This Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta couldn’t be any more delicious if it tried! Better still, it makes the perfect quick and easy family dinner.
As one of my most loved and most popular recipes, I had to include this in my Debut Cookbook ‘Comfy’!
The heart and soul of this dish is indeed the cajun chicken. Honestly? It couldn’t be easier to make. Here’s what you’ll need:
Cajun Chicken Ingredients
- Chicken Breast (butterflied)
- Olive Oil
- Lime Juice
- Cajun Seasoning
- Salt & Pepper
Grab yourself a ziplock bag, mix it up and leave to marinate for as long as you have time for (up to overnight). This will maximise the flavour and tenderness of the chicken. However, if you’re truly pushed for time, just mix it up and fry right away.
How to make Cajun Chicken (quick summary)
- Lay out your chicken breast.
- Butterfly to make 2 even sized breasts.
- Combine with seasoning and leave to marinate.
- Fry both sides until nicely charred and white through the centre.
Creamy Cajun Sauce
The cajun sauce it’s actually just as simple (and delicious) as the chicken. For this sauce I’ve opted for mushrooms, onions, peppers and garlic in a simple sauce of butter, cream, parmesan and chicken stock. Finished with more cajun seasoning and parsley. Lovely jubbly. Slightly indulgent, totally worth it.
How to make Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta (quick summary)
- Fry mushrooms in leftover chicken oil.
- Add onions, peppers and garlic, then stir in seasoning.
- Melt in butter.
- Pour in chicken stock.
- Add cream, simmer, then add parmesan and parsley.
- Stir in pasta, then add chicken strips.
Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
Different cajun seasonings with have varying levels of spice. If you’re not too good with spice, I recommend starting off with 1 tsp (as opposed to 1 tbsp) in the sauce and adjusting accordingly.
Most creamy pastas don’t heat up to well in the microwave and end up quite oily. As such, I recommend heating this up in the pan with a splash of milk. Also just make sure the chicken is piping hot before serving.
Feel free to sub any pasta with the penne! It’s usually just what I’ve got on hand.
And there we have it! Easy right?
Hey, whilst you’re here why not check out my other recipes?
Creamy Pasta Recipes
- Creamy Mushroom Pasta
- Penne Alfredo with Sun Dried Tomato and Bacon
- Salmon Pasta in a Creamy Dill Sauce
- Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
- Creamy Chicken & Broccoli Pasta
Okay, let’s tuck into the full creamy cajun chicken pasta recipe shall we!?
How to make Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta (Full Recipe & Video)
Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Large Frying Pan & Wooden Spoon
- Pot & Colander (for pasta)
- Zip Lock Bag or large Shallow Dish & Cling Film (for marinade)
- Jug (for stock & Cream)
- Fine Grater (for parmesan)
Ingredients (check list):
- 2x 7-9oz/200-250g Chicken Breasts
- 1 tbsp EACH: Lime Juice, Olive Oil, Cajun Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp EACH: Salt, Black Pepper
- 10.5oz/300g Penne
- 1 cup / 250ml Double/Heavy Cream, at room temp
- 1 cup / 250ml Chicken Stock
- 3.5oz / 100g Button Mushrooms, sliced
- 1.7oz / 50g Parmesan, plus extra to serve if desired
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 heaped tbsp Fresh Parsley, finely diced (plus extra to serve if desired)
- 1 tbsp Cajun Seasoning
- 2 cloves of Garlic, finely diced
- 2 small Peppers, cored & finely diced (I use 1 red 1 green)
- 1 medium Onion, finely diced (white or red)
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- Olive Oil, as needed
- Lime Juice, to serve (optional)
- Horizontally slice the chicken breasts right through the centre to make 4 even-sized breasts. In a large shallow dish (or zip-lock bag) whisk together 1 tbsp oil, lime juice & cajun seasoning with 1/4 tsp salt & black pepper. Add the chicken and toss to coat, then cover with cling film and marinate in the fridge for as long as you have time for (up to overnight). If you're pushed for time just rest at room temp as you prep the other ingredients.
- Bring the chicken to close room temp if you marinated it in the fridge, then add to a large pan over medium-high heat. Fry for a few mins each side, or until lightly charred and just through the centre. Rest to one side until needed, then slice into thin strips just before adding to pasta.
- Fry mushrooms in the leftover oil until they begin to soften (top up with a dash more oil if you need to). Add peppers & onion and continue frying until golden (again, add a dash of oil if you need it). Add garlic and fry for a minute or so longer. Add 1 tbsp Cajun Seasoning, fry for a minute, then melt in 2 tbsp butter.
- Pour in the chicken stock and cream, then bring to a gentle simmer. Allow to simmer until it begins to thicken, stirring occasionally (approx 10mins). At this point pop the pasta in salted boiling water and cook until al dente. Save a cup of starchy pasta water before draining.
- To the sauce add parmesan, parsley and seasoning to taste. Stir through the cooked pasta until coated in the sauce, then stir through the sliced chicken, alongside any resting juices. Continue tossing until the sauce wraps around and clings to the pasta, thinning out with more pasta water if needed. Serve with extra parmesan & parsley and a squeeze of lime juice if desired.
Quick 1 min demo!
Your Private Notes:
If you loved this Cajun Chicken Pasta Recipe then be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!