This omelette is stuffed with crispy bacon, oozy cheese and a gentle kick of spice. It’s quick, easy and absolutely delicious!
Omelettes are great for literally any occasion. Brunch? Omelette. Post gym snack? Omelette. Don’t have the energy or will power to cook anything remotely challenging? Omelette. Granted the mighty omelette can get slightly repetitive, so here I’ll show you a really simple way to spruce it up! Follow me…
The Ultimate Omelette
How do you spice up an omelette?
In short – add bacon, cheese and chilli. The thing that’s so great about this combo is that they not only go amazingly as a trio, but together and individually go hand in hand with egg too.
Cheese and bacon goes without saying. The chilli comes from the fact I usually find myself adding hot sauce to my scrambled egg or omelette. So thought I’d shove some chilli inside instead and quite literally spice up the omelette.
What cheese goes well with omelette?
To be honest I could probably write a shorter list of cheeses that don’t go with omelette! Cheddar is a classic pairing. Swiss/Gruyere both work nicely too. You can even add Blue Cheese! Here I’ve gone for Red Leicester, but Cheddar makes a great sub.
When it comes to making the omelette it’s important to make sure you prep the fillings first and add them into the folded omelette. Maybe it’s just me, but many moons ago when I first started making omelettes I’d mix the fillings in with the egg. From there it’s very difficult to fold over the omelette without it breaking apart, so I used to pop in under the grill to finish the top. Not ideal.
Process shots: add bacon to pan (photo 1), fry then add shallot & red chilli (photo 2), fry until browned then remove (photo 3), melt in butter (photo 4), pour in beaten eggs (photo 5), add cheese (photo 6), add bacon/chilli/shallot and more cheese (photo 7), flip over half (photo 8).
Tips for the best Omelette
What is the best size pan for omelettes?
For a 3 egg omelette I find the best size to be 9″. You can slightly increase or decrease this, the omelette will just be slightly thicker/thinner. In all cases though it’s essential to use a non-stick pan.
How do you fold an omelette?
The best tip for folding an omelette is to tilt the pan in the direction of the filling. Run a plastic spatula underneath the other side and gravity will do most of the rest.
How do you know when an omelette is done?
You’ll want to gently fry the omelette undisturbed until you’re able to run a spatula underneath it. The top should still be slightly wet. It will continue cooking when you fold the omelette, so fear not. You just don’t want to cook it right through otherwise it gets really tricky to fold.
Serving a Cheese and Bacon Omelette
When it comes to serving the omelette you can tuck in straight away, but me being me and this blog being this blog, I like to turn it into a mini brunch feast. As such, today we’ve paired it with toast, avocado, grilled tomatoes and rocket.
If you’re after another delicious cheese and bacon recipe be sure to check out my Cheese and Bacon Turnovers!
For more similar recipes check out these beauties too:
Egg Breakfast Recipes
- Best Scrambled Eggs (or Chorizo Scrambled Eggs!)
- Perfect Poached Eggs
- Ham, Cheese and Egg Cups
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this cheese and bacon omelette shall we?!
How to make Cheese and Bacon Omelette (Full Recipe & Video)
Chilli, Cheese and Bacon Omelette
- 9" NON-STICK Frying Pan
- Small Bowl & Fork/Whisk (to beat eggs)
- Plastic Spatula
- Wooden Spoon
- Cheese Grater
Ingredients (check list):
- 3 large Eggs
- 3 slices of Streaky Bacon, diced
- 1/3 cup / 35g Cheddar or Red Leicester, grated
- 1 small Red Chilli, deseeded & finely diced
- 1 small Shallot, finely diced
- 1 tbsp Butter
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- dash of Olive Oil
- Eggs: In a small bowl beat 3 eggs with a good pinch of salt and pepper until completely smooth. Place to one side.
- Bacon: Add bacon to a pan over medium heat with a small dash of olive oil. Fry until it begins to crisp, then add in shallot/chilli and fry until they soften & start to brown. Remove from pan, discarding any excess oil.
- Omelette: Melt in 1 tbsp butter and make sure it's evenly distributed across the pan as best you can. Turn heat to low-medium and pour in eggs. Leave to gently fry until you're able to comfortably lift the sides and the egg on the top is almost cooked through (should still be slightly wet, it will continue cooking once folded). If the base starts to cook too quickly before the top begins to set just lower the heat slightly.
- Filling: Sprinkle cheese over half the egg (in a half moon), top with bacon/shallot/chilli then finish with more cheese. Tilt the pan in the direction of your filling and carefully run your spatula under the other half and fold on top of the filling.
- Serve: Plate up with any sides (see notes) and enjoy!
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved this Bacon Omelette recipe then be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!