These tacos are so delicious you’ll never believe they use fish fingers!
Crispy fish tacos are some of my favourite kinds of tacos. However, you really want to whip up a batter and fry the fish for crispy fish tacos; which admittedly can be a faff. Sometimes you need fish tacos and you need them now! So, a quick little get around is using some good old trusty store-bought fish fingers. Follow me…
Fish Finger Taco Ingredients
Fish fingers get a bit of a bad rep. I mean back in the day they were probably stuffed with god knows what, but these days, with a good reputable brand, store-bought fish fingers are pretty good. Anywho, let’s take a look at what you’ll need for these tacos:
- Fish Fingers – You could even whip up some homemade fish fingers if you fancied!
- Pickled Cabbage – Really simple to make. Just soak sliced red cabbage in vinegar and lime juice.
- Chipotle Mayo – You could use store-bought or whip up your own with mayo + chipotle paste.
- Cotija/Feta – This adds a nice salty flavour to balance out the acidity from the pickled cabbage and spice from the chipotle mayo.
- Avocado – Adds a creaminess to mellow out the other loud flavours.
- Tortillas – I usually go for flour, but corn will work as well.
- Coriander/Cilantro – This is optional, so leave it out if you’re a coriander/cilantro hater!
Making Fish Finger Tacos
When it comes to making the tacos, as you can imagine it truly couldn’t be easier. Just a few tips to help:
- Warm Tortillas – I like to toast mine in a scorching hot griddle pan, just to get some char lines. However, for all intents and purposes, the microwave will do the job.
- Slice Avo – You could mash it, but I prefer slicing, just for an added bit of texture (plus it looks neater – eat with your eyes and all that).
- Drain Pickle – Once the cabbage has pickled just shake off/drain away the brine before adding to the tortilla, just so the excess moisture doesn’t soak into the wrap.
- Slice Fish Fingers – Halving the fish fingers will allow them to fit easier into the tacos.
Process shots: add avocado to wrap (photo 1), add pickled cabbage (photo 2), add fish fingers and chipotle mayo (photo 3), add cheese and coriander/cilantro (photo 4).
Fish Finger Tacos FAQ
What type of fish fingers should I use?
I usually go for Birds Eye (cod or haddock). But any reputable brand will do the job. Also, in other parts of the world you’re looking for ‘fish sticks’ just to clear up any confusion.
Do I have to pickle the cabbage?
If you really don’t like pickled foods, then you could just add the sliced cabbage. I’d recommend just a gentle squeeze of lime juice to serve, just for a hit of acidity to complement the fish and balance out the other flavours in the tacos.
I’m not good with spice, can I leave out the chipotle mayo?
The chipotle mayo is there to not only prevent a dry taco, but it also adds gorgeous flavour. If you’re at all wary of spice, just start with a small amount of chipotle paste and work your way up.
Serving Fish Finger Tacos
When it comes to serving these tacos, I usually have them for Lunch! They’re perfect as they are, but if you want to turn it into a feast then consider any of these goodies:
What can I serve with fish tacos?
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for these fish finger tacos shall we?!
How to make Fish Finger Tacos (Full Recipe & Video)
Fish Finger Tacos
- Small Bowl (for pickling cabbage)
- Small Bowl or Pot (for chipotle mayo)
- Baking Tray (for fish fingers)
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
Ingredients (check list):
- 1/2 cup / 120g Full Fat Mayo
- 1 tbsp Chipotle Paste (see notes)
- gentle squeeze of Lime Juice
Pickled Red Cabbage
- 1/2 small Red Cabbage, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar, (can sub red or white wine vinegar)
- 2 tbsp Lime Juice (approx 1 whole lime)
- good pinch of Salt
Fish Finger Tacos
- 12 Fish Fingers (store-bought or homemade)
- 6 small Flour Tortillas, warmed
- 1 large Avocado, halved, pitted, peeled & finely sliced
- 1/4 cup / 35g crumbled Cotija or Feta, or as needed
- Coriander/Cilantro, finely diced (optional)
- Pickle Cabbage: In a small bowl combine cabbage, lime juice and vinegar with a good pinch of salt. Leave to pickle for at least 30mins (longer the better), tossing every now and then.
- Fish Fingers: About 15mins before the cabbage is ready, place your fish fingers on a baking tray and cook to packet instruction.
- Chipotle Mayo: Meanwhile In a small bowl or pot combine mayo with chipotle paste and a gentle squeeze of lime juice. Place to one side.
- Tacos: Add sliced avocado to the centre of a flour tortilla. Top with pickled cabbage, then 2 halved fish fingers each, followed by chipotle mayo, cheese and coriander/cilantro if you're using it. Enjoy!
Quick 1 min demo!
Your Private Notes:
If you loved this Fish Finger Taco Recipe then be sure to pin it for later! Already made them or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments below and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!