Peri Peri flavours blended through a light and creamy homemade hummus. This truly is the BEST spicy hummus recipe!
Peri Peri Hummus
When two delicious worlds collide, great things happen. Peri Peri hummus is one of those great things. Here’s why I KNOW you’ll love it:
- Smooth and Creamy – This hummus is heavenly smooth and creamy.
- Bursting with flavour – Those classic hummus flavours, with an extra burst of flavour.
- Quick and Easy – Like most hummus recipes, this Peri Peri hummus is super quick and incredibly easy to make!
First things first –
What is Peri Peri sauce?
Sometimes known as Piri Piri (or even Pili Pili), Peri Peri sauce is an African sauce made from spicy African Bird’s Chillis. It’s got a gorgeous twang to it and goes great with chicken, and in this case, hummus. For this recipe I use a combination of Peri Peri sauce and Peri Peri seasoning.
What Peri Peri sauce to use?
I go for Nandos Medium spice. Any higher and it starts to overpower the flavours in the hummus.
The BEST Spicy Hummus Recipe
You could make spicy hummus using jalapeños, or even cayenne pepper, but neither compare to the deliciousness of Peri Peri sauce. The flavours go perfectly with the classic tones of hummus.
When it comes to the hummus itself, here’s a couple of tips:
Tips for the Best Hummus
- Chickpea Brine – Don’t drain away the brine! Use it to thin out the hummus as needed.
- Smooth Hummus – Don’t be scared to pulse the hummus for 5mins+. I usually scrape it with a spatula a few times to make sure there’s no lumpy bits hiding anywhere.
- Room Temp – Always serve at room temp, tastes so much better than straight out the fridge.
What to serve with spicy hummus?
How to store hummus?
Pop in an airtight container and pop in the fridge. I usually keep mine for 4-5days (more at your discretion). Just bring to room temp before serving. You can also freeze hummus and defrost in the fridge overnight.
And there we have it! Spicy Peri Peri hummus is yours for the taking! If you like the sound of this hummus, I’ve got a sneaky suspicion you’ll love these too:
Different Hummus Recipes
Alrighty, shall we tuck into the full recipe?! Follow me…
How to make Peri Peri Hummus (Full Recipe & Video)
Spicy Peri Peri Hummus
- Food Processor
- Serving Bowl
- Colander (to drain chickpeas)
- Pot (to catch the brine)
Ingredients (check list):
- 1x 14oz / 400g can of Chickpeas, drained (save the brine)
- 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus extra to serve
- 2-3 tbsp Medium Spice Peri Peri Sauce
- 2 tbsp Tahini
- 1 Lemon, juice only
- 1 small clove of Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Salt, or to taste
- Black Pepper, to taste
- Peri Peri Seasoning, to taste
- Add chickpeas, extra virgin olive oil, tahini, lemon juice, cumin, garlic, salt & pepper and 2 tbsp peri peri sauce into a food processor and turn on motor.
- As the hummus blends, pour in 2 tbsp chickpea brine to thin it out (add more if needed). Check for seasoning and add a 3rd tbsp peri peri sauce if you'd like it stronger. I don't recommend using more than 3 tbsp as it will make the hummus too thin. If you want it even stronger just use the seasoning.
- Once the hummus is smooth (don't be scared to pulse for 5mins+), pour into a serving bowl and swirl the top with a spoon. Pour over a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a good few pinches of peri peri seasoning (to taste). Serve at room temp with peppers, carrots and pita chips!
Quick 1 min demo!
Your Private Notes:
If you loved this Spicy Hummus Recipe then be sure to pin it for later! Already made it or got a question? Let me know in the comments and pick up your free ecookbook on the way!