These English Muffin Breakfast Sandwiches are super easy to make and insanely delicious. They require minimal ingredients and are made in one pan!
The BEST Breakfast Sandwich Recipe
At any given time there’s a pack of English muffins in the kitchen cupboard, without fail. I’ll usually just half & toast them, then slather on butter (or even Marmite – don’t judge). But every now and then I’ll take things up a notch and make a sandwich. For my quick & easy English muffin breakfast sandwich here’s what you’ll need:
- English Muffins – Halved ready to be toasted. At a stretch you can use regular small rolls, but English muffins are definitely preferable!
- Eggs – These will be fried, but you can also poach or scramble them (see recipe notes).
- Butter – To fry the eggs. Can sub a drizzle of oil if you prefer.
- Bacon – Streaky bacon (aka regular bacon in the US).
- Cheese – I like American style processed cheese because it nods to the classic McMuffin. You can however use any cheese you fancy.
- Hot Sauce – Cholula, Franks or Sriracha work great. Can sub ketchup.
And that’s it! No need for a sausage patty. The eggs, bacon and cheese carry this sandwich beautifully!
One Pan Breakfast Sandwich
The beauty of this recipe is that it’s all cooked in one pan. Here’s a couple of tips to get you going:
Fry the bacon low ‘n’ slow
You want to render out as much fat as possible from the bacon. This is for two reasons: first is so the bacon goes nice and crispy. Second is you can use the leftover fat to toast the muffins.
Join the eggs
There’s 2 eggs per sandwich, and you fry 4 at a time. It’s best to split the eggs into pairs (see below) so they fold into the sandwich easier. Fried eggs are notorious for sliding out of sandwiches!
Process shots: add bacon to pan (photo 1), fry (photo 2), remove and leave fat (photo 3), toast muffins in fat (photo 4), melt butter (photo 5), add eggs (photo 6), split into pairs (photo 7), add muffins back on top (photo 8).
From there you can use a spatula/turner to scoop and flip the sandwiches onto a plate. But, I find it easiest to rest a plate over the top of muffins then carefully flip the pan.
Do I have to make the eggs sunny-side-up?
Nope! If you don’t like runny yolks just burst them as they cook.
What else can I add to this sandwich?
- Chives work nicely
- As does sliced Avocado
- Go wild and add some Hash Browns!
Process shots: add cheese to eggs (photo 1), top with bacon and hot sauce (photo 2).
And there we have it! All my top tips for the best breakfast sandwich!
If you like the sound of this sandwich make sure you check out my other Egg and Bacon Sandwich!
For more similar recipes check out these beauties too:
Fun Breakfast Recipes
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this English muffin breakfast sandwich shall we?!
How to make a Breakfast Sandwich (Full Recipe & Video)
English Muffin Breakfast Sandwich
- Large Frying Pan
- Plastic Spatula/Turner
- Large Plate or Board (preferably as big as pan)
Ingredients (check list):
- 2 English Muffins, halved
- 4 slices of Bacon
- 4 Eggs
- 2 square slices of American/Processed Cheese, (see notes)
- 1 tbsp Butter
- Hot Sauce, to preference (see notes)
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- Add bacon to a pan over low-medium heat and fry until crispy with the fat rendered. Important to keep it fairly low so you draw out as much of the fat as possible. Remove bacon, leave fat.
- Increase heat to medium-high and place English muffin halves in the leftover fat and fry until crispy. Remove from pan.
- Lower heat back down to a low-medium and melt in 1 tbsp butter. Spread it across the pan as best you can, then crack in 4 eggs. Use your spatula to separate the eggs into pairs then season with salt and pepper. It should look like two oval shapes. Cook until all egg white turns opaque (split egg yolks if you don't like sunny side up).
- Place muffin halves over the eggs, then take a plate and gently rest over the top. Carefully flip the pan over so the egg muffins end up on the plate egg-side-up.
- Add a slice of cheese to each of them, followed by 2 slices of bacon each and a good dousing of hot sauce. Fold over and enjoy!
Quick 1 min demo!
- Bacon - Can sub the bacon with ham, just start from toasting the muffins in a knob of butter.
- English muffins - for regular rolls.
- Fried Eggs - with poached eggs or scrambled eggs (poached will need to be made separately, scrambled can make in the same pan).
- American style cheese - for any cheese you fancy (shredded or square). I just like them McMuffin style with the processed cheese!
- Hot Sauce - for ketchup, brown sauce or Sriracha.
- Sliced or Smashed Avocado
- If you want to take things up a notch then stick a Hash Brown in there!
If you loved this Breakfast Sandwich recipe then be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!