Avocado Tuna Melt Bagels
These open faced tuna melts are made with bagels and loaded with cheese and avocado. They're fun to make and absolutely delicious to eat!
Cost: £2 / $2.50
- 2 Bagels, halved & toasted
- 2x 6.5oz/185g cans of Tuna, drained
- 2 medium sized Tomatoes, sliced into circles (you'll need two circles per bagel, so 8 in total)
- 1 Avocado, sliced into strips (you'll need 4 strips per bagel, so 16 in total)
- 4 tbsp Mayonnaise, or to preference
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 Spring/Green Onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp Fresh Parsley, finely diced
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- 4 pinches Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 1 Lemon, juice only (to taste)
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
In a bowl, combine your tuna, mayo, mustard, onion, parsley, garlic powder, cayenne pepper (optional) and a squeeze of lemon juice. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly, then place to one side.
Assemble by placing a a slice of avocado on the bagel, then a tomato slice and repeat in a circular pattern. 4 slices of each should cover the surface (see video for reference).
Season with a sprinkle a little salt & pepper and drizzle a bit of extra virgin olive oil. Top with tuna mixture then finish with a sprinkle of cheese.
Pop under the grill and broil until golden and bubbly on top. Serve with an extra squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkle of parsley.
a) Bread - If you don't have bagels you can sub for 4 thick slices of bread (lightly toasted).
b) Can I make these ahead of time? - I don't recommend making the whole thing ahead of time, as the avocado is likely to brown and the bagel will go soggy. But you can make the tuna mix ahead of time, just tightly cover in the fridge until needed.
c) Tomato - This is optional, but does go nicely! Make sure it's slices to a similar thickness of the avocado. Regular salad tomatoes work well, as do Roma tomatoes.
d) Calories - based on using 1cup/100g cheddar. Calories per bagel.
Calories: 420kcal | Carbohydrates: 30.85g | Protein: 29.13g | Fat: 21.05g | Saturated Fat: 7.104g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.031g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7.571g | Trans Fat: 0.335g | Cholesterol: 61mg | Sodium: 667mg | Potassium: 543mg | Fiber: 5.7g | Sugar: 4.37g | Vitamin A: 1500IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 230mg | Iron: 3.2mg