Mighty Mexican Cheeseburger
It's time to whack out the BBQ and create the most incredible burger imaginable. This Mighty Mexican Cheeseburger is the definition of winning at summer!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 1 cup / 250 ml Sour Cream
- 1 Lime, juice of
- 1 tbsp Fresh Coriander (Cilantro) or more to taste
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- 4 Little Gem Lettuce Leaves
- 4 tbsp Guacamole
- 4 Fresh Jalapeños, deseeded (can sub pickled)
- 1 Red Pepper, cored & deseeded
- 1 Yellow Pepper, cored & deseeded
- 1 Red Onion, peeled & sliced into 4 rings
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Black Pepper
Secret BBQ Marinade
- 1 part Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 part Soy Sauce
- 4 Large Skewers
- 1 Spray Bottle
In a suitably sized bowl combine all of your ingredients for the sour cream, test for seasoning, then cover and pop in the fridge until needed.
Brush all sides of your onions, peppers and jalapeños with olive oil and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Place evenly on 4 separate skewers (see video for guidance).
Place on the BBQ until charred, flipping once and spraying both sides with the marinade. Take off and place to one side.
BBQ the burgers until just cooked throughout, flipping once. Move to one side of the BBQ away from direct heat.
Grab a pan and place it on the BBQ, add a slice of cheese to the pan and leave until it begins to melt. Add one of the burgers and place on top of the cheese until it gets crispy. Repeat for all burgers (or do all at once in a suitably sized pan).
Place your buns on the BBQ to toast (optional).
Stack by spreading 1 tbsp guac on your base bun, topped with lettuce, followed by your burger, followed by your peppers & jalapeños (sliced if desired) and finish by spreading your sour cream sauce on the other half of your bun.
a) I don't have a BBQ/don't want to use one - No problemo! This recipe works just as well using the grill OR the hob.
b) Can I eat the black char on the peppers? - Absolutely, I think it adds great flavour to the burger. However, if you want the roasted flavour without the char, simply pop them in a bowl after they've grilled and cover with cling film. Once cooled, peel off the skins.
c) Iceland Products - All of these ingredients were bought from Iceland! The only sub I made was using up some fresh jalapeños I had on hand, but they do sell pickled jalapeños in store :)
d) Calories - Using 1 tbsp sour cream. Slight overestimate as a lot of the fat from the cheese leaks out when it's frying.
- Grill - place peppers/onions under the grill until they begin to char, flipping once. Grill burgers according to packet instructions (slightly under grill one side). Place cheese in a pan, pop the pan under the grill to melt, add the burger until it crisps.
- Hob - place peppers/onions over the flame and flip once when they begin to char. Pan fry your burgers according to packet instructions. Take burgers out, add cheese to melt, then place burger on top until it crisps.
Calories: 646kcal | Carbohydrates: 48.4g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 34.5g | Saturated Fat: 15.2g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 821mg | Potassium: 148mg | Fiber: 1.6g | Sugar: 10.9g | Calcium: 100mg | Iron: 0.4mg