide into 8.
- Add onions.
- Top with cheese and bacon.
- Fold in and pinch sides together.
- Brush with egg wash and bake.
And there we have it! Easy right? Just quickly, if you like the look of these I know you’ll love these other recipes!
Savoury Puff Pastry Recipes
- Classic Sausage Rolls
- Puff Pastry Pinwheels
- Potato, Cheese and Onion Pasties
- Chorizo Sausage Rolls
- Cheese and Prosciutto Twists
Okay, let’s tuck into this cheese and bacon puffs recipe, I’m getting hungry all over again 😋
How to make Cheese and Bacon Turnovers (Full Recipe & Video)
Cheese and Bacon Turnovers
- Large Frying Pan & Wooden Spoon
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Greased Baking Tray
- Small Pot and Brush (for egg wash)
Ingredients (check list):
- 1 sheet of Puff Pastry (see notes)
- 8 rashers of Streaky Bacon
- 4 square slices of Sharp Cheddar Cheese, halved
- 1 Egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- 1lb / 500g Red or White Onion, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a large frying pan over medium heat and add 1lb/500g sliced onions. Fry until they start to soften and caramelize (10-15mins), then add 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1 tbsp sugar and salt & pepper to taste. Turn heat to low and continue caramelizing for another 20mins, or until super soft and sticky. The aim of the game is to fry low and slow, don't let them catch and start to char at any point.
- Roll out your sheet of pastry on a floured surface and divide into 8. Take one section and slant it so a corner is at the top and bottom. Place a spoonful of onions in the centre, top with a slice of cheese, then a slice of bacon. Make sure the onions are hidden otherwise they'll burn.
- Fold in one corner, gently wet with your finger, then fold in over the second corner. Very tightly pinch together so they don't unfold in the oven, then brush with egg wash. See video for guidance on this section.
- Pop in the oven at 390F/200C for 15-20mins or until deep golden and crispy. Allow to rest and cool for 5mins, this will allow the final bit of steam to escape and help them crisp up (they might be slightly soft when they first come out).
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved these Cheese and Bacon Turnover Recipe then be sure to pin it for later! Already made them or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments below and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!