This Nando’s inspired peri peri chicken traybake is packed to the brim with flavour and is so simple to make!
This is one of those timeless dinners that’s so perfect all year round. It’s completely effortless too! Follow me…
Peri Peri Chicken Marinade
To really bring the chicken to life we’re going to marinate it. The marinade itself is really simple and requires just a handful of ingredients:
- Peri Peri Seasoning – I recommend using Nando’s Peri Peri Rub.
- Olive Oil – Creates the base of the marinade and helps prevent the chicken from burning.
- Lime Juice – Adds flavours and tenderises the chicken.
- Garlic – Adds flavour, just make sure it’s finely grated/minced so it blends in with the marinade and doesn’t burn.
- Salt & Pepper – For a top up of seasoning.
What cut of chicken should I use?
I love using bone-in skin-on chicken thighs. That way you get the gorgeous crispy skin on top, with juicy chicken underneath.
How long do I marinate the chicken for?
I recommend a minimum of 2 hours, but I typically do 4 – 24 hours.
Process shots: add marinade to bowl (photo 1), whisk (photo 2), add chicken (photo 3), mix the marinate (photo 4).
Peri Peri Chicken Traybake
For the traybake we’re going to be adding red pepper, onion, garlic and sweet potatoes, alongside halloumi and cherry tomatoes. I love using sweet potatoes as the sweetness balances out the salty and spicy flavours chicken and halloumi. You could sub regular potatoes though if you’d prefer.
The traybake is a kind of ‘bung and bake’ situation, but there are a few tips and tricks to make sure it comes out perfect:
- Brush Chicken – When you add the chicken to the tray, use a brush to collect all the leftover marinade from the bowl and brush it over the chicken. Just so no flavour gets wasted!
- Baste – Take the tray out and baste the chicken in the juices, just to keep it moist and flavoursome.
- Rearrange – When you take the tray out I recommend moving/hiding any bits of veg that are charring too quickly.
- Halloumi & Tomatoes – These will go on towards the end. Don’t add them at the start otherwise they’ll burn.
Process shots: add veg to tray with oil, salt & pepper (photo 1), add chicken and brush with marinade (photo 2), bake then add halloumi and cherry tomatoes (photo 3), bake again (photo 4).
Peri Peri Chicken Traybake FAQ
Where can I find Nando’s seasoning?
You’ll find sachets of ‘Nando’s Peri Peri Rub’ in most supermarkets, usually placed near other Nando’s products (sauces, jam etc).
Can I use a different cut of chicken?
You could use drumsticks or a mix or drumsticks and thighs, just be vigilant of timing if they are different sizes. You’ll also want to flip the chicken drumsticks so both sides get crispy. I don’t recommend using breasts, the tray is in the oven too long for them to stay moist.
How spicy is this recipe?
It’s as spicy as you want it to be! I like using the ‘Medium’ spice rub, but you could use hot or mild if you’d prefer.
Serving a Peri Peri Chicken Traybake
Once the traybake is cooked, I recommend serving everything up, then whisking the juices left in the tray. This will help bind everything. You can then drizzle this over the chicken once served!
This is great served as it is, but some buttered hunks of bread is always welcome to mop up all those lovely juices. You could even shred the chicken off the bone and make some wraps or pitas!
Alrighty, lets tuck into the full recipe for this peri peri chicken traybake shall we?!
How to make Nando’s Peri Peri Chicken Traybake (Full Recipe & Video)
Nando's Peri Peri Chicken Traybake
- Large Deep Baking Tray (mine is 30cmx40cm / 12"x16")
- Large Mixing Bowl, Tongs & Cling Film (for marinating chicken)
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
Ingredients (check list):
- 2x 25g packets of Nando's Peri Peri Seasoning (see notes)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 cloves of Garlic, finely diced then mashed into a paste with the side of your knife
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Lime, juice only
- 1kg / 2lb skin-on bone-in Chicken Thighs (see notes)
- 500g / 1lb Sweet Potato, peeled & diced into large bite-sized pieces
- 3 Red Peppers, diced into large bite-sized pieces
- 3 small Red Onions, quartered & peeled
- 4 cloves of Garlic, lightly crushed (skins left on)
- 150g / 5.3oz Cherry Tomatoes
- 150g / 5.3oz Halloumi, diced into small cubes
- Olive Oil, as needed
- Salt & Pepper, as needed
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together peri peri seasoning, salt, pepper, garlic, olive oil and lime juice. Add the chicken thighs and toss to fully coat. Tightly cover and marinate in the fridge for as long as you have time for (2 - 24 hours).
- In a large deep baking tray combine sweet potato, peppers, onions and garlic with a light drizzle of oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Spread everything out then nestle in the chicken thighs skin side up. Use a brush to collect any leftover marinade from the bowl and brush it on top of the chicken. Place in the oven for 30mins at 200C/400F.
- Remove the tray and baste the chicken in the juices. Tuck in any ingredients that are starting to char, then scatter over the halloumi and cherry tomatoes. Place back in the oven for 15mins, or until the chicken is lightly charred on top and piping hot right through the centre. The tomatoes should be slightly wrinkled and the halloumi should be light golden.
- Evenly divide everything for serving, then whisk the liquid left in the pan to combine the fats & juices. Drizzle over that bonus flavour then tuck in and enjoy!
Quick 1 min demo!
Your Private Notes:
For more similar recipes check out these beauties:
- Roasted Chicken Leg Traybake
- Honey Mustard Sausage Traybake
- Spanish Chicken Traybake
- Chipotle Chicken Traybake