This Red Wine Onion Gravy recipe is an absolute game changer. So gorgeously rich and packed full of flavour, prepare to never use a packet of store bought gravy again!
If I’m having a meal that requires a jug of beef gravy to be present, there’s also going to be a tall chunky glass of wine. And it’s not that I’ve always had the urge to pour my wine in the gravy, but I just knew deep down in my soul that they would marry together perfectly. After a little experimenting all I can say is my soul was right. Red wine gravy is totally a thing and it’s about to change your life.
Red wine lends itself so neatly to beef in so many different contexts. It’s just a match made in heaven.
When adding it to a homemade beef gravy, it adds an extra depth of flavour and provides a gorgeous richness. Sure, beef gravy is great, but red wine beef gravy is better.
And when the onions get involved it’s just game over.
When you fry them low and slow they release their natural sugars and begin caramelize. This balances out the slight acidity of the wine.
Ugh just look at that gravy goodness 😍
How to make homemade gravy without drippings
Many traditional gravy recipes use meat drippings in gravy, but I wanted to create a ‘go-to’ gravy recipe which you can whip up whether you’ve got meat drippings or not.
The easiest way to make gravy is to make a roux using butter and flour. From there you can really create any type of gravy you like.
My general rule of thumb for a gravy to comfortably serve 4 is:
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 cups (500ml) liquid i.e stock/broth
Simply melt the butter and add the flour to form a paste, then slowly add your liquid.
Red Wine Onion Gravy Ingredients
- Red Wine
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Beef Stock
- Salt & Pepper
An that’s it! A few cupboard staples there too right?
Tips for the Best Homemade Red Wine Gravy
- Cook out the wine for a good 5 minutes or so to burn out some of the alcohol.
- Fry the onions low and slow to caramelize them. This will add a nice sweetness to the gravy and balance out the acidity of the wine.
- Beef stock and always beef stock. I have played around with other stocks before and none of them compare to the marriage of red wine and beef.
Join the foodie family! – Get awesome recipes sent straight to your inbox by signing up to my Weekly Mailing List (where you’ll receive your FREE ECOOKBOOK) and stay in touch on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest! 🧡
How to make Red Wine Onion Gravy (Full Recipe & Video)
Red Wine Onion Gravy
Ingredients (check list):
- 1 large Red Onion, peeled & sliced
- 2 cups (500ml) Beef Stock
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Red Wine
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Flour
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- Olive Oil, for frying
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Heat a little oil in a suitably sized pan and begin frying your onions over medium heat.
- Once they start to take on colour, turn down to a low-medium and fry until soft and caramelized.
- Melt in your butter then stir in your flour until a paste forms. Stir in your Worcestershire sauce and wine.
- Slowly stir in your beef stock then season with salt and pepper. Allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, until desired thickness.
Quick 1 min demo!
For the perfect accompaniment to your homemade gravy, check out my Homemade Skinless Sausages!