This Brie Mac and Cheese is loaded with crispy prosciutto and topped with a French baguette breadcrumb. The dreamiest creamiest mac and cheese you’ll ever make!
Mac and Cheese with Brie
I know, just when you thought I couldn’t get closer to a heart attack, I throw a whole block of brie into a mac and cheese recipe. But when I tell you it’s 100% worth it, oh sweet Jesus I mean it 🤤
EXTRA Creamy Mac and Cheese
Unlike most of my other mac and cheese recipes, this one has a much more mild and creamy flavour. The brie helps with most of this, but I also add French Comté (see recipe for subs), which has a gorgeous sweet, nutty and creamy flavour to it. It’s a nice change from the usual sharp tones of a cheddar mac and cheese.
Because really, what’s a creamy mac and cheese without a nice crispy topping? Best part in my opinion!!
Keeping with the French theme, I actually use French baguette for my mac and cheese crumb. I also usually buy it a couple of days in advance, so it’s ever-so-slightly firm by the time it comes to making the breadcrumbs.
How to toast breadcrumbs (quick summary)
- Tear baguette into chunks.
- Pulse in food processor.
- Melt butter in pan.
- Add breadcrumbs.
- Fry until golden.
Mac and Cheese with Prosciutto
Ohhhhhhh yes, it’s happening. Crispy prosciutto stirred through your mac and cheese? Absolute game changer!
How to make Brie Mac and Cheese with Prosciutto (quick summary)
- Fry prosciutto in a little oil.
- Flip when crisp, then remove.
- Melt in butter.
- Stir in flour.
- Whisk in milk.
- Add onion/garlic powder, dijon mustard, nutmeg and seasoning.
- Stir in brie, comté (see recipe for subs) and mozzarella.
- Stir in pasta and crispy prosciutto.
Baked Brie Mac and Cheese
Alrighty, let’s put those French breadcrumbs to good use.
Honestly? This mac and cheese is delicious before it’s baked with breadcrumbs, so if for whatever reason you want to do that you can. BUT, I truly believe baking mac and cheese always turns it up a notch. It’s marries the flavours and textures together. AND obviously that crispy top 😋
How to bake mac and cheese (quick summary)
- Pour mac and cheese into a 8″ x 12″ dish (or similar size)
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs, spray with oil and bake at 200C/390F for 20-25mins (uncovered).
And there we have it! An ultra dreamy creamy mac and cheese is yours for the taking! If you’re looking for another crazy delicious brie recipe, I know you’ll love my Brie, Bacon and Cranberry Grilled Cheese. If you’re looking for more mac and cheese recipes, I’ve also got you covered 😉
Baked Mac and Cheese Recipes
- Roasted Garlic Mac and Cheese
- Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- Spicy Bacon Mac and Cheese
- Gnocchi Mac and Cheese
Alrighty, let’s tuck into this brie mac and cheese recipe shall we?!
How to make Brie Mac and Cheese (Full Recipe & Video)
Brie Mac and Cheese
- Food Processor
- 12" Skillet & Wooden Spoon
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Jug (for milk)
- Cheese Grater
- Large Pot (for pasta)
- 8x12" Baking Dish
- Serving Spoon
Ingredients (check list):
- 14oz / 400g Spirali Pasta (or Macaroni)
- 4 cups / 1 litre Milk, at room temp
- 10 slices Prosciutto (10 slices is approx 200g/7oz)
- 2oz / 60g French Baguette, torn into chunks (preferably a couple of days old)
- 9oz / 250g Brie (weighed with rind cut off - see notes)
- 1.5 cups / 150g French Comté Cheese, grated (can sub Gruyére)
- 1 cup / 100g Mozzarella, shredded
- 3 tbsp + 1 tbsp Butter
- 3 tbsp Flour
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- few pinches of Nutmeg
- Fresh Thyme, to serve
- Olive Oil Spray, as needed
- Salt & Pepper, as needed
- Add 2oz/60g chunks of french baguette to a food processor and pulse until fine breadcrumbs. Melt 1 tbsp butter in a pan over medium heat and stir in your breadcrumbs. Fry for 5 or so mins until golden, shaking the pan frequently and seasoning with a pinch of salt and pepper half way through. Remove from pan.
- Add a few sprays of oil to the pan and lay flat 3-4 slices of prosciutto. Fry both sides until deep golden and crispy, then remove and repeat with the rest of your prosciutto. When needed, dice into small shards.
- Melt 3 tbsp butter in the pan with the leftover prosciutto fat, then stir in 3 tbsp flour until a paste forms. Gradually pour in 4cups/1litre milk, whisking as you go to ensure no lumps form. Ensure it has thickened before adding cheese, if it's still a very watery consistency the cheese will turn grainy and lose it's flavour.
- Meanwhile, cook 14oz/400g pasta in salted boiling water until only JUST cooked. You want it still a bit hard.
- Add into the sauce: 1 tbsp dijon mustard, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional), nutmeg and salt & pepper to taste. Stir in 9oz/250g brie, 1.5cups/150g comté/gruyére and 1cup/100g mozzarella.
- Drain and add pasta along side your crispy prosciutto. Stir to combine, then pour into a baking dish. Top with breadcrumbs and a few sprays of oil, then pop in the oven at 390F/200C for 20-25mins or until golden and bubbly. Serve with a sprinkling of fresh thyme leaves.
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved this Brie Mac and Cheese recipe then be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!