This Creamy Tomato Pasta Sauce takes 2 minutes to make and requires just 2 main ingredients!
This recipe really is the perfect illustration of ‘why choose when you can have both?’. There’s something special about a pasta that’s doused in a sauce that’s both tomatoey and creamy. Today I’m sharing with you a tomato cream pasta sauce that’s just pure magic! Follow me…
Creamy Tomato Pasta Ingredients
I promised a two ingredient sauce, and that I keep too. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Sun Dried Tomato Pesto – This works great because you not only get an intense tomato flavour, but you also get a load of other goodies packed in too. You’ll find this readily available in most stores, or you can make your own Homemade Sun Dried Tomato Pesto.
- Mascarpone – Technically a cheese, mascarpone has a very creamy flavour and texture. This works great instead of regular cream, not only to add a rich and slightly cheesy flavour, but it’s also much thicker, meaning you don’t have to simmer the sauce to thicken it.
Can I sub Cream Cheese?
Cream cheese has a much cheesier flavour than mascarpone, so I don’t recommend subbing it. Mascarpone has a much more subtle flavour which allows the flavour of the pesto to shine through, whilst still offering a creamy texture/flavour.
Can I sub regular Cream?
This is your next best bet, you just miss out on a touch of flavour and you’ll have to simmer to thicken it. You’ll need Heavy/Double Cream.
What kind of Pasta to use?
I recommend a long-cut pasta. The sauce oozes around it so beautifully! Here I’ve used a Bucatini Spaghetti, which is essentially a tubed spaghetti.
Creamy Tomato Pasta
To make the sauce it’s really as simple as you’d imagine. Just gently simmer both the pesto and mascarpone, stirring as you go to marry them together. I recommend a fairly low heat – don’t rapidly simmer or you run the risk of the pesto splitting and the mascarpone curdling.
Starchy Pasta Water
When the pasta is cooked, don’t drain it. I recommend adding it straight from the pot into the pan. This way you gain some of the starchy pasta water, which will help thin out the sauce and help create a creamy/glossy sauce.
Process shots: spread pesto out in pan (photo 1), add mascarpone (photo 2), stir to melt and combine (photo 3), add pasta and toss (photo 4), add more starchy pasta water if needed (photo 5), season and serve (photo 6).
Serving Creamy Tomato Pasta
If you want to keep it simple you can serve right up. If you want to add a little ‘something something’ then fresh basil, chilli flakes and parmesan all work nicely to serve (they work well tossed in the pasta too!).
What else could I add to this pasta?
If you want to add any fillings then here’s some ideas for you:
- Smoked or Italian Sausage
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this creamy tomato pasta shall we?!
How to make Creamy Tomato Pasta (Full Recipe & Video)
Creamy Tomato Pasta (2 ingredients!)
- Large Frying Pan & Wooden Spoon
- Large Pot & Tongs
- Mug (for scooping pasta water)
Ingredients (check list):
- 12oz / 350g Long Cut Pasta (here I use Bucatini Spaghetti)
- 3/4 cup / 190g / 6.7oz Sun Dried Tomato Pesto (see notes)
- 3/4 cup / 150g / 5oz Mascarpone
- Salt & Pepper, as needed
- Pop your pasta in salted boiling water and cook until al dente. Don't drain.
- A couple of minutes before the pasta is done, add the pesto to a pan over low heat. Once it starts very gently bubbling, add in mascarpone and stir until melted and combined with the pesto.
- Using tongs, transfer the pasta straight from the pot into the pan. Toss to combine, adding the leftover starchy pasta water in the pot to thin out the pasta sauce as needed.
- Season with salt and pepper then serve up and enjoy!
Quick 1 min demo!
- Smoked Sausage
- Fresh Basil
- Chilli Flakes
Your Private Notes:
If you like the look of this recipe check out my Creamy Tomato Sausage Pasta in a Mascarpone Sauce!
For more similar recipes check out these beauties:
Quick Pasta Recipes
- Cream Cheese Pasta
- Easy Lemon Pasta
- Boursin Pasta
- Roasted Red Pepper Pesto Pasta
- Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Pasta
If you loved this Creamy Tomato Pasta Recipe recipe then be sure to pin it for later! Already made them or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments below and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!