If you’ve never tried Bacon Jam before your life is about to change for the better. Spread it on toast, chuck it in a grilled cheese or even on a burger!
But for real, I can’t remember my life pre bacon jam and quite frankly I don’t wish to remember either. It’s literally my go-to addition for just about anything. My favourite combination being me, a spoon and a jar of bacon jam.
For somebody with a prominent savoury tooth bacon jam is perfect. A little sweet, a little salty and a whole lot of tasty. Ew that was cringe sorry.
My point is bacon jam is the perfect balance of everything. It’s all about creating layers of flavour, not just about making sweet bacon. Here, let’s take a peek at the ingredients:
Bacon Jam Ingredients
- Brown Sugar
- Maple Syrup
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Strong Brewed Coffee
Okay, let’s address the 2 elephants in the room
Honestly I don’t really like coffee, but it truly works in bacon jam. It’s not overpowering in the slightest and gives a gorgeous depth of flavour to the jam. I’ve tested bacon jam with coffee and without, the difference is very noticeable!
Because bacon and bourbon is a match made in heaven. You actually end up burning off most of the alcohol so it isn’t too strong, but still gives a gently buzz to the jam.
When it comes to making bacon jam it’s all about cooking low and slow to really develop the flavours.
Best thing is it’s all done in one pan. Let’s take a look:
How to make Bacon Jam
- Fry bacon until it crisps, then remove from pan.
- Slowly caramelize your onions until golden and sticky.
- Add maple syrup and brown sugar.
- Stir in your vinegars, bourbon and coffee.
- Add bacon back in.
- Fry until a syrupy texture.
After that it’s just a case of adapting it to your texture preference. I usually pop it in a food processor and blitz a few times until slightly smooth but still textured.
How to use Bacon Jam
When it comes to using bacon jam, like I said earlier it truly goes with everything. Well, nearly everything that is. Here’s some ideas:
- Cheese and Crackers
- Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Bread/Croissants and butter
- Burger Filling
- Grilled Cheese
Personal favourite of mine has to be a grilled cheese with some nice sharp cheddar to cut through the sweetness!
Whilst you’re here, check out my other bacon recipes!
- Spicy Bacon Mac and Cheese
- Triple Cheese Stuffed Chicken Wrapped in Bacon
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad
- Penne Alfredo with Bacon & Sundried Tomato
- Date Night Baked Gnocchi with Bacon
Join the foodie family! – Get awesome recipes sent straight to your inbox by signing up to my Weekly Mailing List (where you’ll receive your FREE ECOOKBOOK) and stay in touch on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest! 🧡
How to make Bacon Jam (Full Recipe & Video)
Ingredients (check list):
- 1lb / 500g Bacon, chopped
- 1 large White Onion, diced
- 1/4 cup / 50g Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup / 60ml Maple Syrup
- 1/4 cup / 60ml Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 cup / 60ml Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 cup / 60ml Strong Brewed Coffee
- 1/4 cup / 60ml Bourbon
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Cook your bacon over medium heat until it crisps then remove from pan. If there is a considerable amount of fat then remove from the pan as well. A max of around 1 tbsp bacon fat should be left.
- Turn the heat to low and begin frying your onions. You want to fry them for a good 20-25mins to caramelize them and bring out as much sweetness as possible. If they begin to brown/char the heat is too high. Stir occasionally until deep golden and sticky.
- Crank back up to a medium heat and stir in your sugar, maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar, bourbon and coffee, then add your bacon. Allow to reduce until some of the liquid soaks up and becomes sticky. Test for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Pop in a food processor and blitz until desired texture.
Quick 1 min demo!
For another delicious Bacon Grilled Cheese Recipe check out my Brie, Bacon and Cranberry Grilled Cheese!