This Roasted Tomato Soup with Fresh Tomatoes and Basil truly is the ultimate soup! Simple to make and bursting with flavour, this homemade soup is perfect for any occasion.
The BEST Tomato Soup!
Is there ever a time that isn’t appropriate for tomato soup!? Serve it as a starter, devour a huge bowl for lunch or dinner, when you’re feeling ill, if you’re cold, the list goes on. Whenever you need it, tomato soup has always got your back. And bread too. Bread is always good.
So, what makes the best tomato soup?
For me there’s 3 crucial factors to making the most delicious tomato soup:
- Fresh Tomatoes – There’s just no comparison in using fresh tomatoes to canned tomatoes. The tomato is the hero ingredient so scope out the most gorgeous fresh tomatoes you can.
- Roasted Tomatoes – By chucking the tomatoes in the oven beforehand, you get this yummy sweetness from the caramelization which adds heaps of flavour to the soup. Just like the fresh vs canned, there really is no comparison to boiled vs roasted.
- Basil – Tomato soup with basil is just like salt and pepper. A marriage we are not here to break up.
Roasted Tomato Soup
Roasting the tomatoes is an incredibly important step in this tomato soup. By roasting the tomatoes you gain a deeper tomato flavour that fresh un-roasted tomatoes can’t quite deliver. You’re left with a rich and sweet tomato flavour which when turned into a soup, is to die for!
What type of tomatoes are best for soup?
Roma tomatoes work great, as do vine tomatoes and plum tomatoes. In any case just make sure they’re fresh and ripe tomatoes. If the tomatoes are under-ripe (green tinges) the soup will be slightly bitter.
Do you need to peel tomatoes for soup?
Because you are going to be using a hand blender to blitz the soup, you do not need to peel the tomatoes before or after roasting. If you want a completely smooth soup, you can strain it through a sieve. I quite like the rustic texture of soups, but completely down to preference!
How to Roast Tomatoes for Soup (quick summary)
- Slice tomatoes in half and place flesh side up on a tray. Generously sprinkle with salt and pepper, then flip back over.
- Drizzle with olive oil and throw in some garlic and thyme.
- Roast in the oven until wilted and lightly charred!
How to make Tomato Soup
Alrighty, so we’ve got some gorgeous roasted tomatoes, let’s talk soup. Here’s a few simple but crucial tips for making the best tomato soup:
Caramelizing the Onions
You’ll want to fry your onions off in butter at a low heat for at least 15-20mins. This will caramelize them and tickle out the sweetness. Those soft buttery onions are gonna add a gorgeous base flavour for the soup.
Tomato Puree (Tomato Paste in US)
A nice dollop of tomato puree will not only add a deeper colour to the soup, but also enhances the tomato tones of the soup. It’s important to fry the puree, so it caramelizes and takes the bitterness of it.
How long to simmer soup?
You can simmer soup for anywhere between 20mins and 3 hours. The longer you simmer, the deeper the flavours. For this recipe I go for around 30mins as the tomatoes have already spent 30mins caramelizing in the oven. But, feel free to simmer for longer! Just remember to keep the lid on as you simmer so the soup doesn’t reduce.
How to make Roasted Tomato Soup (quick summary)
- Fry onion in butter and caramelize.
- Stir in tomato puree then deglaze with balsamic vinegar.
- Pour in roasted tomatoes (with pan juices) and garlic (removed from skins).
- Add fresh basil and stock and simmer.
- Take lid off and blitz with hand blender.
- Test for seasoning and thin out with stock if needed.
How to Serve Tomato Soup
This recipe will serve 4 as a main or 6 as an appetizer/starter. Serve it nice and hot fresh from the pot with a little extra garnish on top.
Tomato Soup Garnish Ideas
- Sprig of Thyme
- Drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper/Chilli Flakes
- Cracked Black Pepper
- Drizzle (and just a drizzle) of Cream
The little things really make a difference when dressing up a soup. Plus, all the above with actually enhance the flavour of the soup. You know, not just a pretty face and all.
What to serve with Tomato Soup
- Grilled Cheese
- Cheesy Pesto Garlic Bread
- Bread & Butter
- Parmesan Crisps (literally just bake small piles of parmesan on a tray and carefully peel off once golden. They crisp up as they cool)
Alrighty, I think that’s all the notes you’ll need for now. If you’re looking for another easy and delicious soup recipe be sure to check out my Roasted Butternut Squash Soup, Roasted Carrot Soup, Spring Onion Soup and Roasted Vegetable Soup. But for now, let’s tuck into the full roasted tomato soup recipe. Follow me…
How to make Roasted Tomato Soup (Full Recipe & Video)
Roasted Tomato Soup with Fresh Tomatoes and Basil
- Large Pot
- Large Baking Tray
- Hand Blender
- Jug (for stock)
- Wooden Spoon
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
Ingredients (check list):
- 2.2lb / 1kg Fresh Tomatoes (see notes)
- 1 cup / 250ml Chicken Stock, or more to preference (can sub vegetable stock)
- 3-4 cloves of Garlic, skin on (or more if you're a garlic lover!)
- 1 medium White Onion, diced
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Tomato Puree (Tomato Paste in US)
- 1 handful Fresh Basil
- few sprigs of Fresh Thyme
- splash of Balsamic vinegar
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- Olive Oil, as needed
- Preheat oven to 200C/390F.
- Slice your tomatoes in half and evenly place them flesh side up on a suitably sized tray. Generously season with salt and pepper, then flip over. Chuck on your garlic and thyme, drizzle with olive oil and pop in the oven for 30mins or until wilted and lightly charred.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a suitably sized pot and add your onions. Fry over low medium for a good 15-20mins until golden and caramelized. Add tomato puree and fry for a minute or so, then deglaze with a splash of balsamic vinegar.
- Pop the garlic out of the skins and remove the thyme from the tray. Pour everything (including the juices) into the pot with the onions. Add stock and basil, then leave to simmer with the lid on for a good 20-30mins (can simmer longer for deeper flavour, just make sure lid is on so soup doesn't reduce).
- Blitz using a hand blender and test for seasoning. If you prefer a thinner texture then gradually add more stock.
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved this Roasted Tomato Soup recipe then be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!