If you’re looking for a quick and easy pasta lunch, look no further than this delicious Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Pasta recipe!
And that’s what’s so perfect about pesto pasta, it’s truly so quick and easy to make! One of those lazy lunches that requires minimal effort, but the taste is just incredible. Follow me…
Homemade Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
Homemade sun dried tomato pesto, otherwise known as ‘red pesto’ is best suited for this recipe. However, you can sub store bought red pesto if you wanted. Alternatively you could use a different type of pesto, such as basil pesto. Either way you can still use the same toppings and exactly the same method for this recipe.
How to stop Pesto Pasta drying out
I don’t know about you, but my experience of pesto pasta used to be ‘oh yummy, it looks so saucy… Wait.. Where you going? Oh no, Grease.. Send help!’.
Or something of that nature.
Truth is, it’s very easy to serve up pesto pasta that’s ultra greasy and really not that saucy. Which is understandable as pesto has a large quantity of oil, but we want saucy pesto pasta right?
Okay, here’s a trick for you.
By tossing starchy pasta water through the pasta and pesto, it creates an emulsion, which in turn creates a saucy, almost creamy texture. This will create more of a pasta sauce, instead of a pesto that just about coats the pasta.
The second tip is to do this in a bowl away from heat, as opposed to doing it in a pan on the hob.
Pesto is often heavily made up of parmesan, and because it isn’t that saucy, when you start trying to fry the pesto it starts frying the cheese. Which we don’t want.
How to make Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Pasta
- Cook your pasta in salted boiling water until al dente. Scoop out starchy pasta water, then drain and place in a bowl.
- Add your sun dried tomato pesto, pasta water and chilli flakes (optional) and toss until full coated.
Serve straight away so it stays warm, then add on some extra goodies.
Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Pasta Toppings
- Pine Nuts
- Shaved Parmesan
- Fresh Basil
And like I said, I’ll use these three toppings whether it’s sun dried tomato or basil pesto.
Hey, whilst you’re here…
Similar recipes to Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Pasta
- Penne Alfredo with Sun Dried Tomato
- MEGA Chicken Pesto Grilled Cheese
- Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
- Antipasto Stuffed Chicken
- Sausage Pasta in a Sun Dried Tomato Mascarpone Sauce
Join the foodie family! – Get awesome recipes sent straight to your inbox by signing up to my Weekly Mailing List (where you’ll receive your FREE ECOOKBOOK) and stay in touch on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest! 🧡
How to make Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Pasta (Full Recipe & Video)
Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Pasta
- 7oz / 200g Pasta of choice (here I use Linguine)
- 1/2 cup / 2-3 heaped tbsp Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
- 1/3 cup / 80ml Starchy Pasta Water, or as needed
- pinch of Chilli Flakes (optional)
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- Shaved Parmesan
- Pine Nuts, toasted if desired
- Small Basil Leaves
- Cook your pasta in salted boiling water until al dente, reserving a cup of starchy water.
- Drain and place pasta in a bowl with 1/2 cup / 2-3 heaped tbsp pesto & chilli flakes if using.
- Toss through 1/3 cup / 80ml starchy pasta water (or until you get to your desired texture). Serve with extra basil, pine nuts and parmesan
Quick 1 min demo!
For another quick, easy and delicious Sun Dried Tomato Pasta recipe, check out my Penne Alfredo with Bacon and Sun Dried Tomato!