A modern twist on the classic Waldorf Salad, these Chicken Waldorf Salad Bites are served on slices of apple for that perfect party appetizer!
I know, how much more pretentious can I get? ‘Can’t a Waldorf Salad just be a damn Waldorf Salad’ I hear you cry. Erm, no totally not when it looks so cute plonked on top of apple slices 😇
So first things first, just to clear away any cobwebs before we get tucked in…
What is a Waldorf Salad?
A Waldorf Salad was created in the famous Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City. Traditionally using just celery, apple and mayonnaise, it’s now developed on to use ingredients such as walnuts, grapes, chicken and/or greek yogurt. And well, developed as far as being served on apple slices 🤣
It’s also famous in regards to Fawlty Towers, but I’ve never watched the episode and won’t waffle on and pretend I have!
Anywho, let’s crack on with my rather non-traditional Walforf Salad and see what all the fuss is about shall we?
I’ve tried to keep the essentials there whilst giving it a modern twist. Here’s what I used:
Chicken Waldorf Salad Ingredients
- Chicken (shredded)
- Apples (red, green or both)
- Grapes (my preference is red)
- Walnuts (toasted)
- Plain/Greek Yogurt
- Salt & White Pepper
If you haven’t tried Chicken Waldorf Salad before the ingredient list might look a little strange, but trust me, it’s so darn tasty! It also couldn’t be easier to make.
How to make Chicken Waldorf Salad on Apple Slices
- If you haven’t already, lightly toast your walnuts in a pan and crush to desired texture. Leave to cool.
- In a bowl, combine your yogurt, mayo, salt and white pepper to taste.
- In a larger bowl, combine your chicken, grapes, walnuts and sauce.
- Slice your apples in to thin rounds, ignoring the core. Rub both sides with your lemon, this will help prevent them from browning. Top with your Chicken Waldorf Salad and serve up!
Really couldn’t be more simple! You can even make the chicken salad part in advance and leave in the fridge until you have time to plonk on the apple rounds.
What cut of chicken to use?
I always use breast and take it from leftover rotisserie chicken. I don’t recommend any other cuts in the case. You can always use fresh chicken, fry it up and shred. I’ve added a note in the recipe on the best way to do this!
Anywho, someone grab me that lemon, the apples are browning!!
Substitutions in this Chicken Waldorf Salad Recipe
- Greek Yogurt – instead of using part mayo part yogurt, you can use all yogurt (or all mayo if you fancy). In recent times they actually started using full yogurt in the Hotel itself.
- Pecans – if you don’t like or have walnuts, pecans make a great sub.
- Dried Fruits – things such a raisins or dried cranberries make a great sub for the grapes.
With all salads, it’s all about preference. Sometimes I even feel reluctant putting in measurements. Heck if you want to add a little more of this or a little less of that then go for it!
With the same token, if you want to introduce a new ingredient all together then go for it! For this Chicken Waldorf Salad, here are a few of my recommendations:
Welcomed additions to this Chicken Waldorf Salad Recipe
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- Splash of Apple Cider Vinegar
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
These apple salad bites are perfect for a party or even better as a quick fix snack. Store your Chicken Waldorf Salad in the fridge and plonk it on some apple slices when the craving hits! A no fuss easy appetizer ready and waiting. So… What are you waiting for??
Join the foodie family! – Get awesome recipes sent straight to your inbox by signing up to my Weekly Mailing List (where you’ll receive your FREE ECOOKBOOK) and stay in touch on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest! 🧡
How to make Chicken Waldorf Salad Bites (Full Recipe & Video)
Chicken Waldorf Salad Bites
- 2 packed cups (approx 2 breasts) Shredded Chicken
- 2 large Apples (red, green or both)
- 2 ribs of Celery, finely diced (more or less to preference)
- 1 cup / 180g Seedless Red Grapes, quartered (more or less to preference)
- 2/3 cup / 80g Walnuts (more or less to preference)
- 1/2 cup / 115g Plain or Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 cup / 115g Mayo
- 1 Lemon
- good pinch of White Pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Cress to garnish
Extras 'n' Optionals
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- dash of Apple Cider Vinegar
- pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- Lightly toast your walnuts in a dry frying pan over low-medium heat until fragrant and very slightly charred, shaking frequently. Grab a mug and gently crush the walnuts to desired size, remove from pan and leave to cool.
- In a bowl, combine your yogurt, mayo, salt and pepper. Taste for seasoning and add extras if desired.
- In a larger bowl, combine your chicken, celery, grapes, walnuts and sauce.
- Slice your apples into thin rounds, ignoring the core. You should get 10 rounds from each apple.
- Rub each side of the rounds with lemon juice, top with your Waldorf chicken then garnish with Cress.
Quick 1 min demo!
- Heat a little oil in a deep pan, fry each side of the chicken on high just to get some colour.
- Pour in enough water (or chicken stock) to cover the chicken, place a lid on top and poach on a simmer until the centre is no longer pink. The chicken temp should reach 165f/74c on a thermometer. Depending on size this should take between 8-12 minutes.
- Place in a bowl and with two forks, shred to desired texture. c) Calories - Based per apple slice, using full fat mayo.
If you loved this Chicken Waldorf Salad Recipe then check out my Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad!