This deviled egg pasta salad is loaded with so many goodies. It’s also so quick and easy to make!
Ever torn between taking either a pasta salad or egg salad to potluck? Why choose when you can have both 😛. This pasta is PERFECT for Summer, awesome as a side or great just as a quick & easy lunch. Follow me…
The ULTIMATE Egg Pasta Salad
Whilst it may seem like an odd idea to combine egg and salad pasta, I promise it totally works. You get those same iconic flavours of deviled eggs all wrapped inside a loaded pasta salad.
What makes something deviled?
Deviling something essentially means to aggressively season or add spice. In this context, and in the context of deviled eggs, the key ingredient is mustard. Alongside this I like to add white pepper, which gives a very gentle kick of heat, and hot sauce, which gives more of an intense kick of spice.
Is this pasta salad spicy?
Because the dressing is very creamy, this spice in this recipe is actually fairly mellow. It’s more about the flavour that the mustard, pepper and hot sauce offers. You can however adjust the measurements to suit your spicy needs!
Making Deviled Egg Pasta Salad
The dressing itself is mayonnaise based, but I also like to add in sour cream for some extra creaminess. A lot of deviled egg pasta recipes actually mash/stir in the cooked egg yolk in with the dressing. Whilst this is a more traditional way to make deviled eggs, I find it turns the dressing a bit clumpy when it’s used as a pasta dressing.
What Pasta to use?
100% gotta be macaroni! Just cook in salted water until al dente, then drain in cold water until completely.
What fillings can I add?
The world is your oyster, but here’s the usual suspects in mine:
- Dill Pickles
- Red Onion
Process shots: in a small bowl add mayo, sour cream, pickle juice, dijon, hot sauce, salt, sugar and pepper (photo 1), stir to combine (photo 2), cook, rinse and drain pasta (photo 3), add hard boiled egg, fillings & dressing then combine (photo 4).
Serving Deviled Egg Pasta Salad
To serve up I recommend sprinkling over a few pinches of smoked paprika. This adds a nice pop of colour, but also adds a nice smoky twang. You can also serve individual portions with a few more drops of hot sauce if you fancied!
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yep! Just tightly cover in the fridge until needed (will last around 3 days).
Looking for another Summer pot luck winner? Check out my Creamy Bacon Potato Salad!
For more similar recipes check out these beauties:
Delicious Pasta Salad Recipes
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this deviled egg pasta salad shall we?!
How to make Deviled Egg Pasta Salad (Full Recipe & Video)
Deviled Egg Pasta Salad
- Medium Pot with Lid (for eggs)
- Medium Pot & Colander (for pasta)
- Small Mixing Bowl & Spatula (for dressing)
- Large Mixing Bowl & Salad Tossers
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
Ingredients (check list):
- 1 cup / 240g Full Fat Mayo
- 1/4 cup / 60g Sour Cream
- 1 1/2 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tbsp Dill Pickle Juice
- 1/2 tsp EACH: Sugar, Salt, Hot Sauce (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp White Pepper
- 9oz / 250g Dried Macaroni
- 8 Hard Boiled Eggs, diced (see notes)
- 1/3 cup / 4-5 rashers Bacon, cooked, cooled & chopped
- 1/3 cup / 4-5 small Dill Pickles, finely diced (Gherkins in UK)
- 1/3 cup / 1 large stalk Celery, finely diced
- 1/3 cup / 1 small Red Onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp Chives, finely diced
- few pinches of Smoked Paprika, to serve
- Pasta: Pop your pasta in salted boiling water and cook until al dente. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water until completely cold. Ensure you've shook out all the water, then place in a large mixing bowl.
- Dressing: In a small mixing bowl combine mayo, sour cream, dijon mustard, pickle juice, sugar, salt, white pepper and hot sauce. Taste test for seasoning then adjust accordingly.
- Pasta Salad: To the large mixing bowl of pasta add hard boiled egg, bacon, celery, red onion, chives and pickles. Pour in the dressing and use salad tossers to mix everything.
- Serve: Sprinkle over a few pinches of smoked paprika. Tightly cover and store in the fridge or serve up right away!
Quick 1 min demo!
- Place eggs in a pot and cover with cold water (make sure every part of all the eggs is comfortably covered).
- Turn on high heat and leave until the you reach a rolling boil. Once the eggs start dancing, immediately turn off the heat, pop on a lid and leave on the hob for 10mins.
- After 10 mins, spoon eggs into a bowl of ice (or very cold) water (this is to stop the cooking process).
- Peel and dice eggs to desired texture for egg mayo.
If you loved this Deviled Egg Pasta Salad Recipe then be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!