A simple and delicious carrot soup recipe that’s easy to make and bursting with flavour!
If you’re ever left wondering ‘what can I do with a bunch of carrots?’ this right here is one heck of an option. This soup is always one of my go-to’s – it’s perfect to serve as a starter or even as the main event. Follow me…
Roasted Carrot Soup
At its core this soup is incredible simple. BUT, there are a few nifty tips and tricks to really enhancing your carrot soup. First thing you’ll want to do is introduce a second vegetable.
Carrot & Swede
This soup is majority carrot and that’s what makes up the majority of the flavour, but by adding a second veg (here we’re going for swede aka turnip) you offer another layer of flavour. It adds a bit more depth to the soup. Parsnip also works great as a side kick.
It breaks my heart when I see people make carrot soup by boiling the carrots (yes I am that dramatic 😂). Sure, you need to soften carrots for a soup, but by roasting the carrots you not only soften them but also caramelize them. This in turn adds more flavour.
Carrot Soup Seasoning
I keep it fairly simple here and use cumin and ground coriander. I coat the carrots/swede in these before roasting.
Process shots: add carrot/swede to a large tray (photo 1), coat in oil, cumin coriander and s&p (photo 2), roast in the oven (photo 3).
How to make Carrot Soup
Alrighty, carrots are roasting, let’s start the souping process (technical term 🤪). To create the base of the soup a concoction of celery, onion and garlic does the trick. Fried in copious amounts of butter, obviously.
Scrape the Pan!
Once you add in the carrot/swede you’ll notice a little char left on the tray. Don’t waste this, this is flavour worth using up. Just add a splash of hot stock and scrape it off with a plastic spatula/turner and pour it in the pot with everything. Waste not want not and all that!
How long to simmer carrot soup?
Because you’ve already cooked the carrot, the simmering part is just to marry all the flavours together. In such case I recommend simmering for as long as you have time for, with an absolute minimum being 15mins. In all cases just make sure you’ve got the lid on or it’ll reduce too much.
Process shots: add butter, celery, onion & garlic to large pot (photo 1), fry until browned/softened (photo 2), add in carrot/swede (photo 3), add splash of stock to pan (photo 4), scrape with plastic spatula (photo 5), pour in stock and simmer (photo 6).
Serving Carrot Soup
From there it’s just a case of using a hand blender to blitz it up until nice and smooth. This recipe will serve 4 as a main or 6 as a starter.
Carrot Soup Garnish
I usually go for a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of fresh thyme leaves (thyme and carrots are a match made in heaven). You could sub the oil with cream, if you wanna go wild you could also add crispy bacon/pancetta. An entire bakery worth of bread alongside is also non-negotiable.
If you’re looking for another easy and delicious carrot recipe check out my Honey Balsamic Roasted Carrots!
For more similar recipes check out these beauties too:
Delicious & Easy Soup Recipes
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this carrot soup shall we?!
How to make Carrot Soup (Full Recipe & Video)
Roasted Carrot Soup
- Large Baking Tray & Plastic Spatula/Turner
- Large Pot with Lid
- Ladle (for serving)
- Jug (for stock)
- Wooden Spoon
- Hand Blender
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
Ingredients (check list):
- 1.6lb / 750g Carrot, scrubbed & diced
- 9oz / 250g Swede/Turnip, peeled & diced (see notes)
- 6 cups / 1.5 litres Vegetable Stock, or as needed
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 3 cloves of Garlic, finely diced
- 2 ribs of Celery, finely diced
- 1 large Onion, finely diced
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp EACH: Cumin, Ground Coriander
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- Fresh Thyme, Extra Virgin Olive Oil to serve (see notes)
- Roast: On a large baking tray mix carrot & swede with 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp cumin and ground coriander and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Roast in the oven at 200C/390F for 30mins, or until lightly browned and soft.
- Base: In a large pot over medium heat melt in 3 tbsp butter. Add celery, onion & garlic and fry until they begin to soften and brown.
- Scrape Tray: Add in roasted carrot/swede and add a splash of hot stock to the pan. Use a plastic spatula/turner to scrape off all the flavour and pour into the pot.
- Simmer: Pour in 4 cups/1 litre stock (or enough to cover everything) and bring to a simmer. Pop on the lid and leave simmering on low for as long as you have time for (15mins+).
- Blitz: Take off lid and use a hand blender to blitz into a soup, pouring in more stock to thin out to preference.
- Serve: Season with a hefty pinch of salt and pepper (season well to bring out the best in this simple soup). Serve individual portions with preferred garnish (see notes).
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved this Carrot Soup recipe then be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!