These Bagel Chips are super crunchy and so easy to make!
Just when you thought you couldn’t love bagels anymore, prepare to fall even deeper in love. Follow me…
Bagels are actually perfect to turn into chips, not only for their shape and size, but also because they come out super crunchy. Before testing this recipe I imagined they might come out with a texture more like toast, but the bagel’s dense texture means they come out nice and firm/crunchy.
Bagel chips ingredients
All you need to make bagel chips is bagels, olive oil and salt. That’s it!
What kind of bagel to use?
You really want to use everything bagels for this recipe, mainly because they’re loaded with more flavour. You can make these with regular bagels, I just recommend adding a little more seasoning along the salt i.e garlic powder.
Process shots: add bagel to chopping board (photo 1), slice in half (photo 2), slice in a straight line into wedges (photo 3&4)
Baked Bagel Chips
To bake the chips you’ll need a large baking tray, and just make sure all the chips are spaced out. Use two trays if you have to – just to try and avoid the chips overlapping and not crisping up properly.
Once you’ve brushed both sides with oil, season with a hefty pinch of salt and bake away. Keep an eye on them as they burn quite quickly. You also don’t need to flip them!
Process shots: space out and brush with oil (photo 1), season then bake (photo 2).
Air Fryer Bagel Chips
Air fryer fanatics – don’t despair! These are awesome in the air fryer too.
Whilst they arguably do come out slightly more crispy in the air fryer and they take less time cook, I tend to bake them purely because you can cook them in larger batches. In the air fryer you’re limited to around 1 bagels worth of chips at a time to prevent overlapping. When I make these chips it’s usually for a crowd, so I bake at least 2 bagels worth.
Process shots: salt and oil chips then add to air fryer (photo 1), air fry, flip then fry again until golden/crunchy (photo 2).
Serving Bagel Chips
I usually serve with an extra pinch of salt, depending on how salty I’m feeling! They will also crisp slightly more as they cool. These are great with Dips (Hummus is my fave). They’re also great to turn into mini crostini and add cream cheese, salmon and dill – perfect as Party Finger Food!
Can I store leftovers?
Yes – just allow to completely cool then tightly store at room temp for a few days. Pop back in the oven for a couple of mins to crisp up if needed.
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for these bagel chips shall we?!
How to make Bagel Chips (Full Recipe & Video)
Bagel Chips (Baked or Air Fried!)
- Large Baking Tray or Air Fryer
- Small Bowl & Brush (for oil)
- Bread Knife
Ingredients (check list):
- 2 Bagels, preferably Everything Bagels (see notes)
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt, as needed
- Prepare: Slice the bagels in half, then slice into chips around 1/4" thick. You should get 18-20 chips per bagel (see video below on guidance for slicing). Brush both sides on each bagel chip with oil.
- Baking Method: Space out on a large baking tray and sprinkle over a hefty pinch of salt. Bake in the oven for around 12mins at 350F/180C, or until deep golden and crunchy.
- Air Fryer Method: Space out in the basket and top with a good pinch of salt. Fry for 4mins at 170C/340F. Pull out basket, flip each chip then fry again for 2mins, or until deep golden and crunchy. You may need to do this in batches depending on how big your air fryer is.
- Serve: Toss with an extra pinch of salt if needed, then serve up and enjoy!
Quick 1 min demo!
Your Private Notes:
For more similar recipes check out these beauties:
- Pizza Bagels
- Egg in a Hole Breakfast Bagels
- Quiche Stuffed Bagels
- Smoked Salmon Bagels
- Tuna Melt Bagels
If you loved this Bagel Chips Recipe recipe then be sure to pin it for later! Already made them or got a question? Give me a shout in the comments below and pick up your free ecookbook along the way!