Boursin Mashed Potatoes
If you've never put Boursin cheese in your mashed potatoes you haven't quite lived. These mashed potatoes are ultra creamy and bursting with flavour!
Cost: £1 / $1
- 2lb / 1kg White Potatoes, peeled & diced into large chunks (starchy potatoes like Maris Pipers/Russets work best)
- 4 cups / 1litre Chicken Stock, or enough to cover potatoes for boiling (can sub water)
- 1x 5oz/150g pack of Garlic & Fine Herb Boursin Cheese, roughly diced
- 1/2 cup / 120ml Whole Milk, Cream or Half & Half, warmed in microwave (see notes)
- 2 heaped tbsp Butter, at room temp or melted
- 1 tbsp Butter, melted (to serve)
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
Add potatoes to a large pot and pour in enough chicken stock to cover the potatoes. Top up with water if needed. Stir in 1 tsp salt then bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are knife tender. Drain, don't rinse.
Add Boursin cheese & butter and mash until smooth. Add salt & pepper to taste and gradually stir in milk/cream until desired texture.
Transfer to a serving bowl and drizzle over melted butter to serve. Enjoy!
a) Chicken Stock - I love boiling the potatoes in chicken stock, just for an extra hit of flavour. Chicken goes with both garlic and herbs beautifully, so works really well here. Not a deal breaker if you just use water. They'll still be delicious.
b) Milk or Cream - I tend to use milk, just because the cheese already makes the mash quite rich. In both cases though I recommend using the liquid at least at room temp. Warmer milk/cream will infuse into the potatoes easier.
c) Make Ahead - Leave off the final drizzle of butter and cover in the fridge. I usually bring to room temp before I microwave so it warms through more evenly. You can also add a splash of cream/milk and stir over medium heat in a suitably sized pot.
d) Calories - Assuming 1/3 cup whole milk is used and 1 tsp salt in total is in the dish. Divided by 5.
Calories: 265kcal | Carbohydrates: 30.32g | Protein: 5.93g | Fat: 13.77g | Saturated Fat: 8.546g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.586g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3.583g | Trans Fat: 0.027g | Cholesterol: 37mg | Sodium: 667mg | Potassium: 799mg | Fiber: 4.4g | Sugar: 3.94g | Vitamin A: 487IU | Vitamin C: 16.5mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 1.38mg