This is the easiest and most delicious apple sauce you’ll ever make! Perfect with pork or a roast dinner.
Homemade Apple Sauce
Apple sauce is one of my favourite condiments out there. It’s packed full of nostalgia for me, something I grew up with and something I still devour to this day. The best thing about apple sauce is it’s so freaking easy to make. Plus, the difference between store-bought and homemade apple sauce is huge. It would be rude not to make at home 😜 First things first, let’s see what you’ll need:
Apple Sauce Ingredients
- Apples – I prefer sharp green apples like a Bramley. They balance out the sweetness of the sugar nicely. You can use other, sweeter varieties, you’ll just have to adjust or omit the sugar.
- Sugar – I recommend brown sugar. It’s got a deeper and slightly more subtle sweetness than caster sugar. You know I don’t have a sweet tooth, so this is right at my limit 😂
- Lemon – This will not only help prevent the apples from browning, but it’ll also balance out the sugar too.
- Butter – This is my secret weapon. A dash of butter stirred through right at the end adds a gorgeous richness to the sauce.
- Cinnamon – This is optional, but you can add a pinch if you fancy!
How to make Apple Sauce
Easiest thing in the world to make. You don’t need water or juice, just bung the apple, sugar and lemon juice in a pot and simmer over low-medium heat. The apple will gradually break down and start forming a sauce. At first it’ll seem like the apples are just going to fry, but stick with it and you’ll gradually see them break down.
Once the sauce has formed, I then like to stir through the butter. You won’t need much, but like I said earlier, this adds a gorgeous rich flavour.
Process shots: add apple, sugar, lemon to pot (photo 1), simmer then stir through butter/cinnamon (photo 2).
Apple Sauce FAQ
Should apple sauce be served hot or cold?
Either! I don’t recommend piping hot, but it works great either straight out the fridge or warm fresh off the stove.
How long does apple sauce last in the fridge?
I usually keep it for 5-6days, but it should keep for around a week (just use your discretion)
Can you freeze apple sauce?
Yup! Just allow to completely cool then store in the freezer. Thaw in the fridge before serving.
How to make smooth apple sauce?
I prefer a slightly chunky texture, but if you want it smooth you can use a potato masher to smooth it out at the end.
Serving Apple Sauce
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this apple sauce shall we?!
How to make Apple Sauce (Full Recipe & Video)
- Small/Medium Pot & Wooden Spoon
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
Ingredients (check list):
- 4 Bramley Apples, peeled & diced into small chunks (see notes)
- 4 tbsp Brown Sugar, or more to taste
- 1/2 Lemon, juice only
- 1/2 tbsp Salted Butter, or unsalted butter with a pinch of salt to taste
- pinch of Ground Cinnamon (optional)
- Into a small/medium pot add apple, lemon juice and sugar. Stir to coat then turn on a low-medium heat.
- Gently simmer for 20mins, or until the apple breaks down into a sauce, stirring frequently. Stir in butter and cinnamon, then taste test and adjust accordingly with sugar if needed.
- Enjoy hot or cold!
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved this Apple Sauce recipe then be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!