Sweet, salty, spicy and bursting with flavour, these truly are the BEST Roasted Sweet Potatoes. Baked with Rosemary, Garlic and Chorizo, you won’t have them any other way!
The BEST Roasted Sweet Potatoes!
I’ve been wanting to upload a roasted sweet potato recipe for a while, but have waited until I could offer something insanely delicious. I mean we’ve all roasted sweet potatoes right? Well, these are next level. IF I do say so myself 🤣 Here’s why I think you’ll love them:
- Rosemary & Garlic – Name a more iconic duo.
- EXTRA Crispy – Alongside the crispy rosemary stems and crispy chorizo crumbs, I’ll show you a few tips to getting crispy roasted sweet potatoes!
- Balance of Flavours – The chorizo offers a salty and spicy aspect which plays off nicely with the sweetness of the potatoes.
These are the perfect side dish for just about anything. But realistically I could sit and eat them straight from the bowl.
Garlic Rosemary Sweet Potatoes
Honestly? These potatoes are gorgeous with just the garlic and rosemary, so if you’re vegan/vegetarian you’re in luck! The chorizo just takes things to new heights. In both circumstances though what we DO want is a crispy potato. I have an in depth post on getting Crispy Sweet Potato Fries, but sweet potato chunks are a little more difficult to get crispy. Here’s a few tips to help you along the way though:
Tips for Crispy Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Use a lot of oil – I actually use 2.5 tbsp for 2lb/1kg. Don’t skimp on this or they’ll come out soft and chewy.
- Space them out – Don’t pile them on top of each other or they’ll steam instead of roast.
- Perfect temp – 200c/390f is the sweet spot. Too high and they’ll char before they cook through, too low and they’ll slowly turn to mush.
How to make the best Roasted Sweet Potatoes (quick summary)
- Dice sweet potato into 1″ chunks.
- Combine with fresh rosemary, whole garlic cloves, olive oil and seasoning.
- Roast and flip.
- Sprinkle Chorizo then quick roast.
Chorizo Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Here’s where things get intense. That crispy, smoky chorizo oozing out it’s gorgeous oil into the sweet potato? Yes please.
I use regular cured Spanish Chorizo and grate it on a box grater to get the fine chorizo crumbs. From there you really only need to roast the potatoes again for a matter of minutes, just to crisp up the chorizo and extract some oil too.
You could also finely dice the chorizo to mimic the crumbs, totally up to you. You may just need to roast for a few more mins at the end to get it nice and crispy.
Should I peel the Sweet Potatoes?
I tend to for this recipe, but honestly it doesn’t make a huge difference. The skin doesn’t get hugely crispy, but does add some nice flavour.
Can I use Dried Rosemary?
I don’t recommend dried herbs for this recipe. The fresh rosemary infuses the oil and potatoes far better. It also leaves you with crispy rosemary stems, which are too good to miss out on!
Can I use bacon or pancetta instead of chorizo?
Chorizo has a stack more flavour, it also adds a gentle spice which works nicely with the sweetness of the potatoes. However, if you don’t have or like chorizo, bacon/pancetta will add a nice salty aspect to the dish. Just obviously roast it longer with the spuds to get crispy.
And there we have it! Your new favourite roasted sweet potatoes ready and waiting 🙂 If you love the sound of this recipe I know you’ll love my Roasted Sweet Potato Quesadillas and Roasted Sweet Potato Curry. You should totally check out these too:
Crispy Roast Potato Recipes
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- Crispy Roasted Baby Potatoes
- Crispy Oven Baked French Fries
- Crispy Goose Fat Roast Potatoes
Okey dokey, let’s tuck into these roasted sweet potatoes shall we?!
How to make Garlic Rosemary Roasted Sweet Potatoes (Full Recipe & Video)
Garlic Rosemary Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Chorizo
- 28cm x 40cm (11” x 16”) Oven Tray (or similar size)
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Box Grater (for chorizo)
Ingredients (check list):
- 2lb / 1kg Sweet Potatoes, peeled and diced into 1" chunks
- 2.6oz / 75g Chorizo (see notes)
- 2.5 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 bulb of Garlic, cloves slightly crushed with palm of hand, skins left on
- few sprigs of Rosemary
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Combine 2lb/1kg sweet potato chunks with 2.5tbsp olive oil, a small bulb of garlic cloves, a few sprigs of fresh rosemary and a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- Space out as much as you can, then pop in the oven at 200c/390f for 30-40mins or until fork tender and nicely caramelized on the outside. Flip the potatoes 1-2 times throughout and turn oven tray around if cooking unevenly.
- Sprinkle 2.6oz/75g chorizo crumbs over the top and pop back in the oven for a few mins (careful, the chorizo chars quickly, this is just to crisp it up slightly and extract some of that gorgeous oil).
- Remove garlic and large woody stalks of rosemary (keep crispy stems if not completely charred). Serve up right away with an extra pinch of salt (optional).
Quick 1 min demo!
Your Private Notes:
If you loved these Roasted Sweet Potato Recipe then be sure to pin it for later! Already made them or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments below and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!