The ULTIMATE Veggie Chilli
This 3 bean chilli is packed with veggies, absolutely loaded with flavour and so easy to make. It's also 100% meat eater approved! Makes 4 hefty portions or 6 smaller.
Cost: £1.50 / $2
- 2 1/2 cups / 625ml Vegetable Stock
- 2 cups / 500g Tomato Passata (Pureed Strained Tomatoes in US)
- 3x 14oz/400g cans of Beans, drained (see notes)
- 1 small Sweet Potato, peeled & diced into very small bite sized pieces (weight around 9oz-10oz/250-300g unpeeled)
- 2 Peppers, finely diced (one red one green)
- 1 medium/large Onion, finely diced
- 1 medium/large Carrot, finely diced
- 2 ribs of Celery, finely diced
- 3-4 cloves of Garlic, finely diced
- 2 tbsp EACH: Paprika, Cumin, Chilli Powder, or to spice preference (see notes)
- 1/2 tsp EACH: Salt, Sugar, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper, or to taste
- 2 tbsp finely diced Coriander/Cilantro (can omit if you don't like it)
- Olive Oil, as needed
Ideas to serve
- Cheddar (highly recommend)
- Sour Cream (highly recommend)
- Tortilla Chips
- Lime Wedges
In a large pot over medium-high heat add a drizzle of olive oil along with the onion, carrot, celery and peppers. Fry until they begin to soften and take on colour, then lower heat to medium and fry the garlic for another minute or so.
Pour in passata and vegetable stock, then add in sweet potato, beans, chilli powder, paprika, cumin, salt, sugar and pepper. Give it a good stir then simmer until the sauce thickens and the sweet potato is cooked right through, around 30-40mins depending on the size of your sweet potato chunks. If the sauce reduces too much before the sweet potato cooks, just add more stock or water. If you go overboard with the stock just gently simmer to your desired thickness.
Stir through coriander/cilantro then taste test for seasoning and adjust with chilli powder, salt and sugar if needed. Serve up with your favourite toppings. Enjoy!
a) What kind of beans to use? - Most varieties of canned beans will work just fine. I normally use kidney beans and black beans, then switch up the 3rd can each time (borlotti beans is what I used to shoot this, pinto and haricot also work nicely).
b) Chilli Powder - I typically use 1 tbsp mild chilli powder and 1 tbsp hot chilli powder and find that to offer the perfect amount of spice. If at all weary just use 2 tbsp mild and adjust at the end (can make spicier with chilli flakes, cayenne pepper or more chilli powder).
c) Storage/reheating - Allow to cool and tightly store in the fridge for 3-4days or freezer for 1 month+. Reheat from the fridge on the stove on low heat (add a splash of water or stock if you need to loosen up the sauce). Or reheat in short bursts in the microwave, stirring in-between.
d) Serving - Will make 4 big portions or 6 smaller portions.
e) Calories - based on 9oz/250g sweet potato, 1 tbsp olive oil, no toppings and shared between 6:
Calories: 259kcal | Carbohydrates: 47.69g | Protein: 12.7g | Fat: 3.57g | Saturated Fat: 0.523g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.856g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1.771g | Trans Fat: 0.001g | Sodium: 627mg | Potassium: 1126mg | Fiber: 11.9g | Sugar: 7.35g | Vitamin A: 9289IU | Vitamin C: 125.3mg | Calcium: 93mg | Iron: 4.42mg