This Homemade Tartare Sauce is 100x better than anything you’ll get from the store. Plus it’s gonna go down in less than 5mins!
First things first, just to blow away any cobwebs –
To be honest I was never a huge fan of tartare sauce growing up. I mean, my limited experience of it went as far as McDonald’s tartare sauce and maybe a sachet from the chippy. So, hardly surprising I wasn’t a fan (sorry love you really Maccy D’s!!) BUT, even in recent times I really struggle to find anywhere that sells a decent tartare sauce. So naturally I took it upon myself to create my own. The result? BLOOMIN’ DELICIOUS (if I do say so myself 😂). Here’s what you’re gonna need:
Tartare Sauce Ingredients
- Mayo – The bulk of the sauce, always full fat!
- Capers – An absolute must have for tartare sauce!
- Cornichons – These are small pickled cucumbers. Can use regular gherkins or dill pickles.
- Parsley – Adds a subtle herby freshness to the sauce.
- Dill – A classic pairing with seafood.
- Lemon Juice – Adds acidity. Can sub vinegar or dill pickle juice!
Tartare Sauce with Capers
These are essential for tartare sauce. They add a nice salty/tangy flavour and a bit of texture too. You can keep them whole, but I prefer the finely diced them.
How to make Tartare Sauce
In the first instance it really is as easy as combining everything in a small pot. I highly recommend making this in advance and letting the flavours develop in the fridge. I usually make it at least an hour ahead of time, but, it will still taste delicious if served immediately.
The other thing to note when making tartare sauce is it’s all down to preference. If you want to adjust more or less of each ingredient then go for it!
To store: Tightly cover or seal in a jar in the fridge until needed. I usually devour mine within 3-4days, but you can keep it much longer at your discretion.
How to use Tartare Sauce
It’s classically served with seafood, but can be used in a variety of different ways. My favourites are with Pan Fried Cod and Tuna Fish Cakes, but can also be used as a Dip for Finger Foods such as Beer Battered Onion Rings!
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe shall we?!
How to make Tartare Sauce (Full Recipe & Video)
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Small Pot or Mixing Bowl
- 1 cup Measuring Cup
- 1 tbsp Measuring Spoon
- 1 tsp Measuring Spoon
Ingredients (check list):
- 1 cup / 230g Full Fat Mayo
- 2 tbsp Capers, finely diced (or roughly chopped/kept whole)
- 2 tbsp Cornichons/Gherkins, finely diced
- 1 heaped tbsp Fresh Parsley, finely diced
- 2 tsp Fresh Dill, finely diced
- 1 Lemon, juice only (or to taste)
- Combine all of your ingredients in a small mixing bowl or pot and adjust to taste. See recipe notes for subs.
Quick 1 min demo!
Your Private Notes:
If you loved this Tartare Sauce Recipe then be sure to pin it for later! Already made them or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments below and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!