This cheddar broccoli soup has a dreamy creamy texture and is packed to the brim with flavour!
Broccoli and cheese really are a match made in heaven, and today we’re celebrating that match in the form of soup 😛. Follow me…
Okay, we’ll get to the soup in just a sec, but can I just quickly divert your attention to some homemade croutons?! Because these croutons are coated in parmesan, meaning they come out super flavoursome AND super crispy.
What kind of bread to use?
I love using French Baguette. In general though, you’ll want to use something fairly thick/firm (Sourdough also works well).
Do I have to add parmesan?
Nope! But it is a super delicious addition, so definitely do if you can.
Process shots: slice bread (photo 1), slice into bite-sized pieces (photo 2), coat in olive oil, parmesan, salt & pepper (photo 3), bake until crisp (photo 4).
Broccoli Cheese Soup
One of the key steps in creating the most delicious broccoli soup is using the WHOLE broccoli. The stem is absolutely fine to eat, we’ll just slice off any gnarly bits and finely dice it before frying off with onion, carrot, celery and garlic. The florets will be simmered in the stock – no need to fry them!
What kind of cheese to use?
Broccoli and cheddar is the classic combo, and that’s what we’re sticking to here. I recommend using a nice sharp/mature cheddar, just to pack in the flavour, but a milder variety will work just as well.
I like this soup fairly thick and creamy. The thicker texture allows the cheese to melt more easily. If needed, you can easily thin out the soup with more stock at the end!
Process shots: add butter, broccoli stem, carrot, celery and onion to pot (photo 1), fry until soft then fry garlic (photo 2), add broccoli florets and stock (photo 3), simmer with the lid on (photo 4), blend then stir in cream (photo 5), stir in cheese (photo 6).
Broccoli Cheddar Soup FAQ
Do I have to make the croutons?
Nope! This soup will still be delicious without the croutons.
Can I make this ahead of time?
You sure can, just allow to completely cool then tightly store in the fridge until needed. Reheat over low heat on the stove.
What can I do with leftovers?
Allow to cool then tightly store in the fridge for up to a few days, or freezer long-term.
Serving Broccoli Cheddar Soup
When serving the soup, you can add more cheddar if you’d like, alongside the croutons and a pinch of parsley if you’re feeling fancy!
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this broccoli soup shall we?!
How to make Broccoli Cheddar Soup (Full Recipe & Video)
Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Large Pot with Lid
- Wooden Spoon
- Hand Blender
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Cheese Grater
- Jug (for stock)
Ingredients (check list):
- 2 large heads of Broccoli (30-32oz/850-900g total)
- 4 cups / 1 litre Chicken Stock, plus more as needed
- 2/3 cup / 160ml Heavy/Double Cream, at room temp
- 2 cups / 200g grated Cheddar, plus more to serve if desired
- 1 large rib of Celery, finely diced
- 1 large Carrot, finely diced
- 1 medium Onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves of Garlic, finely diced
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 3/4 tsp Salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper, or to taste
- finely diced Fresh Parsley, to serve (optional)
- 5oz / 150g Baguette, or other firm/thick bread
- 3-4 tbsp Parmesan
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Remove the florets from the broccoli and slice them into bite-sized pieces. Slice off any gnarly bits from the stem, then finely dice it.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add in the broccoli stem, alongside onion, celery and carrot. Fry until everything has softened and has started to tinge golden, then add in the garlic and fry for 1-2mins longer.
- Add in the broccoli florets, then pour in the stock and season with salt & pepper (the stock should barely cover the broccoli). Lower heat, pop on the lid and simmer for around 20mins, or until the broccoli is fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, dice the bread into large bite-sized pieces and place on a large greaseproof baking tray. Toss in a good drizzle of olive oil and a hefty pinch of salt & pepper. Toss in parmesan, then sprinkle more over the top. Bake in the oven at 180C/350F for around 10mins, or until deep golden and visibly crispy. I typically just eyeball the measurements for these!
- Once the broccoli is tender, turn off the heat and use a hand blender to blitz everything until smooth. It should be fairly thick at this point (thicker soup = cheese melts easier). Stir in cream, then stir in the cheese a handful at a time. Adjust seasoning if needed and stir in more stock a splash at a time to thin out if desired.
- Serve soup with croutons and more cheese (optional). Enjoy!
Quick 1 min demo!
Your Private Notes:
For another creamy soup recipe check out my Creamy Cauliflower Soup!
For more similar recipes check out these beauties:
Delicious Soup Recipes
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Spring Onion Soup
- Roasted Veggie Soup
- Roasted Tomato Soup
- Tomato Tortellini Soup
If you loved this Broccoli Soup Recipe then be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!