Smashed avocado, topped with crumbled feta and roasted cherry tomatoes. Tomatoes on toast don’t come more delicious than this!
The Ultimate Tomatoes on Toast
I guess on the surface tomatoes on toast is a bit of an odd concept, but it totally works. Perfect for a quick, easy and delicious brunch, even better for an after work/school snack when the craving hits. We’ll get to the avocado part in just a sec, but first things first let’s talk tomatoes. More specifically:
Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
The only thing more glorious in this world than cherry tomatoes is roasted cherry tomatoes. By roasting the tomatoes you sweeten and intensify the flavour. You also soften them and collect a gorgeous oily/salty/tomatoey juice in the bottom of the dish, which is nothing short of heaven. For all intents and purposes you can sub baby plum tomatoes, or any other small tomato variety.
Do I have to roast the tomatoes?
You could just half the tomatoes and pop them on raw. BUT, you do miss out on a ton of flavour. Plus you miss out on the heavenly juices left in the baking dish. If you do prefer raw tomatoes, you can use any variety you like, just try and ensure they’re as fresh as possible. But again, I do highly recommend roasting them.
Process shots: add tomatoes, oil & s&p to dish and roast (photo 1), add smashed avo ingredients to bowl (photo 2), lightly smash with a fork (photo 3).
Tomato Avocado Toast
Whilst the roasted tomatoes do hold themselves pretty well, where there’s toast and tomatoes there’s gotta be avocado. It’s just the rules 🤷♂️ In with the avocado I recommend adding some fresh basil for a burst of flavour. I also love adding a squeeze of lemon juice to brighten up the dish, and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil to turn things silky smooth.
Last thing you’ll want to add which really takes this toast to new heights is some crumbled feta. The saltiness of the feta balances out the sweetness of the tomatoes and the sharp tones of the lemon.
What bread to use?
I like sourdough, but in reality you can use any bread you fancy. For an extra layer of flavour & texture use seeded bread!
Serving Tomato Avocado Toast
Once you’ve plonked everything on don’t forget the tomatoes juices in the baking dish! Drizzle them over at the end, just for that ‘chefs kiss’ moment 😘 Eat right away whilst the tomatoes and toast are still warm!
If you like the sound of this recipe be sure to check out my Cheese & Tomato Puff Pastry Tarts!
For more similar recipes check out these beauties too:
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for the avocado tomato toast shall we?!
How to make Tomato Avocado Toast (Full Recipe & Video)
Tomato Avocado Toast
- Small Baking Dish
- Medium Sized Mixing Bowl
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
Ingredients (check list):
- 20 Cherry Tomatoes (approx 9oz/250g)
- 4 small slices of Sourdough, toasted (or bread of choice)
- 2 medium sized Avocados, roughly diced
- 4 tbsp crumbled Feta
- 1 heaped tbsp finely diced Fresh Basil (approx 6-8 large leaves)
- 1/2 Lemon, juice only (to taste)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil, as needed
- Salt & Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- Roasted Tomatoes: In a small baking dish combine cherry tomatoes with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Pop in the oven at 200C/390F until they begin to lightly char and wrinkle (around 10-15mins).
- Smashed Avocado: In a medium sized mixing bowl add avocado, basil, a squeeze of lemon juice, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and good pinch of salt and pepper. Lightly smash with a fork, leaving a few lumps here and there for some texture.
- Toast: Divide smashed avocado among 4 slices of toast, then top with crumbled feta. Add 5 roasted cherry tomatoes per slice of toast, then drizzle over some of the juices from the baking dish. Enjoy!
Quick 1 min demo!
Your Private Notes:
If you loved this Tomato Toast recipe then be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!