This Curried Sweet Potato Soup can only be described as a soul-hugging bowl of goodness. It’s also super easy to make too!
This soup strikes the perfect balance of sweet and spice in the most delicious way possible. It’s a proper winter warmer that’s perfect for the cooler months! Follow me…
Making Curried Sweet Potato Soup
The Curry Part
To give the soup that curry twist, we’re just going to use a concoction of simple store cupboard spices – including curry powder. Yep, no shame in using curry powder! Does the trick perfectly alongside some paprika, turmeric, ground coriander and cumin. We’re also going to using coconut milk as part of the liquid to help marry all the flavours together!
The Sweet Potato Part
No need to precook the spuds, just peel & dice them and you’re ready to go. They cook in the pot with everything else, which actually helps the flavours exchange between the sweet potato and other ingredients.
Can I sub regular potato for this recipe?
The selling point of this recipe is the sweet and spicy balance, which is something regular potatoes can’t offer. As such, it’s gotta be sweet potatoes!
Process shots: fry onion in coconut oil (photo 1), fry garlic/ginger & toast spices (photo 2), add sweet potato, coconut milk and stock (photo 3), stir (photo 4), simmer (photo 5), blitz (photo 6).
Serving Curried Sweet Potato Soup
The soup is fab as it is, but a bit of garnish to wrap everything up is a must. Here’s what I like:
- Cream – can sub a tbsp or so of coconut milk.
- Crispy Fried Onions – offers a nice textural contrast to the creamy soup.
- Coriander/Cilantro – adds a pop of colour and compliments the curry aspect.
- Flatbread – makes a nice change from other breads and again, compliments the curry aspect.
Other garnishes that work nicely are crushed peanuts, toasted coconut flakes and chilli flakes!
Process shots: pour soup into bowl (photo 1), drizzle with cream (photo 2), top with crispy onions (photo 3), sprinkle with coriander/cilantro (photo 4).
Curried Sweet Potato Soup FAQ
How spicy is this soup?
It’s fairly mild, but it’s completely in your control. I use hot curry powder, but you can use mild if you’re at all weary. If you want it spicier then I recommend adding in some cayenne pepper a pinch or so at a time!
How long will this last in the fridge?
I find this stays good for 3-5 days. Just leave off the garnish and reheat on the stove or in the microwave!
Can I freeze this soup?
Yep! Just thaw and reheat as above.
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this curried sweet potato soup shall we?!
How to make Curried Sweet Potato Soup (Full Recipe & Video)
Curried Sweet Potato Soup
- Large Pot & Wooden Spoon
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Hand Blender
- Potato Peeler
- Jug (for stock)
Ingredients (check list):
- 2lb / 1kg whole Sweet Potatoes, peeled then diced into bite sized chunks
- 4 cups / 1 litre Chicken Stock, or more as needed (can sub Veggie Stock)
- 1x 14oz / 400ml can of Coconut Milk
- 1 large Onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves of Garlic, finely diced
- 2 tsp finely diced Ginger
- 1 tbsp Hot Curry Powder
- 1 tsp EACH: Paprika, Cumin, Ground Coriander, Turmeric
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil, can sub olive oil
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- drizzle of Cream (can also hold back a couple tbsp of coconut milk and use that instead)
- Crispy Fried Onions
- Coriander/Cilantro (only add this is you know you love it)
- In a large pot over medium heat melt in 1 tbsp coconut oil then add in a large diced onion. Fry until soft and golden then and in garlic and ginger. Fry for another couple of mins then add in 1 tbsp curry powder and 1 tsp paprika, cumin, ground coriander and turmeric. Toast the spices for a minute or so.
- Add in diced sweet potato then pour in stock and coconut milk. Add a pinch of salt and pepper (can adjust this later), give everything a mix then simmer for 20-30mins, or until the sweet potato is cooked right through (timings will depend on size of potato chunks).
- Turn off heat and use a hand blender to blitz until smooth (don't over blend or the consistency can become gluey). Add more stock to thin out if needed, or continue to simmer and thicken if you go a little overboard with the liquid. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve individual portions with a drizzle of cream/coconut milk, crispy fried onions and coriander/cilantro (optional). Dunk in flatbreads and enjoy!
Quick 1 min demo!
Your Private Notes:
Looking for curry? Check out my Halloumi and Sweet Potato Curry!
For more similar recipes check out these beauties:
Delicious Soup Recipes
- Mixed Vegetable Soup
- Roasted Carrot Soup
- Butternut Squash Soup
- Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup
If you loved this Sweet Potato Soup Recipe then be sure to pin it for later! Already made them or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments below and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!