It’s time to make your homemade cranberry sauce the centrepiece of your roast dinner! Adding just a few spices will really take your cranberry sauce to the next level.
Homemade Cranberry Sauce
The first thing you’ve gotta make sure when serving up cranberry sauce is that it’s homemade. It’s SO easy to make cranberry sauce and the difference between homemade and store bought is crazy.
To make a really basic cranberry sauce, you only need 3 ingredients:
And that’s it! Of course it’s best to add a few more goodies, which we’ll talk about in a sec, but for a basic cranberry it’s just that trio of ingredients. Plus, it’s a super easy process that takes 10mins.
How to make Cranberry Sauce (quick summary)
- Add all ingredients into a suitably sized saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and stir to combine.
- Reduce to a simmer until cranberries pop and the sauce thickens.
- Grab a spoon and tuck in!
Spiced Cranberry Sauce
There’s quite a few spices that work nicely with cranberry sauce, but here’s my spices of choice:
- Cayenne Pepper
Cinnamon works so perfectly with the sweetness of the sauce, nutmeg adds a nice bit of festivity and cayenne pepper injects a good bit of heat. Other spices that work great with cranberry sauce are cloves, allspice and ginger.
How do I thicken cranberry sauce?
Cranberries have a lot of natural pectin, so when they burst and mould with the sugar, the sauce will naturally thicken. No need whatsoever for cornflour, gelatin or things like that.
Can I use frozen cranberries?
Yup, it may just take a little while longer for them to burst and form a sauce.
What juice to use in cranberry sauce?
The classic option is orange juice. I tend to use a 50/50 ratio of orange juice and either water or another juice such as pomegranate or cranberry. I find that using full orange juice turns it too ‘orangey’. Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but just not to my taste buds. Each to their own!
How long does cranberry sauce keep?
As always I’m not the best person to ask this question, because for me it’s good until it grows legs and stalking walking out the fridge. But it’ll definitely keep for a week if covered and left in the fridge.
What to serve cranberry sauce with?
- Herb Roasted Spatchcock Chicken
- One Pan Roast Dinner
- Homemade Pigs in Blankets
- Cranberry Turkey Meatballs
What to do with leftover cranberry sauce?
And breathe.. We made it. That’s all the extra top tips from me, now it’s all down to you! Let’s tuck into the full spiced cranberry sauce recipe shall we?!
How to make Spiced Cranberry Sauce (Full Recipe & Video)
Spiced Cranberry Sauce
- 1 Medium/Large Pot
- Wooden Spoon
Ingredients (check list):
- 12oz / 350g Fresh Cranberries (see notes)
- 1/2 cup / 100g Brown Sugar (see notes)
- 1/2 cup / 125ml Fresh Orange Juice
- 1/2 cup / 125ml Water or more juice (see notes)
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper, or to taste (see notes)
- squeeze of Lime Juice
- Salt, to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Simmer over medium heat until the cranberries pop and the sauce thickens. Taste for seasoning/sweetness/spice and adjust accordingly.
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved this Spiced Cranberry Sauce Recipe then be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!