Honey Butter Chicken
This honey butter chicken is sweet, sticky, loaded with flavour and SO easy to make!
Cost: £2.50 / $3
- 1.3lb / 600g boneless skinless Chicken Thigh, diced into large bite sized chunks (see notes)
- 1/3 cup / 50g Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp EACH: Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp EACH: Unsalted Butter, Olive Oil
Honey Butter Sauce
- 1/3 cup / 110g Honey
- 5 tbsp / 75g / 2.6oz Unsalted Butter, diced into tbsp chunks (see notes)
- 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
In a medium sized mixing bowl combine 1/3cup/50g flour with 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp onion powder, garlic powder & black pepper. Add in diced chicken and combine until fully coated.
Add 1 tbsp butter and olive oil to a large pan over medium-high heat. Once the butter has melted, stir it to combine with the oil then add in and space out the chicken. Leave to fry until crispy and deep golden on one side, then flip the pieces and cook the other side until crisp/lightly charred, with the centre piping hot. Remove from pan and turn heat down to medium.
Melt the remaining 5 tbsp butter into the pan then stir in honey, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce and a good pinch of salt and pepper (to taste). Keep stirring over a gentle simmer until the sauce thickens to a thin caramel consistency. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
Stir in chicken until it's fully coated then serve up and enjoy!
a) Chicken - You can make this with different cuts of chicken. Here's what I recommend:
b) Butter - I like using unsalted butter because you get so much more control over how salty it ends up. If you've only got salted just go easy when you season to taste. Important to measure correctly (i.e not heaping tbsps) otherwise you'll end up with too much butter.
c) Serving - I love serving this with Mustard Mash and Green Beans. Also goes nicely with rice.
d) Calories - per serving with no sides.
- Whole Chicken Breast - Butterfly two large chicken breasts right through to make 4 even sized breasts. Follow recipe as stated, just fry both sides until golden and cooked through the centre then remove.
- Diced Chicken Breast - Follow recipe as stated, they'll just cook quicker than diced thigh.
- Whole Chicken Thigh - You can use boneless/skinless thighs, I recommend just pounding them until even thickness if you can. Follow recipe as stated. Bone in/skin on thighs can be used, just fry them skin side down first to render down the fat, then flip and lower the heat slightly until cooked right through the centre.
Calories: 450kcal | Carbohydrates: 32.23g | Protein: 31.14g | Fat: 21.85g | Saturated Fat: 9.438g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.43g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8.338g | Trans Fat: 0.033g | Cholesterol: 161mg | Sodium: 791mg | Potassium: 416mg | Fiber: 0.5g | Sugar: 23.82g | Vitamin A: 392IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 27mg | Iron: 2.11mg