Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
This Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese is the perfect way to use up leftover chicken! Topped with blue cheese and baked in the oven, this is a mac and cheese recipe you don't want to miss!
Cost: £3 / $4
- 14oz / 400g Elbow Macaroni (or regular macaroni)
- 4 cups / 1litre Milk, at room temp
- 2 cups Leftover Rotisserie Chicken, shredded
- 3 cups / 300g Cheddar, grated
- 1 cup / 100g Mozzarella, shredded
- 1/2 cup / 125ml Buffalo Sauce
- 1/2 cup / 120g Sour Cream
- 4 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 4 tbsp Flour
- 2 Celery Stalks, finely diced (optional)
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 3oz / 85g Blue Cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup / 30g Breadcrumbs (see notes)
- 1 large Spring/Green Onion, sliced
Melt 4 tbsp butter in a large deep skillet over medium heat and add 2 stalks of celery. Fry for a minute to soften very slightly, then stir in 4 tbsp flour to form a paste. Very gradually add milk, whisking as you go to smooth out any lumps. At no point should it have a watery consistency, if it has you've poured it in too quickly. In such case just to simmer to reduce/thicken before you add more.
Meanwhile, cook 14oz/400g pasta in salted boiling water until only JUST cooked. You want it still a bit hard. Drain and combine with cheese sauce after step 4.
Once thickened, stir in 3cups/300g and 1cup/100g mozzarella. It's important to make sure your sauce has thickened before you add the cheese, don't use the cheese to thicken the sauce.
Add 1/2cup/125ml buffalo sauce, 1/2cup/120g sour cream, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder and salt & pepper to taste. Stir in 2 cups shredded chicken. Combine with pasta.
Pour into a baking dish, top with 3oz/85g crumbled blue cheese, then top with 1/2cup/30g breadcrumbs. Bake in the oven at 390f/200c for 20mins or until golden and bubbly. Serve with sliced green onion.
b) Bake or No Bake - You can do this without baking, in which case just leave off the breadcrumbs. Still do serve with crumbled blue cheese and spring onion though.
c) Breadcrumbs - I use Panko for extra crispiness, but any breadcrumbs will work. You'll either want to quickly fry them in a bit of butter OR spray olive oil over before baking. This will ensure they come out golden and crispy, not dry and powdery.
d) Al Dente Pasta - Very important to ensure the pasta is only just cooked, otherwise it'll come out soft and broken once baked.
e) Calories - based on all the above ingredient quantity, using olive oil spray for breadcrumbs and shared between 6 people.
- Celery - Leave this is out if you don't like celery.
- Buffalo Sauce - Can sub for Hot sauce, however it's usually spicier so just go careful with the quantity.
- Spring Onion - Sub fresh chives. I wouldn't leave this out, adds awesome flavour & pop of colour.
- Leftover Chicken - Can cook and shred chicken if you don't have leftover rotisserie. 2 breasts should work perfectly.
Calories: 855kcal | Carbohydrates: 71.61g | Protein: 57.14g | Fat: 37.12g | Saturated Fat: 20.881g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.121g | Monounsaturated Fat: 9.929g | Trans Fat: 0.805g | Cholesterol: 156mg | Sodium: 1343mg | Potassium: 832mg | Fiber: 4.3g | Sugar: 13.37g | Vitamin A: 1517IU | Vitamin C: 5.1mg | Calcium: 903mg | Iron: 2.16mg