This Creamy Garlic Mushroom Chicken is an absolute dream and couldn’t be easier to whip up for dinner! It comes together in around 30mins. Plus, is there any better combo than cream, chicken, garlic and mushrooms?!
As one of my most loved and most popular recipes, I had to include this in my Debut Cookbook ‘Comfy’!
Preparing the Chicken
For this recipe we’re going to be using boneless skinless chicken breast. To prepare the chicken, I recommend slicing each breast horizontally through the centre to create 4 even-sized breasts. This will not only allow the chicken to cook faster, but also more evenly too.
Dredging through Flour
For this recipe I like to give the chicken a light coating in flour before it hits the pan. This will not only give the chicken a nice golden crust, but it’ll also help the chicken absorb the sauce and cling to it.
Seasoning the Chicken
You’ll want to season the flour with more seasoning than you usually would coat the chicken in, just because not all of the flour attaches. For this recipe we’re keeping things simple and using salt & black pepper, alongside garlic powder to kick off the garlic theme.
Process shots: lay chicken on chopping board (photo 1), slice through the centre (photo 2), add to seasoned flour (photo 3), coat then shake off excess (photo 4).
Cooking the Chicken
To cook the chicken, we’re going to pan-fry it. Mainly for speed, but also so we can get a nice crust on the chicken. It also means everything is then cooked in the same pan, which is handy!
I like frying in butter and oil. The butter adds gorgeous flavour to the chicken whilst the olive oil helps prevent the butter from burning/drying out.
Process shots: add chicken to oil & butter in pan (photo 1), fry both sides until golden & just about cooked in the centre (photo 2).
Creamy Garlic Mushroom Sauce
Okay, chicken done and dusted, let’s talk sauce.
What kind of Mushrooms to use?
I like using baby button mushrooms and slicing them on the thinner side. This way you can still baste the chicken in the sauce without huge mushrooms getting in the way. Plus the smaller size allows the mushrooms to cook quicker.
Using Heavy/Double Cream
You’ll definitely want to use heavy (US) double (UK) cream for this recipe. Using something thinner like milk or half & half will leave the sauce way too thin. Plus this is a slightly indulgent dinner, so the rich flavour of the cream works perfectly 😋
Using Lemon Juice
Speaking of richness, you don’t want a sauce that’s so rich it’s sickly. As such, I do a combo of half cream and half chicken stock (this also adds more flavour). I also like to add a very gentle squeeze of lemon juice towards the end. The lemon juice helps cut through the richness without altering the flavour too much. This is optional, but in all cases, only 1/2-1tsp is needed.
Process shots: remove chicken and melt butter (photo 1), add mushrooms (photo 2), fry then fry garlic (photo 3), add cream, stock, chives and parsley (photo 4), simmer then add parmesan, lemon juice and s&p (photo 5), add chicken back in (photo 6).
Creamy Garlic Mushroom Chicken FAQ
Do I have to dredge the chicken in flour?
Strictly speaking no, you could just coat the chicken with the seasoning. In which case you’ll want to halve the amount of seasoning.
How garlicky is this recipe?
This recipe only has 2 cloves of garlic, however the chicken is also seasoned in garlic powder and the sauce has chives in it too. So all in all, I think it’s enough to keep the garlic fiends among us happy without it being completely overbearing!
Can I use different mushrooms?
You can, just make sure they’re thinly sliced and on the smaller side (i.e. not portobello or large flat mushrooms).
Serving Creamy Mushroom Garlic Chicken
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this creamy garlic mushroom chicken shall we?!
How to make Creamy Garlic Mushroom Chicken (Full Recipe & Video)
Creamy Garlic Mushroom Chicken
- Large Deep Pan & Tongs
- Large Shallow Dish (for dredging chicken)
- Wooden Spoon
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Jug (for stock)
- Fine Cheese Grater (for parmesan)
Ingredients (check list):
- 2x 9oz/250g Chicken Breasts, brought close to room temp
- 1/4 cup / 40g Flour (see notes)
- 1 tsp EACH: Salt, Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp EACH: Olive Oil, Butter (preferably unsalted)
- 9oz / 250g Baby Button Mushrooms, sliced fairly thin
- 3/4 cup / 180ml Heavy/Double Cream, at room temp
- 3/4 cup / 180ml Chicken Stock
- 1oz / 1/3cup / 30g freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 large cloves of Garlic, finely diced
- 1 tbsp finely diced Fresh Parsley, plus more to garnish if desired
- 1 tbsp finely diced Fresh Chives
- 1 tbsp Butter, preferably unsalted (can sub oil, this is to fry the mushrooms)
- 1/2 - 1 tsp Lemon Juice (see notes)
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Horizontally slice each chicken breast right through the centre to create 4 even-sized breasts.
- In a large shallow dish combine 1/4 cup flour with 1 tsp garlic powder & salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Dredge each chicken breast through the flour to coat, then shake off excess and place to one side.
- Heat up 1 tbsp oil and butter in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and fry both sides for a few mins, or until golden on the outside and just about cooked through the centre. Remove and place chicken to one side.
- Melt in 1 tbsp butter and add the mushrooms. Fry until they form a golden crust, then reduce heat to medium. Add garlic and fry for another 1-2mins. Pour in stock and cream, then add chives and parsley. Simmer for 5mins or so, until the sauce starts to thicken slightly.
- Stir in parmesan, then add a very gentle squeeze of lemon juice and salt & pepper to taste. Simmer for another minute or so to thicken a little more if you need to.
- Add chicken back in and baste in the sauce. Serve up and enjoy!
Quick 1 min demo!
Your Private Notes:
After another garlic chicken recipe? Check out my Garlic Butter Chicken!
For more similar recipes check out these beauties:
Chicken Breast Dinners
- Creamy Bacon Chicken
- Honey Garlic Chicken
- Creamy Tarragon Chicken
- Roasted Red Pepper Chicken
- Chicken Piccata
- Creamy Tomato Chicken
If you loved this Creamy Mushroom Chicken Recipe then be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!