Roasted Garlic Sweet Potato Mash is the ultimate way to serve mashed sweet potato. A soul-hugging balance of flavours which couldn’t be easier to make!
I think it’s safe to say if you’ve been following along with my recipes for a while now, you’ve realised my love for sweet potatoes is absolutely bonkers. It was only the other day I uploaded the Sweet Potato Breakfast Skillet and miraculously I still had 2kg of sweet potatoes lying about. Yes, I have a problem.
In this instance however it’s not the sweet potatoes themselves that send my taste buds into a frenzy, but more the addition of roasted garlic and how they complement each other so beautifully.
Guys, if you’ve never roasted garlic before your life is about to change. Roasting actually gives a hugely different taste to raw or even fried garlic. It turns sweet and caramelized, with the usual pungent flavour of garlic turning very gentle and soft. What’s better, it goes with literally everything, from soups and dips to chicken marinades and mac ‘n’ cheese. I even spread it on toast! But most importantly, we are gathered here today to discuss its role in roasted garlic sweet potato mash.
Roasting garlic couldn’t be easier. From roasting enough garlic to kill off an army of vampires, I’m happy to show ya’ll exactly how I feel is the best way to roast garlic.
The answer is garlic-rosemary burger.
How to roast garlic in the oven
- Simply slice a bulb of garlic through the centre, ensuring the cloves don’t fall out of the bulb.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil and chuck a sprig of rosemary inside to form a mini garlic-rosemary burger.
- Wrap in foil and pop in the oven until soft and caramelized.
Simple right? The oil will simply protect the cloves from burning and produce a beautiful glaze. As the garlic roasts, that rosemary is going to infuse and take the flavour through the roof. This is simply THE best way to roast garlic.
When you add that to the mashed sweet potato? UGH. So so good.
By this point your kitchen is going to smell absolutely freaking gorgeous. And of course I like to take things further by adding bacon, because everything’s better with bacon.
Also you see that tiny pot, initially I planned to eat that. A fair size portion for one I’d say. Nope, face planted the large baking dish and didn’t come up for air. *sighs* The power sweet potato has on me is borderline out of control.
Let’s take a quick look at what ingredients you’ll need shall we?
Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Roasted Garlic Ingredients
- Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Garlic
- Sour Cream
- Salt & Pepper
Oh yeah, the bacon on top 😂 I was making pigs in blankets and had leftover bacon. Turns out some crispy bacon with the leftover rosemary from the roasted garlic turns out STUNNING when plonked on top of sweet potato mash. Highly recommend 🙃
Other delicious and easy Sweet Potato Recipes you’ll love
- Crispy Sweet Potato Fries
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quesadillas
- Sweet Potato Breakfast Skillet
- Loaded Sweet Potatoes
Whether it’s to accompany your Sunday roast or a midweek dinner, roasted garlic sweet potato mash is here to take every meal from a 9 to a 10. The flavour combo of this dish is out of this world and your guests are sure to agree.
Join the foodie family! – Get awesome recipes sent straight to your inbox by signing up to my Weekly Mailing List (where you’ll receive your FREE ECOOKBOOK) and stay in touch on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest! 🧡
How to make Roasted Garlic Sweet Potato Mash (Full Recipe & Video)
Roasted Garlic Sweet Potato Mash
Ingredients (check list):
- 2 small Bulbs of Garlic
- 2 sprigs Fresh Rosemary
- 4.4lbs / 2kg lbs Sweet Potatoes, peeled & sliced into chunks
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 2/3 cup / 150ml Sour Cream
- 1/4-1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
Extras & Optionals
- Crispy Bacon
- Preheat oven to 180c (356f).
- Slice your Garlic Bulbs in half, drizzle with a little Olive Oil and place your Rosemary in the center - just like a mini garlic rosemary burger.
- Wrap in foil and place in the oven for approx 45-60mins mins or until soft and caramelized.
- Meanwhile, boil your Sweet Potatoes until easily sliced with a knife.
- Mash in your Butter, Garlic, Cinnamon, Salt and Pepper.
- Stir in your Sour Cream until smooth and creamy.
- Serve with any additional toppings.
Quick 1 min demo!
For more sweet potato goodness check out my Loaded Sweet Potatoes!