Now THIS is the kind of pasta salad you’ll be making all Summer long!
This pasta salad is such a crowd-pleaser, even the fussiest of eaters can’t resist it. Plus, as pasta salads go, it couldn’t be easier to make! Follow me…
Italian Sub Pasta Salad
My aim with this pasta salad was to take all the glory of a delicious Italian deli-style sandwich and transform it into a pasta salad. Think Italian BMT from Subway!
Italian Sub Pasta Salad Dressing
This dressing is pretty punchy, but it mellows out nicely as it distributes through the pasta salad. It’s got a base of extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar, with garlic and oregano to add heaps of flavour. I also like whisking in some Dijon mustard. Not only does this add flavour and give a nod to the sandwich theme, but it also acts as an emulsifier to bind the dressing together.
Italian Sub Pasta Salad Fillings
Here’s how I categorise the fillings:
- Meats – Pepperoni, Salami and Turkey.
- Salad – Olives, Guindilla Chillies, Red Onion, Fresh Basil
- Cheese – Mozzarella Balls
Process shots: add dressing ingredients to bowl (photo 1), whisk (photo 2), and pasta and fillings to bowl (photo 3), toss in dressing (photo 4).
Italian Sub Pasta Salad FAQ
Where can I find Guindilla Chillies?
Typically in the pickle/antipasto section at the supermarket. If you can’t find them, just sub any type of brined/jarred chilli from that section.
Do I have to add turkey?
I know some people don’t like turkey, but it really works here! If you don’t want to use it just sub deli-style chicken or ham.
What kind of pasta should I use?
Any small short-cut pasta will do the trick. Here I use Gemelli.
Can I make this ahead of time?
I recommend serving this fairly soon after it’s made, just because it dries out as it rests. Having said that it will last around 3 days tightly stored in the fridge and still taste delicious!
Serving Italian Sub Pasta Salad
I usually let it rest for 10 mins or so before serving, just to allow the flavours to marry. If you’ve got any leftover basil lurking around you can sprinkle that over before serving! I typically serve this as a main for Lunch, but you could serve it as a Side if you’d prefer.
For more pasta salad recipes check out my Incredible Pasta Salads!
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this Italian sub pasta salad shall we?!
How to make Italian Sub Pasta Salad (Full Recipe & Video)
Italian Sub Pasta Salad
- Small Mixing Bowl & Whisk (for dressing)
- Large Mixing/Salad Bowl (for salad)
- Large Pot & Colander (for pasta)
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
Ingredients (check list):
- 120ml / 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 60ml / 1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 small clove of Garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1/4 tsp EACH: Salt, Black Pepper
- 350g / 12.3oz Short-Cut Pasta (here I use Gemelli)
- 125g / 4.4oz EACH: Baby Plum Tomatoes, Mozzarella Balls (tomatoes quartered, mozzarella balls halved)
- 75g / 2.6oz EACH: Pepperoni, Salami, Deli-Style Turkey (all sliced into small pieces)
- 50g / 1.7oz Black Olives, thinly sliced
- 6 Guindilla Chillies thinly sliced (or other deli/antipasto style brined chillies)
- 2 tbsp finely diced Fresh Basil Leaves
- 1/2 small Red Onion, finely sliced
- Add the pasta to salted boiling water and cook until al dente. Drain and rinse under cold water until completely cool. Shake well to drain off excess water, then place in a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl whisk together all the 'dressing' ingredients until well combined.
- Add all of the fillings to the bowl of pasta, then give the dressing another quick whisk and pour it over.
- Toss until everything is well combined. I like to let it rest for 10 mins or so, just to allow the flavours to marry and for the pasta to soak in some of the dressing.
Quick 1 min demo!
Your Private Notes: