‘This Sweet and Spicy Grilled Pineapple Salsa is gorgeously sweet and sticky with a gentle kick of spice. The perfect addition to your favourite summer dishes’
And when I say summer dishes, I’m really dreaming of somewhere warmer than here in Melbourne. And consequently dreaming about summer made me think of my favourite summer dish – Sweet and Spicy Grilled Pineapple Salsa.
I literally eat this stuff by the spoon, and by spoon I mean I usually just faceplant the entire bowl.
I came up with this recipe a while back when I whipped up some homemade sausages. The sausage-salsa ratio may have been hugely in favour of the salsa but there and then, I fell in the love. I seriously need to stop falling in love with food.
Anywho, what’s so special about this dish I hear you cry. Let’s take a closer look.
I really love to champion the pineapple in this salsa.
By giving it a coating of honey mixed with a little cayenne pepper and salt, it brings the pineapple to life after it’s grilled. Sweet and sticky from the caramelization of the honey, balanced so neatly with the salt and spice. UGH, gimme!
This time round I paired the salsa (mainly with a spoon) and some tortilla chips. But from experience it certainly goes great with burgers, sausages, salmon, wraps, the list goes on.
Sweet and spicy grilled pineapple salsa is a great side dish for a BBQ, family occasion or simply for those experiencing the winter blues.
Make it in advance and keep cool in the fridge. Quick and easy to knock up – no fuss involved.
I really wanted to add some red pepper (capsicum) or peach to this, but my partner was freaking out so didn’t. But feel free to mix things up, I’d love to hear how you get on. I embrace all feedback.
Catch you on the next post folks!
Sweet and Spicy Grilled Pineapple Salsa
- 1/2 Ripe Pineapple peeled, cored and sliced into approx 1/2 inch thick rounds.
- 1 small Red Onion finely diced
- 1 Jalapeno deseeded and finely diced
- 1-2 tbsp Fresh Coriander Cilantro finely diced
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Olive Oil + 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 1/2 tsp Lime Zest
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- Salt and Black Pepper
- In a small side dish, combine your Honey, Lime Zest, tsp of Olive Oil, good pinch of Salt and pinch of Cayenne Pepper.
- Pat down with a paper and with a brush, coat both sides of your Pineapple. Grill over high heat for around 3-4 mins on each side or until tender and charred.
- Once cool enough to handle, slice into desired size and combine in a suitably sized bowl with your Onion, Coriander, Jalapeno, Lime Juice, tbsp of Olive Oil and seasoning to taste.
b) 1/2 Pineapple should get you around 6-8 rounds depending on size.
c)You can substitute canned Pineapple if you've got that handy.
d) No time to grill or don't own a griddle pan? This salsa will still taste great without cooking the Pineapple.
Looking for more summer salsa and salad ideas? Look no further.
Cheers guys, this has been ‘Sweet and Spicy Grilled Pineapple Salsa’. Comment, share, do whatever you fancy but for crying out loud don’t go bacon my heart. See you next time 🙂