Egg mayonnaise sandwiches should never be boring! Here I show you some game changing tips and tricks to making the perfect egg mayo.
Egg mayonnaise is one of those recipes that’s when it’s good, it’s real good. But when it’s bad… Yikes (cheap store bought ready made egg mayo sandwich filler – I’m looking at you!) 🤣But for real, homemade is always better. First things first, let’s talk mayo.
I recommend going for a full fat mayo, much richer and much more flavour. I also recommend the following goodies stirred through as well:
- Dijon Mustard – Offers a nice kick and goes gorgeously with both egg and mayonnaise.
- Vinegar – Malt vinegar is traditional, but apple cider vinegar makes a decent sub. Just a few drops is all you’ll need.
- White Pepper – Gives a little heat to the mayo.
I like my egg mayo fairly mayo heavy, but work to preference. For this recipe I use 1/2cup / 120g.
How to make the BEST Egg Mayo
Okay, mayonnaise is fixed. Let’s talk eggs.
You’ll need to hard boil the eggs (I’ve added a section on this in the recipe card if you’re looking for a technique). Alongside the eggs and (pimped up) mayo, I recommend added these two game changers:
- Bacon – I mean did you realistically think I wouldn’t be adding bacon to this recipe in some way shape or form? 🤣Egg and bacon is a match made in heaven, one I’m not about to split up.
- Chives – Another iconic duo, egg mayo and chives go together beautifully!
Can you make this in advance?
Absolutely! Just tightly cover and store in the fridge until needed. This will also give time for the flavours to develop.
How long does egg mayo last?
Tightly covered in the fridge, egg mayo will comfortably last up to 3 days. Longer at your discretion.
Egg Mayo Sandwich
What’s a homemade egg mayo if it’s not slapped between two slices of bread!? Two tips for you on this one:
- Butter – Obvious I know, but sometimes if I’m dealing with a creamy style sandwich filler I ignore the butter.
- Cress – Anyone else use to grow their own cress when they were younger in school? Just me? 🤣Egg mayo sandwiches with cress are iconic! Plus cress is ridiculously cheap which is always good.
How many eggs do you need for an egg sandwich?
For this recipe you’ll need 6 eggs, which will make 4 sandwiches (so 1.5 eggs per person).
And there we have it! To summarize:
- Mustard, White Pepper and Vinegar are a game changer to spruce up the mayonnaise
- Bacon and Chives are two game changers to mix through the egg mayo
- Cress works perfectly in an egg mayo sandwich
If you like the sound of this recipe check out my Bacon Egg Potato Salad!
If you’re after more egg recipes check these out too:
Easy Egg Recipes
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this egg mayo shall we?!
How to make Egg Mayonnaise (Full Recipe & Video)
- Small Pot with Lid (for boiling eggs)
- Large Bowl (with ice/cold water)
- Small Pot (for mayo)
- Medium Bowl (for egg mayo)
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
Ingredients (check list):
- 6 Eggs
- 1/2 cup / 120g Full Fat Mayo
- 4 rashers of Bacon, cooked, cooled & finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Fresh Chives, finely diced
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Malt Vinegar/Apple Cider Vinegar (see notes)
- 1/4 tsp White Pepper
- 8 slices of Bread
- 4 tbsp Cress
- Butter, as needed
To Boil Eggs
- Place eggs in a small pot and cover with cold water (make sure every part of all the eggs is comfortably covered). Turn on high heat and leave until the you reach a rolling boil. Once the eggs start dancing, immediately turn off the heat, pop on a lid and leave on the hob for 10mins. After 10 mins, spoon eggs into a bowl of ice (or very cold) water (this is to stop the cooking process). After, peel and dice eggs to desired texture for egg mayo.
- In a small pot combine 1/2cup/120g mayo, 1 tsp dijon mustard, 1/4 tsp white pepper and a few drops of vinegar (up to 1/2 tsp, you don't need much).
- In a larger bowl combine diced boiled eggs with the mayo dressing, 1 tbsp chives and your finely diced bacon.
Egg Mayo Sandwiches
- Butter both sides of your bread and divide egg mayo between 4 sandwiches, topping each one with cress.
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved this Egg Mayo Recipe then be sure to pin it for later! Already made them or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments below and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!