This Chicken, Leek and Mushroom Pie is an absolute British Classic! A creamy filling with a crispy puff pastry topping. Better still, it couldn’t be easier to make! – Hungry now? Jump to Recipe
Is there a more gorgeous combo than chicken, leek and mushroom? Ugh, such a classic flavour combo that just begs to be wrapped in a creamy sauce and plonked in a pie.
A pie recipe is one of those things that seems like so much effort than it actually is. Admittedly I do tend to use pre made pastry, but even so it’s ‘easy as pie’.
Oh god, forgive me that was dreadful.
Anywho, easy pie recipe, yes. Let’s check out the ingredients for the chicken, leek and mushroom filling first shall we?
Chicken, Leek and Mushroom Pie Ingredients
- Chicken Thigh
- Chestnut Mushrooms
- Chicken Stock
And that’s it! I’m sure some or all of those look familiar in your kitchen!
How to make a Chicken, Leek and Mushroom Pie
- Fry up your chicken until browned, remove from the pan, then add your leeks, garlic and mushrooms and fry until they take on colour and soften.
- Add flour and slowly stir in your stock and cream until lump free.
- Add chicken back in and add your mustard and seasonings. Simmer until thickened.
- Pop in a suitably sized dish and cover with puff pastry. Brush with egg wash then bake until golden.
It’s really that simple!
That creamy chicken, leek and mushroom filling planted underneath a crispy golden layer of pastry 🤤
Tips for the best Chicken, Leek and Mushroom Pie
- Chicken thigh – Packed with a lot more flavour than breast and tends to end up more tender after cooking.
- Chicken Stock/Cream – A lot of recipes out there use one or the other, but I truly feel a mixture of both is the best option. The chicken stock gives that gorgeous depth of flavour whilst the cream gives that classic creamy chicken, leek and mushroom pie filling
- Mustard – A good tbsp of mustard is an absolute game changer, trust me on this one!
Ugh, just look at that circle of joy 😍
A creamy Chicken, Leek and Mushroom Pie is the ultimate comfort food! What’s better it really couldn’t be easier to make!
How to make a Chicken, Leek and Mushroom Pie (Full Recipe & Video)
This Chicken, Leek and Mushroom Pie is an absolute British Classic! A creamy filling with a crispy puff pastry topping. Better still, it couldn't be easier to make!
- 1 sheet Puff Pastry (13.2oz/375g)
- 1.3lbs / 600g Chicken Thigh, diced into big chunks
- 8.8oz / 250g Chestnut Mushrooms, quartered (or mushroom of choice)
- 2 Leeks, sliced into rounds
- 2 cups / 500ml Chicken Stock
- 6.8 fl oz / 200ml Double/Heavy Cream
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Mustard
- 1 clove Garlic, peeled & diced
- 3-4 sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 1 Egg, beaten
- good pinch of Nutmeg
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
Fry your chicken over high heat, flipping once, until golden on both sides. Don't worry if it's not completely cooked through. Remove from pan.
Lower to medium and melt in your butter. Add your mushrooms, fry for a minute or so, then add in your leeks. Fry until they both pick up colour. Then add your garlic.
Add your flour and stir until a thick paste forms.
Slowly stir in your stock until lump free, then pour in your cream. Add your chicken back in, then add your mustard, thyme, nutmeg and seasoning to taste. Simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally.
Pour into a suitably sized baking dish and place your pastry over the top. Cut/garnish as desired, then brush with your beaten egg. Slice a steam hole in the centre to allow steam to escape.
Place in the oven at 200c/392f for 20mins or until a deep golden brown.
Watch how to make it!
a) Consistency - I like my pie to be quite 'liquidy', but for a thicker filling simmer until you've got the desired texture before it goes in the oven.
If you loved this classic British pie then be sure to check out another British classic – my Toad in the Hole!