These Easy Homemade Skinless Sausages are super delicious and packed full of flavour. So simple to make and even easier to fall in love with!
*This recipe has been updated for extra deliciousness! Tasty before, even tastier now*
But really, I can’t express to you how easy homemade sausages are to make. No sausage casings needed, no meat grinders/sausage making machine and no special sausage meat. Just good old ground pork, some tasty fillings and a frying pan. I guarantee after making these homemade pork sausages, you’ll never get store bought again.
Homemade Sausage Meat
Sure, you could use sausage meat, but personally I think ground pork is the better option. It gives you the opportunity to start with a blank canvas and put your own seasonings in.
For the pork itself you’ll need regular ground/minced pork. It’s important however to make sure it’s non-lean pork. You need the pork to be at least 20% in order to keep the sausages juicy throughout cooking. When it comes to seasoning, here’s the usual victims in my sausages:
What is the best sausage seasoning?
- Sage, Parsley, Thyme – these 3 herbs go gorgeously with pork. Dried herbs work perfectly.
- Fennel – fennel and pork is a match made in heaven. Here we’re going to use crushed fennel seeds.
- Onion & Garlic – two staples in any sort of meatball/burger/sausage. You’ll need a small clove of garlic and large spring onion.
- Cracked Black Pepper – adds a little kick of spice and works perfectly with pork.
What can I use as a sausage binder?
Once you’ve got the meat and seasoning sorted, you’ll want to use breadcrumbs and egg to bind the meat together. Contrary to popular belief, breadcrumbs (in small quantities) don’t dry out ground meat, the breadcrumbs actually retain moisture to help the meat stay juicy. Egg is also a great binder.
Rule number 1 of homemade sausages club – you do not need sausage casings or a sausage machine to make sausages at home. There, I said it. Skinless sausages are as, if not more, delicious than regular sausages.
How do you make skinless sausages?
You’re essentially making long, thin meatballs. Just divide the filling and roll them into large sausage shapes. It’s important at this stage again not to over work the meat or it’ll go tough and chewy.
How do you cook skinless sausages?
The best method of cooking for skinless sausages is to pan fry. This way you get the extra flavour of the caramelization from the direct heat of the pan.
Can you bake skinless sausages?
I have tried this and they don’t come out as well for 2 reasons. Firstly they tend to lose shape easier. Secondly they don’t brown as well on the outside, and if they do the inside tends to dry out quicker.
Can I prep these ahead of time?
Absolutely! You can roll them out, tightly cover and either store in the fridge (24 hours) or freezer (1 month, thaw in fridge) then fry as instructed.
How do I store and reheat leftovers?
Tightly cover in the fridge (2-3days) or freezer (month and thaw in the fridge) then pop in the oven at 180C/356F until piping hot through the centre. They won’t be quite as juicy as before still delicious!
What to serve with Sausages?
And there we have it! That’s all the tips I got for you. Just before we tuck into the full recipe make you sure check out my other similar recipes:
Delicious Recipes Using Sausages
Alrighty, let’s dig into the recipe for these homemade sausages shall we?!
How to make Skinless Sausages (Full Recipe & Video)
Easy Homemade Skinless Sausages
- Large Frying Pan & Tongs
- Medium Sized Mixing Bowl
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
Ingredients (check list):
- 1lb / 500g 20% Fat Ground Pork, close to room temp (see notes)
- 1/2 cup Fresh Breadcrumbs
- 1 large Spring/Green Onion, very finely diced
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1 small clove Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp EACH dried Sage, dried Parsley
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp EACH dried Thyme, Cracked Black Pepper, Fennel Seeds, crushed (see notes)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine 1lb/500g pork mince with 1/2cup fresh breadcrumbs, 1 tsp dried sage & parsley, 3/4 tsp, salt, 1/2 tsp thyme, cracked black pepper & crushed fennel seeds, 1 beaten egg, 1 diced spring onion and 1 minced clove of garlic. Don't overwork the meat, only mix until the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- The mixture should come together nicely, but if for whatever reasons it's too wet to mould (different pork will have different water contents) then just add a few pinches more breadcrumbs.
- Divide the mixture into 6 (around 1/3cup cup portions). Gently roll into sausage shapes of about 6" length. They will shrink slightly in the pan.
- Heat up 2 tbsp olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add in sausages and turn each one over a few times to sear the outside. Continue cooking, flipping the sausages every now and then until nicely browned on the outside and piping hot through the centre (around 10-12mins).
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved this Skinless Sausage Recipe be sure to pin it for later! Already made them or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments and pick up your free ecookbook on the way!