This Roasted Garlic Mashed Potato is loaded with Butter, Cream and Cheese, then baked in the oven until ultra crisp on top and gooey underneath.
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
We’ll get to the cheesy part in just a sec, but firstly let’s talk about roasted garlic.
If you’ve been a reader of mine for a while, you’ll have realised I’m obsessed with roasting garlic. Roasting garlic really changes both the texture and flavour of the garlic into something sweet and caramelized. Turns out it goes pretty nicely in mashed potatoes.
For a more comprehensive tutorial on how to roast garlic (it’s so easy, promise) check out my Oven Roasted Garlic. But for now –
How to roast garlic (quick summary)
- Slice the tip off your garlic bulb to expose the cloves.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Wrap in foil and bake until golden and caramelized.
Should look a little something like this:
Cheesy Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
I mean mashed potato with roasted garlic is great, but let’s take things to the next level shall we?
Cheesy mashed potato brings me right back to my childhood (and has stayed with me through adulthood, clearly). You can’t beat it! The perfect side dish for just about anything.
How to make Cheesy Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes (quick summary)
- Boil your potatoes until fork tender.
- Mash in butter and roasted garlic.
- Stir in cheese, cream and seasoning.
Baked Mashed Potatoes
From there, honestly? It’s already gonna taste great. But if I’m making mashed potatoes I’ll always bake them in the oven.
I find that when you bake mashed potatoes, especially if they’re loaded with cheese and/or roasted garlic, it marries the flavours together a little more. You also get that gorgeous golden top, which is always to die for.
How to bake mashed potatoes (quick summary)
- Scoop mashed potatoes into a suitably sized baking dish.
- Top with melted butter (or extra cheese!).
- Bake until golden and bubbly.
And there we have it! Cheesy garlicy mashed potatoes are yours for the taking.
Once out the oven, I love to top with finely diced fresh chives. Try to not think of these as just garnish; they actually add gorgeous flavour and marry with the roasted garlic perfectly.
Hey, whilst you’re here why not check out my other recipes?
Recipes using Roasted Garlic
Potato Side Dishes
Alrighty, let’s tuck into this cheesy roasted garlic mashed potatoes recipe shall we?!
How to make Cheesy Roasted Garlic Mashed Potato (Full Recipe & Video)
Cheesy Roasted Garlic Mashed Potato
- Large Pot
- Potato Masher
- Wooden Spoon
- Baking Dish
- Chopping Board & Sharp Knife
- Serving Spoon
- Aluminium Foil
- 2lb / 1kg White Potatoes, peeled & diced into chunks
- 1 cup / 100g Cheddar, grated (or more if you want it EXTRA cheesy)
- 1/2 cup / 125ml Cream, or to preference (can sub milk)
- 2 heaped tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Butter, melted to top (or more cheese!)
- 1 small bulb of Garlic
- Fresh Chives, to serve
- Olive Oil, as needed
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- Slice the tip off your garlic to expose the cloves. Drizzle with olive oil, wrap in foil and pop in the oven at 180c/356f for 45-60mins, or until deep golden, caramelized and sticky.
- Meanwhile, place your potato in a pot of cold water and bring to a boil. Boil until knife tender (15mins or so) then drain and place back in the pot. Squeeze the garlic out of the cloves into the potato and add 2 tbsp butter. Mash until lump free.
- Stir in cream and cheese, then add plenty of salt and pepper. Place in a baking dish, pour over 1 tbsp melted butter (or extra cheese) and bake in the oven at 200c/390f for 20mins or until golden and bubbling.
- Allow to rest, then garnish with fresh chives.
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved this Cheesy Roasted Garlic Mashed Potato recipe be sure to pin it for later! Already made it or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!