These Potatoes are infused with Lemon Juice then roasted with Garlic and Rosemary. They’re ultra crispy and super easy to make!
Yes, you really can have your cake and eat it! Lemon potatoes that are actually crispy. Follow me…
A lot of lemon potato recipes either coat the potatoes with lemon juice and roast them, or simply roast the potatoes with lemon wedges. Whilst this infuses the potatoes nicely, the excess moisture causes the potatoes to steam instead of roast, leaving them limp and soft. To prevent this we need to start off with one crucial step.
Parboiling the Potatoes
Boiling the potatoes serves 2 main purposes:
- Infusing Lemon – As the potatoes boil place in some squeezed lemons to infuse the potatoes. This way the lemon flavour will run right through the centre of the potatoes, not just on the surface.
- Remove Starch – When you boil potatoes you remove starch, which is what causes potatoes to go gloopy in the centre when they’re baked. Removing starch will ensure the potatoes come out nice and fluffy in the centre.
Another crucial step is allowing the potatoes to steam dry. This way you remove the moisture from the centre of the potatoes, meaning they’ll come out light and crispy, but you remain with the infused lemon flavour. Win win!
Process shots: add potatoes to pot (photo 1), pour in cold water and add lemon (photo 2), boil until knife tender (photo 3), drain and steam dry (photo 4).
Roasted Lemon Potatoes
You’ll want to steam dry the potatoes for at least 10mins, but preferably until they’ve stopped steaming and are cool enough to handle. From there just grab a large baking tray and chuck ’em on! Lemon skins included.
Space them out!
Important to space out the spuds or they’ll steam instead of roast. Roughly touching is fine, just not piled on top of each other.
Garlic and Rosemary
Lemon, garlic and rosemary is such a gorgeous flavour combo. The potatoes take on these flavours really nicely. Fresh garlic and rosemary work best, no need to dice them up just chuck them straight on.
Process shots: add potatoes and lemon onto a tray (photo 1), add seasoning and oil and roast (photo 2).
Serving Lemon Roasted Potatoes
Once they’ve roasted just remove the garlic, rosemary and lemon skins. From there I like to toss through some fresh parsley.
Can I use other herbs?
The lemon potatoes work great with a variety of different herbs! I’ve roasted with thyme instead of rosemary which works nicely. You could even switch out the parsley for basil or dill!
How lemony are these potatoes?
The have a subtle lemon flavour through the middle. When you’ve JUST served them I recommend an extra squeeze of lemon juice to taste. Only do this at the very end so they say nice and crispy.
And there we have it! All my top tips for the perfect lemon potatoes.
If you’re looking for another delicious lemon potato recipe check out my Browned Butter Lemon Baby Potatoes!
Hey, whilst you’re here why not check out my other recipes:
Crispy Potato Recipes
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for these roasted lemon potatoes shall we?!
How to make Lemon Potatoes (Full Recipe & Video)
Crispy Lemon Roasted Potatoes
- Medium/Large Pot & Colander
- Large Greaseproof Baking Tray
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Plastic Turner/Spatula
Ingredients (check list):
- 2lb / 1kg Baking Potatoes, diced into chunks
- 3 Lemons
- 3-4 large sprigs of Fresh Rosemary, halved
- 1 small bulb of Garlic, cloves separated but left in skins
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp finely diced Fresh Parsley, or as needed (to serve)
- 1.5 tsp Salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper, or to taste
- Place potatoes into a pot and fill with cold water until they're only just covered. Quarter 2 of your lemons and squeeze all of the juice into the water, then add the leftover lemon skin in there too. Sprinkle in 1 tsp salt, give it a stir then bring to a boil. Cook until knife tender, around 15-20mins depending on size.
- Drain and leave to steam dry for at least 10mins, but preferably until they completely stop steaming and are cool enough to handle.
- Add everything (including lemon skins) to a large baking tray and throw on the rosemary and garlic cloves. Drizzle over 2 tbsp olive oil and season with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper (or to taste). Give a good mix, space everything out then pop in the oven at 200C/390F for 35-45mins, or until golden and crunchy, tossing everything once of twice during.
- Remove garlic cloves, lemon and rosemary stalks, then sprinkle of fresh parsley. Divide remaining lemon into 4 wedges and squeeze over lemon juice to taste JUST before serving (so they stay nice and crispy).
Quick 1 min demo!
Your Private Notes:
If you loved this Lemon Potatoes recipe then be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!