This Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta couldn’t be any more delicious if it tried! Better still, it makes the perfect quick and easy family dinner.
The heart and soul of this dish is indeed the cajun chicken. Honestly? It couldn’t be easier to make. Here’s what you’ll need:
Cajun Chicken Ingredients
- Chicken Breast (butterflied)
- Olive Oil
- Lime Juice
- Cajun Seasoning
- Salt & Pepper
Grab yourself a ziplock bag, mix it up and leave to marinate for as long as you have time for (up to overnight). This will maximise the flavour and tenderness of the chicken. However, if you’re truly pushed for time, just mix it up and fry right away.
How to make Cajun Chicken (quick summary)
- Lay out your chicken breast.
- Butterfly to make 2 even sized breasts.
- Combine with seasoning and leave to marinate.
- Fry both sides until nicely charred and white through the centre.
Creamy Cajun Sauce
The cajun sauce it’s actually just as simple (and delicious) as the chicken. For this sauce I’ve opted for mushrooms, onions, peppers and garlic in a simple sauce of butter, cream, parmesan and chicken stock. Finished with more cajun seasoning and parsley. Lovely jubbly. Slightly indulgent, totally worth it.
How to make Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta (quick summary)
- Fry mushrooms in leftover chicken oil.
- Add onions, peppers and garlic, then stir in seasoning.
- Melt in butter.
- Pour in chicken stock.
- Add cream, simmer, then add parmesan and parsley.
- Stir in pasta, then add chicken strips.
Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
Different cajun seasonings with have varying levels of spice. If you’re not too good with spice, I recommend starting off with 1 tsp (as opposed to 1 tbsp) in the sauce and adjusting accordingly.
Most creamy pastas don’t heat up to well in the microwave and end up quite oily. As such, I recommend heating this up in the pan with a splash of milk. Also just make sure the chicken is piping hot before serving.
Feel free to sub any pasta with the penne! It’s usually just what I’ve got on hand.
And there we have it! Easy right?
Hey, whilst you’re here why not check out my other recipes?
Creamy Pasta Recipes
- Creamy Mushroom Pasta
- Penne Alfredo with Sun Dried Tomato and Bacon
- Salmon Pasta in a Creamy Dill Sauce
- Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
- Other Pasta Recipes
Okay, let’s tuck into the full creamy cajun chicken pasta recipe shall we!?
How to make Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta (Full Recipe & Video)
Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- 12" Frying Pan & Wooden Spoon
- Pot & Colander (for pasta)
- Zip Lock Bag (for marinade)
- Jug (for stock & Cream)
- Fine Grater (for parmesan)
Ingredients (check list):
- 2x 9oz/250g Chicken Breasts
- 1 tbsp each: Lime Juice, Olive Oil, Cajun Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 10.5oz/300g Penne
- 1 cup / 250ml Double/Heavy Cream
- 1 cup / 250ml Chicken Stock
- 3.5oz / 100g Button Mushrooms, sliced
- 1.7oz / 50g Parmesan, plus extra to serve
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 heaped tbsp Fresh Parsley, finely diced, plus extra to serve
- 1 tbsp Cajun Seasoning
- 1 heaped tsp Garlic, minced
- 2 small Peppers, finely diced
- 1 medium Onion, finely diced
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- Olive Oil, as needed
- Lime Juice, to serve (optional)
- Butterfly your 2 chicken breasts to make 4 even sized breasts. Combine in a zip lock bag with 1 tbsp oil, 1 tbsp lime juice and 1 tbsp cajun seasoning, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Marinate for as long as you have time for (up to overnight).
- Bring to room temp and fry over medium-high heat until nicely charred on each side and white through the centre. Rest on a chopping board until needed, then slice into thin strips.
- Meanwhile, pop 10.5oz/300g pasta in salted boiling water and cook until al dente. Save a cup of starchy pasta water before draining.
- Fry 3.5oz/100g mushrooms until soft in leftover oil from the chicken (or more as needed). Add 2 peppers and 1 onion and continue frying until golden. Add 1 heaped tsp garlic and fry for a couple mins longer. Add 1 tbsp Cajun Seasoning, fry for a minute, then melt in 2 tbsp butter.
- Pour in 1 cup/250ml chicken stock, bring to a gentle simmer, then pour in 1 cup/250ml cream. Allow to simmer (stirring occasionally) until it begins to thicken. Add 1.7oz/50g parmesan, 1 tbsp parsley and seasoning to taste. Add pasta and chicken, then stir until evenly combined and the sauce thickened (add a splash of starchy pasta water if needed).
- Serve with extra parmesan/parsley and a squeeze of lime juice (optional).
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved this Cajun Chicken Pasta Recipe then be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!