This Chicken, Leek and Mushroom Pie is an absolute British Classic! A creamy filling with a crispy puff pastry topping. Better still, it couldn’t be easier to make!
Is there a more gorgeous combo than chicken, leek and mushroom? Ugh, such a classic flavour combo that just begs to be wrapped in a creamy sauce and plonked in a pie.
A pie recipe is one of those things that seems like so much effort than it actually is. Admittedly I do tend to use pre made pastry, but even so it’s ‘easy as pie’.
Oh god, forgive me that was dreadful.
Anywho, easy pie recipe, yes. Let’s check out the ingredients for the chicken, leek and mushroom filling first shall we?
Chicken, Leek and Mushroom Pie Ingredients
- Chicken Thigh
- Chestnut Mushrooms
- Chicken Stock
And that’s it! I’m sure some or all of those look familiar in your kitchen!
How to make a Chicken, Leek and Mushroom Pie
- Fry up your chicken until browned, remove from the pan, then add your leeks, garlic and mushrooms and fry until they take on colour and soften.
- Add flour and slowly stir in your stock and cream until lump free.
- Add chicken back in and add your mustard and seasonings. Simmer until thickened.
- Pop in a suitably sized dish and cover with puff pastry. Brush with egg wash then bake until golden.
It’s really that simple!
That creamy chicken, leek and mushroom filling planted underneath a crispy golden layer of pastry 🤤
Tips for the best Chicken, Leek and Mushroom Pie
- Chicken thigh – Packed with a lot more flavour than breast and tends to end up more tender after cooking.
- Chicken Stock/Cream – A lot of recipes out there use one or the other, but I truly feel a mixture of both is the best option. The chicken stock gives that gorgeous depth of flavour whilst the cream gives that classic creamy chicken, leek and mushroom pie filling
- Mustard – A good tbsp of mustard is an absolute game changer, trust me on this one!
A creamy Chicken, Leek and Mushroom Pie is the ultimate comfort food! What’s better it really couldn’t be easier to make!
Ugh, just look at that circle of joy 😍
Join the foodie family! – Get awesome recipes sent straight to your inbox by signing up to my Weekly Mailing List (where you’ll receive your FREE ECOOKBOOK) and stay in touch on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest! 🧡
How to make a Chicken, Leek and Mushroom Pie (Full Recipe & Video)
Chicken, Leek and Mushroom Pie
- 1 sheet Puff Pastry (13.2oz/375g)
- 1.3lbs / 600g Chicken Thigh, diced into big chunks
- 9oz / 250g Chestnut Mushrooms, quartered (or mushroom of choice)
- 2 Leeks, sliced into rounds (see notes)
- 2 cups / 500ml Chicken Stock, or as needed
- 1/2 cup / 125ml Double/Heavy Cream
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 tbsp Mustard (English or Dijon)
- 1 clove Garlic, peeled & diced
- 3-4 sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 1 Egg, beaten
- good pinch of Nutmeg
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- Fry your chicken over high heat until golden, flipping once. Don't worry if it's not completely cooked through. Remove from pan and rest to one side.
- Lower to medium and melt in your butter. Add your mushrooms, fry for a minute or so, then add in your leeks. Fry for a good 5-10 mins until they take on a good bit of colour, then stir your garlic.
- Add your flour and stir until a thick paste forms. You might need to add more butter if the pan's too dry.
- Slowly stir in your stock until lump free, then pour in your cream. Add your chicken back in, then add your mustard, thyme, nutmeg and seasoning to taste. Allow to simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Pour into a suitably sized baking dish and place your pastry over the top. Cut/garnish as desired, then brush with your beaten egg. Slice a steam hole in the centre to allow steam to escape (important so the pastry don't go soggy and the filling can thicken).
- Place in the oven at 200c/392f for 20-25mins or until a deep golden brown.
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved this classic British pie then be sure to check out another British classic – my Toad in the Hole!