With just 4 ingredients, these Greggs style Sausage, Bean and Cheese Melts truly couldn’t be easier to make!
Homemade Sausage, Bean and Cheese Melts
Sorry, but this had to be done 😂It was only a matter of time before these beauties made it to the blog!
If you’re reading this from outside the UK, please, let me very quickly bring you up to speed. Popular bakery in the UK, sell pastries stuffed with cheese, sausages and beans, here is my take on them. There, done 🤣Friends from the UK, as you were.
Truth of the matter is these are delicious and making them at home couldn’t be easier. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Puff Pastry (store bought)
- Can of Sausages & Beans
- Egg (for egg wash)
That’s it! Plus it’s all gonna go down in under 30minutes. Follow me.
Making Sausage, Bean and Cheese Melts
Potentially one of the easiest recipes I’ve uploaded to the blog. Here’s a couple of tips to get you going:
- You’ll need to drain off most of the bean sauce before plonking on the pastry, otherwise it’ll leak out too much when baking.
- Slice the sausages in half, just to distribute the filling more evenly.
- Firmly crimp down the edges with a fork to ensure the slices stay intact.
Once you’ve stacked and folded the slices you’ll want to give them a good brush of egg wash, just to give them a nice golden finish.
Slice a couple of steam holes on top then throw them (and by throw I mean carefully place) them in the oven to bake!
Tins of sausages and beans are commonly found in the UK, and I believe in the US you’re looking for cans of ‘Pork and Beans’. If you can’t get your hands on any feel free to add cooked sausage, or just use beans! Cheese non-negotiable 😏
Can these be made ahead of time?
Yep! Perfect for freezing as well. I’ve added some more info on this in the recipe card below.
For more similar recipes gives these a ganders too:
Savoury Puff Pastry Recipes
- Classic Sausage Rolls
- Puff Pastry Pinwheels
- Pepperoni Pizza Pockets
- Chorizo Sausage Rolls
- Cheese and Prosciutto Twists
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for these sausage, cheese and bean melts shall we?!
How to make Sausage, Bean & Cheese Melts (Full Recipe & Video)
Sausage, Bean & Cheese Melts
- Sharp Knife
- Baking Tray
- Small Pot & Brush (for egg wash)
- Fork & Spoon
Ingredients (check list):
- 1 sheet of Puff Pastry (see notes)
- 1x 14oz/400g can of Baked Beans & Sausages, sausages sliced in half
- 3/4 cup / 75g Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated (or as needed)
- 1 Egg, beaten for egg wash
- Flour (optional)
- Butter/Oil Spray, to grease pan (optional)
- Roll out pastry in the parchment paper it comes in or on to a lightly floured surface. Slice in half both ways to create 4 smaller rectangles.
- Evenly split your beans & sausages and place to one side of each rectangle. Make sure you drain away most of the sauce (depending on which brand you use may not need to do this). See video for consistency, otherwise they'll leak out too much.
- Top each dollop of beans & sausages with a pinch of cheese., then gently fold over each rectangle to contain the filling.
- Use a fork to firmly crimp down the edges, then neaten up with a knife. Space each slice onto a greased baking tray (or on parchment paper) and brush each slice with egg wash. Use your knife to slice 3 small steam holes in the top, then pop in the oven at 200C/390F for 15-20mins, or until golden.
- Leave to rest for a few mins (they'll be scorching hot in the centre) then tuck in!
Quick 1 min demo!
Your Private Notes:
If you loved these Cheesy Bean Melts then be sure to Pin the recipe for later! Already made it or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!