This Mango Chicken Salad is made with Chipotle Chicken, loaded with Fresh Mango, Avocado and Chilli, then wrapped in a simple Homemade Dressing.
Yes, you are reading this right. A leafy salad, no bacon, no cheese, on THIS blog 😂 I’ve been holding off on a salad like this for a while until I perfected it. Honestly I couldn’t be happier with how this turned out. You’re gonna LOVE it. Follow me…
The star of the show, and quite frankly it couldn’t be easier to make. You want the chicken to pack a punch of flavour and hold it’s own in the salad, and that’s exactly what you’ll get here.
This makes up the majority of the seasoning. Chipotle seasoning is not only great to add a kick of spice, but it also offers a gorgeous smoky undertone. My understanding is it’s quite widely available in the US, but tricky to find in the UK (I buy mine online). So in all cases you’ll be able to sub regular chilli powder if you don’t have chipotle powder.
Process shots: Bring chicken to room temp (photo 1), butterfly right through (photo 2), add seasoning and oil (photo 3), rub into meat (photo 4), grill or pan fry (photo 5).
Chicken Mango Salad
I know it may seem like an odd combo at first, but I promise you it truly works. Fruit and meat is an underrated combo after all. For the whole sha’bang here’s what you’ll need:
- Chipotle Chicken – as discussed above, nice thin strips work nicely.
- Mango – ensure it’s ripe but not too soft, you don’t want it go mushy when you toss the salad.
- Avocado – same as above, ripe but not bruised.
- Red Onion – adds a nice pop of colour and a nice flavour to offset the sweetness of the mango.
- Chilli – this adds extra spiciness. Can sub jalapeño, or just a regular red pepper for less spice.
- Cashews – offers a nice crunch to the salad. Can sub other nuts if you wish!
Honey Lime Dressing
The dressing is very simple and consists of extra virgin olive oil, lime juice, honey, dijon mustard and garlic. I find it easiest to make the dressing in an empty jar and shake it to combine, but you can also use a small bowl and whisk.
From there it’s just a case of tossing the salad to combine those gorgeous flavours! Quantities are adjustable, increase any of your favourite goodies if you fancy 🙂
If you like the sound of this mango combination definitely make sure you check out my Shrimp Stuffed Avocado with Mango Salsa!
For more similar recipes check out these beauties too:
Hearty Salad Recipes
- Pesto Pasta Salad
- Leftover Chicken Salad
- Chicken Waldorf Salad Bites
- Creamy Potato Salad
- Bacon Broccoli Salad
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this chicken mango salad shall we?!
How to make Mango Chicken Salad (Full Recipe & Video)
Spicy Mango Chicken Salad
- Griddle/Frying Pan & Tongs
- Empty Jar or Small Bowl & Whisk (for dressing)
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Serving Bowl & Salad Tossers
Ingredients (check list):
- 2 large Chicken Breasts, brought to room temp
- 1 heaped tsp Chipotle Powder (see notes for subs)
- 1/2 tsp EACH: Cumin, Oregano, Salt
- 1/4 tsp EACH: Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 large heads of Romaine Lettuce, chopped
- 1 large Fresh Mango, diced
- 1 medium Avocado, diced
- 1 small Red Onion, finely sliced
- 1 Mild Red Chilli, deseeded and very thinly sliced or finely diced (see notes for subs)
- 1 handful Unsalted Cashews, roughly chopped (optionally toasted)
- 1/4 cup / 60ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Lime, juice only
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- In an empty jar combine extra virgin olive oil, lime juice, honey, dijon mustard, garlic powder and salt & pepper (to taste). Seal the lid and give it a good shake. Place to one side.
- Butterfly your chicken breasts right through to make 4 even sized breasts. Coat in 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 heaped tsp chipotle powder, 1/2 tsp cumin, oregano & salt and 1/4 tsp onion powder, garlic power and black pepper. Really rub the seasoning into the meat.
- Heat up a griddle or frying pan over medium-high heat and fry both sides until nicely charred, with the chicken white through the centre. Place to one side, allow to completely cool then slice into thin strips just before needed.
- In a large salad bowl add romaine lettuce. Top with chicken strips, avocado, mango, red onion, chilli and cashews. Give your dressing another quick shake then drizzle that over. Use salad tossers to combine everything then serve up and enjoy!
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved this Mango Chicken Salad Recipe then be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!