These chipotle chicken quesadillas are crusted with cheese and packed full of flavour!
Good grief are you in for a treat today. As if chipotle chicken quesadillas weren’t delicious enough, we’re going to make them cheese-crusted. Because, well, do we need an excuse load anything with extra cheese? Certainly not around here! Anywho, follow me…
In reality, you can make this recipe with any kind of filling, but today I’m showing this delicious chipotle chicken version.
Preparing the chicken
Here I’m using chicken breast, but you could also use chicken thigh if you’d prefer. I recommend using 2 small breasts and pounding them flat. This will ensure the meat cooks through quicker and more evenly. It also tenderises the meat, which is always a bonus!
Chipotle Chicken Marinade
This is just a really simple concoction of chipotle paste, olive oil, lime juice and seasoning. You’ll find chipotle paste in a small pot, usually near the spice/seasoning section at the supermarket. It adds heaps of flavour, so don’t forget it!
How long do I marinate the chicken?
I recommend a minimum of 30 minutes, up to overnight. If you’re pushed for time just rest the chicken as you prep the other ingredients.
Process shots: lay cling film over chicken (photo 1), pound flat (photo 2), add marinade ingredients to dish (photo 3), combine with chicken and marinate (photo 4).
Chipotle Chicken Quesadillas
You’ll want to cook the chicken in a non-stick pan, just because that’s what’s needed for the cheese. You’ll still likely build up a bit of char/flavour in the pan, which is fine. In fact, as the peppers and onions fry, they’ll release moisture which will help pick off all the flavour from the pan!
Process shots: add chicken to pan (photo 1), fry then remove (photo 2), add peppers and onions (photo 3), fry then remove (photo 4).
Cheese Crusted Quesadillas
Okay, here’s where the fun begins.
After you’ve wiped/cleaned out the pan, add some cheese straight into the pan and add a tortilla wrap on top. On one side you can then stack the fillings. Here I’ve got:
- More cheese
- Chipotle Sauce (just sour cream, mayo and chipotle paste)
As the cheese melts, it’ll begin to release oil and turn golden. At this point, it’ll start crisping up and attaching itself to the wrap to form a cheesy crust. You can then fold the wrap over, with the cheese attached. And there you have a cheese-crusted quesadilla.
The crispy cheese on the outside has a more intense flavour than just melted cheese, so you won’t need a huge amount. It gives the quesadilla a gorgeous crispy, crunchy texture which is to die for!
What kind of cheese to use?
Definitely Cheddar on the outside – it crisps up really well and adds heaps of flavour. I opt for mozzarella in the middle, just so the mellow creaminess balances out the sharp Cheddar.
Process shots: wipe out pan (photo 1), add cheddar (photo 2), add wrap and fillings (photo 3), fold over once crisp (photo 4).
Serving Chipotle Chicken Quesadillas
I typically just serve these with a little leftover sauce. They’re pretty hearty! You can add some Sides though if you fancy.
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for these chipotle chicken quesadillas shall we?!
How to make Chipotle Chicken Quesadillas (Full Recipe & Video)
Cheese-Crusted Chipotle Chicken Quesadillas
- Rolling Pin & Cling Film (for pounding chicken)
- Small Pot (for sauce)
- Kitchen Roll (for wiping pan clean)
- Large Shallow Dish (for marinating chicken)
- Large Non-Stick Pan & Tongs
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
Ingredients (check list):
- 2x 5oz/150g Chicken Breasts (see notes)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Lime, juice only
- 2 tsp Chipotle Paste (see notes)
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 tsp EACH: Garlic Powder, Salt, Black Pepper
- 2 large Flour Tortillas (10"/25cm)
- 1 cup / 100g grated Cheddar
- 1/2 cup / 50g shredded Mozzarella (see notes)
- 1 small White Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small Red Pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small Avocado, thinly sliced (optional)
- 2 tbsp EACH: Mayonnaise, Sour Cream
- 1 tsp Chipotle Paste
- Lay cling film over the chicken breasts and use a rolling pin, mallet or heavy pan to pound them to an even thickness. Don't flatten them so much they break apart.
- Whisk together chipotle paste, olive oil, lime juice, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt & black pepper in a large shallow dish. Coat the chicken and cover the bowl in cling film. Marinate in the fridge for as long as you have time for (up to overnight). If you're pushed for time just do 30 minutes at room temp.
- In a small pot combine mayonnaise and sour cream with 1 tsp chipotle paste.
- In a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat, fry the chicken for around 4 mins each side, or until lightly charred on the outside and white & piping hot through the centre. Remove and leave to rest to one side. Slice into strips just before needed.
- Add the peppers and onion to the pan and fry until they begin to soften and lightly char, then remove them from the pan. Wipe/clean out the pan and place back on a medium heat.
- Scatter half of the cheddar in the pan then lay a tortilla wrap on top. On one half, top with mozzarella, peppers & onion, avocado, chicken, and a drizzle of the chipotle sauce.
- The cheese on the bottom will melt, then leak out oil, then turn a golden colour and crisp up. As it crisps, it'll attach itself to the wrap. Just try and gently press down on the wrap to remove any air bubbles. Once the cheese attaches to the wrap, use tongs to fold it over the fillings. This process should take around 4-5mins. Have faith - the cheese will attach as it crisps!
- Remove and repeat with the second quesadilla, then slice in half and tuck in with more sauce if desired!
Quick 1 min demo!
Your Private Notes:
For more similar recipes check out these beauties:
- Chipotle Chicken Taquitos
- Chipotle Roasted Spatchcock Chicken
- Smoky Chipotle Mac and Cheese
- Slow Cooker Honey Chipotle Chicken Tacos
- Classic Chicken Quesadillas
- Mini Leftover Mac & Cheese Quesadillas
- Ground Beef Quesadillas
- Refried Bean Quesadillas
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Quesadillas