These mini hasselback potatoes are gorgeously crispy, easy to make and bursting with flavour!
Looking for a fun new way to serve baby potatoes? Follow me…
Mini Hasselback Potatoes
These beauties are ridiculously cute. But, and better still, they’re absolutely delicious too. We’ll get into the seasoning in just a sec, but first things first:
How to cut hasselback potatoes
You’ll want to make slices along the potatoes around 1/16″-1/8″ apart. It’s important to make sure you don’t go all the way down or they’ll fall apart. Start at one end and carefully make your way along. Some recipes suggest placing two wooden spoons either side to ensure you don’t slice all the way down, but I find baby potatoes vary in size quite a lot, so this method isn’t great if they’re more round shaped. A steady hand and a sharp knife will do the trick 🙂
Hasselback Potato Seasoning
For this recipe I use sage and onion. Sage and onion is a glorious combo, one that isn’t often used as potato seasoning, but it truly works! Here’s a few other tried and tested seasoning combos:
- Garlic Powder, Paprika, Thyme, Cayenne Pepper (from my Baked Potato Wedges)
- Smoked Paprika, Cayenne Pepper, Onion & Garlic Powder (from my Spicy Potatoes)
- Fresh Rosemary, Thyme and Garlic (from my Roasted Baby Potatoes)
At their absolute heart you can just use a heavy helping of salt and pepper, or experiment with seasoning of your choice!
Alongside the seasoning we’re going in with melted butter, just because you know, melted butter…
Process shots: melt butter (photos 1), add seasoning (photo 2), stir to combine (photo 3).
Right, baby potatoes hasselbacked, seasoning done, time to combine the two.
Once you’ve combined the potatoes with the seasoned butter, space them out on a baking tray. It’s important you space them out or they’ll steam and won’t go crispy. From there, I like to head back to the bowl you mixed everything in and drizzle some oil. You’ll find there will be a notable amount of seasoning left in the bowl, which we certainly don’t want to waste. Use a brush to scrape out the seasoning and brush over the potatoes before you bake.
Process shots: slice potatoes (photo 1), mix with seasoned butter (photo 2), brush bowl with oil (photo 3), brush over potatoes and bake (photo 4).
How to serve Hasselback Baby Potatoes
If you like the sound of these baby hasselback potatoes then make sure you check out these beauties too!
Baby Potato Recipes
- Lemon Browned Butter Baby Potatoes
- Roasted Baby Potatoes
- EXTRA Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- Mini Loaded Potatoes
- Baby Potato Salad
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for these mini potato hasselbacks shall we?!
How to make Mini Hasselback Potatoes (Full Recipe & Video)
Mini Hasselback Potatoes
- Medium Sized Baking Tray
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Large Mixing Bowl & Spatula
- Small Pot
Ingredients (check list):
- 2lb / 1kg Baby Potatoes
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 heaped tsp EACH: Ground Sage, Onion Powder (see notes for subs)
- 3/4 tsp Salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- Make very thin slices (1/16" - 1/8") along your baby potatoes, ensuring you don't go all the way down, just to keep them in tact. Place in a large bowl.
- In a small pot combine melted butter with seasoning. Pour into the bowl with the potatoes and stir to combine. Make sure all the potatoes are completely coated.
- Spread potatoes out on a baking tray. Add a drizzle of oil to the bowl (around 1 tbsp) and use your brush to combine any leftover seasoning. Brush onto the tops of your potatoes.
- Bake in the oven at 200C/390F for 30-35mins, or until golden and crispy. Timings will depend on size of potatoes, so could take notably less or more time. If they start charring at all before softened through the centre just turn down the heat.
- Serve as finger food with a dip or as a side to a main!
Quick 1 min demo!
Your Private Notes:
If you loved this Hasselback Potato Recipe then be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!