This Creamy Chicken Sun Dried Tomato Pasta is packed with gorgeous flavour and couldn’t be easier to make!
This is such a simple dish, but it truly is delicious. The combination of cream, chicken and sun dried tomatoes is already hard to beat, but when you add pasta and a few other goodies into the mix, it’s game over. Follow me…
Prepping the Chicken
For this recipe, and most chicken pasta recipes in general, I like using chicken breast.
Bringing to room temp
You’ll want to get the chicken out of the fridge 15mins or so before needed, just to bring it close to room temp. This will not only make sure the chicken cooks through evenly, but it’ll also relax the meat and ensure it doesn’t seize up and go chewy in the pan.
Slicing the chicken
I highly recommend slicing each breast in half through the centre to create 4 even-sized breasts. This will not only ensure the chicken cooks quicker but also more evenly too.
Seasoning-wise I like to keep it fairly simple and use a combo of paprika, garlic powder, salt & black pepper.
Process shots: get chicken out of the fridge (photo 1), slice through the centre (photo 2), season then flip (photo 3), season again (photo 4).
Cooking the Chicken
To cook the chicken, you’ll want to use a large deep pan, that way you can continue with the recipe in the same pan. I like my cast-iron skillet, but any sort of large pan will do the trick.
Resting the Chicken
Once you’ve fried the chicken, it’s important to let it rest. If you slice right into it all of the juices are going to drain out.
Slicing the Chicken
When it comes to slicing, I recommend slicing at a slight angle and against the natural grain of the chicken, just so it comes out nice and soft. When adding the chicken back into the pasta, be sure to add any resting juices alongside the chicken. Don’t waste that flavour!
Process shots: add chicken to pan with oil (photo 1), fry both sides then remove (photo 2).
Creamy Chicken Sun Dried Tomato Pasta
Once you’ve removed the chicken, you’ll likely notice some char in the base of the pan. Don’t wipe this out! When you fry the onions they’ll release some moisture and lift the char off the pan, this will add gorgeous flavour to the sauce!
Starchy Pasta Water
The sauce will be fairly thick before you toss in the cooked pasta. I recommend scooping out a cup of starchy pasta water just before you drain the pasta; you can use this to thin out the sauce as necessary. Just make sure the pasta water is well seasoned so you don’t dilute the flavour of the sauce!
What kind of Pasta to use?
I recommend using short-cut pasta for this recipe. You’ll find it easiest to get the pasta, sun dried tomato and chicken all in one mouthful that way!
Process shots: add onion to pan (photo 1), fry then fry garlic (photo 2), add chicken stock, cream, sun dried tomatoes and chilli flakes (photo 3), simmer then stir in basil and parmesan (photo 4), stir in cooked pasta (photo 5), stir in chicken (photo 6).
Serving Chicken Sun Dried Tomato Pasta
When it comes to serving this dish, I usually sprinkle over any leftover parmesan and basil then tuck right it! This dish is perfect for a midweek Dinner with some Garlic Bread or Cheesy Garlic Bread if you fancy it!
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this chicken sun dried tomato pasta shall we?!
How to make Chicken Sun Dried Tomato Pasta (Full Recipe & Video)
Creamy Chicken Sun Dried Tomato Pasta
- Large Deep Pan & Wooden Spoon
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Fine Cheese Grater
- Jug (for stock)
Ingredients (check list):
- 2x 7-9oz/200-250g Chicken Breasts, brought close to room temp
- 1/2 tsp EACH: Paprika, Garlic Powder, Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Sun Dried Tomato Oil (sub olive oil)
- 10.5oz / 300g Short Cut Pasta
- 1 cup / 125g Sun Dried Tomatoes, sliced into strips
- 1 1/4 cups / 300ml Heavy (US) / Double (UK) Cream, at room temp
- 1/2 cup / 120ml Chicken Stock
- 1/2 cup / 40g freshly grated Parmesan, plus more to serve
- 1/2 small bunch Fresh Basil Leaves, finely diced (i.e. 1 large handful 0.5oz/15g)
- 1 small Onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of Garlic, finely diced
- pinch of Chilli Flakes
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Prep Chicken: Horizontally slice each chicken breast right through the centre to create 4 even-sized breasts. Coat in paprika, garlic powder, salt & pepper.
- Cook Chicken: Add 1 tbsp oil to a large deep pan over medium-high heat and add chicken. Fry for a few mins each side until lightly charred on the outside and just about cooked through the centre. Remove and rest to one side, then slice into thin strips when needed (save any resting juices to add to the sauce).
- Pasta: Pop your pasta in well-salted boiling water and cook until al dente. Retain a cup of starchy pasta water just before draining.
- Sauce: Lower pan heat to medium, add onions to the pan and fry until soft and golden (adding a dash more oil if you need to). Add garlic and fry for another minute or so. Pour in stock and cream, then add sun dried tomatoes and a pinch of chilli flakes. Stir then simmer for 5-10mins, or until the sauce thickens.
- Combine: Stir basil and parmesan into the sauce, then season to taste (sauce should be fairly thick at this point). Stir in drained pasta then stir in sliced chicken alongside any resting juices. Use a splash of starchy pasta water to thin out the sauce if needed (discard if not). On the contrary, if you go overboard with the pasta water, just continue gently simmering until the sauce re-thickens.
- Serve: Plate up individual portions with extra parmesan and any leftover basil if desired. Enjoy!
Quick 1 min demo!
Your Private Notes:
For another similar pasta dish be sure to check out my Penne Alfredo with Bacon and Sun Dried Tomato!
For more similar recipes check out these beauties:
Chicken Pasta Recipes
- Chicken and Mushroom Pasta
- Cajun Chicken Pasta
- Chicken and Chorizo Pasta
- Chicken Kiev Pasta
- Peri Peri Chicken Pasta
If you loved this Chicken Sun Dried Tomato Pasta recipe be sure to pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!