Take your homemade mac and cheese to new heights by adding Roasted Garlic. The caramelized hint of the garlic makes this baked mac and cheese truly irresistible!
There’s a million different variations of mac and cheese and so much debate over the best way to make it. For me, it’s gotta be gooey with a crispy top. This time we’ve got exactly that, just with a little extra goodness…
If you’ve been a reader of mine for a while you’ll have noticed I’m a little obsessed with roasted garlic. I literally eat the stuff with a fork 😂 (100% serious).
When you roast garlic low and slow it caramelizes and completely transforms the flavour into something sweet and nutty. You get a gorgeous hint of garlic, without it being all up your face.
I usually add a small amount of garlic powder to mac and cheese, which works wonders. But it can be quite pungent if you put more than about a tsp in. With roasted garlic, you can put an entire large bulb of garlic in and you’ll still be wanting more.
How to Roast Garlic
- Slice off the tip of the bulb to expose the cloves.
- Drizzle with olive oil and wrap in foil.
- Roast at 356f/180c for 45mins-1hour or until golden brown and buttery.
Baked Mac and Cheese with Roasted Garlic
Once you’ve roasted the garlic, squeeze it out of the cloves and mash with a fork and a pinch of salt until smooth.
When it comes to the cheese sauce, I always go with a simple triad of cheeses:
- Sharp Cheddar
No need for artsy fartsy cheeses, these 3 together are a force to be reckoned with.
Another non-negotiable in all mac and cheeses is a good dollop of mustard. This emphasises the cheese an insane amount.
Whether you like mustard or not, trust me, it makes the world of difference. Very subtle as well, you won’t notice it’s there.
How to make Baked Mac and Cheese
- Melt butter and stir with roasted garlic.
- Add flour and stir into a paste.
- Gradually add milk and whisk until thickened, then add mustard, seasoning and cheese.
- Add al dente pasta and stir to combine.
- Add everything to a baking dish and top with breadcrumbs and extra parmesan.
- Bake until golden, then sprinkle with fresh chives.
Try not to think of the chives as just garnish, they actually add gorgeous flavour to the dish. Chives are close family to garlic so they really compliment the flavours.
Plus they add a pop of colour which is always nice.
Hey, whilst you’re here why not check out my other recipes?
Pasta Bake Recipes
Roasted Garlic Recipes
Okay, let’s tuck into the recipe shall we?
Join the foodie family! – Get awesome recipes sent straight to your inbox by signing up to my Weekly Mailing List (where you’ll receive your FREE ECOOKBOOK) and stay in touch on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest! 🧡
How to make Roasted Garlic Mac and Cheese (Full Recipe & Video)
Roasted Garlic Mac and Cheese
- Baking Dish
- 2x Large Saucepan (one for pasta, one for sauce)
- 14oz / 400g Elbow Macaroni (or other short-cut pasta)
- 4 cups / 1 litre Milk, at room temp
- 1 large bulb of Garlic
- 2 cups / 200g Sharp Cheddar, grated
- 2 cups / 200g Mozzarella, shredded
- 1 cup / 70g Parmesan, grated (save half for top)
- 1/2 cup / 30g Breadcrumbs, or as needed
- 3 tbsp Plain Flour
- 3 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- Fresh Chives, finely diced
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- Olive Oil / Oil Spray
- Slice the tip off the garlic bulb to expose the cloves, drizzle with olive oil and wrap in foil. Pop in the oven for 45-60mins at 356f/180c or until golden brown and soft as butter.
- Squeeze out the garlic & mash with a pinch of salt to completely smooth it out. Add to a large saucepan with butter and stir to combine. Stir in flour to form a paste, then gradually pour in your milk, whisking as you go to avoid lumps. Once thickened, add mustard and seasoning, then stir in your cheeses (remember to save half parmesan).
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in salted boiling water until only JUST cooked. You want it still a bit hard. Reserve a cup of starchy pasta water (see notes) then drain and combine with cheese sauce.
- Add everything to a baking dish, top with parmesan then breadcrumbs and finish with a pinch of salt & pepper and oil spray. Pop in the oven at 390f/200c for 20mins or until golden on top. Sprinkle fresh chives over the top and serve.
Quick 1 min demo!
For another delicious baked mac and cheese recipe check out my Spicy Bacon Mac and Cheese!