Take your Pigs in Blankets to new heights by glazing them in Honey and Bourbon! Sweet, sticky and bursting with flavour, these are sure to be the star of the show at your next roast dinner!
Honey Glazed Pigs in Blankets
Honey glazed pigs in blankets at this current point are the sole reason I will never own a six pack. Not because they’re particularly bad for you (well, debatable) but mainly because I literally cannot stop eating them. And I can’t stop eating them because I can’t stop pulling reasons out of thin air as to why I need to keep cooking them. There’s always an occasion for bacon!
So let’s talk honey and bourbon.
The honey works so well with pigs in blankets because it produces the perfect balance of salty and sweet, which just so happens to be the best combo of all time. The bourbon adds a very gentle heat, which works perfectly with the warmth that sage brings. Both honey and bourbon themselves work so gorgeously with pork in general. Having said that, you can leave out the bourbon if you wish!
How to make Pigs in Blankets with Honey Bourbon (quick summary)
- Make glaze with honey, bourbon and Worcestershire sauce, then brush on chipolatas.
- Add a sage leaf to the chipolatas.
- Wrap in bacon.
- Add to bed of rosemary and roast.
- Take out, reglaze glaze and roast again.
Why not brush on all the glaze at the beginning?
And it’s a good question. For me, the perfect pig in blanket is a soft a juicy sausage, wrapped in beautifully crisp bacon. In order to get that I glaze the sausage at the start and keep the bacon dry. After oven time the sausage takes on the sweet flavours and remains moist, where the bacon on the outside crisps up perfectly. After, I’ll glaze them one more time to ensure the bacon still absorbs those gorgeous flavours, but still remains crisp. Also, this way the honey is far less likely to burn as it’s protected by the bacon for nearly all it’s cooking time.
Dang, that was a lot of bacon talk, you get my flow though.
Can I make these ahead of time?
These are perfect to make in advance! Just make up until roasting, cover and pop in the fridge until needed, then roast away.
What shall I serve them with?
And there we have it! Grown-up pigs in blankets, glazed pigs in blankets, pimped up pigs in blankets (lol), whatever you wanna call them, they’re yours for the taking!
Hey, whilst you’re here why not check out my other recipes?
Easy Roast Dinner Recipes
- Traditional Pigs in Blankets with Honey Mustard Dip
- Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheese
- Honey Balsamic Carrots
- Goose Fat Roast Potatoes
- Parmesan Roast Cauliflower
Alrighty, let’s tuck into these honey glazed pigs in a blanket shall we?!
How to make Honey Bourbon Pigs in Blankets (Full Recipe & Video)
Honey Bourbon Pigs in Blankets
- Baking Tray
- Small Bowl (for glaze)
- 12 Tooth Picks
Ingredients (check list):
- 12 Pork Chipolatas
- 12 rashers Smoked Streaky Bacon
- 12 Sages Leaves
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 2 tbsp Bourbon, (optional)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- few Sprigs of Rosemary
- pinch of Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Olive Oil, as needed
- Preheat oven to 200c (390f).
- In a bowl, combine 2 tbsp Honey, 2 tbsp Bourbon, 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce and Salt & Pepper to taste.
- Brush your Chipolatas with the glaze, wrap a sage leaf around each of them (lengthways) and then wrap in Bacon. Secure with a toothpick.
- Lay a few sprigs of Rosemary in a baking tray, place your Sausages on top and drizzle with a little Olive Oil.
- Bake for 30mins or until golden brown and crispy, flipping once.
- Drizzle the rest of your glaze over them, shake the pan well and pop back in the oven for a few mins until sticky.
- Remove toothpicks and enjoy!
Quick 1 min demo!
If you loved these Honey Bourbon Pigs in Blankets be sure to pin the recipe for later! Already made them or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments below!