‘ Just cutting into this Tomato and Fried Mozzarella Stack and seeing the gooey mozzarella spill out is enough to make you fall in love ‘
So, a quick insight behind this dish.. You know what, I kinda got a thing for tomato and basil. I know it’s such a classic combination that we all know and love but seriously, it does something to me. Like I get all fuzzy inside when I taste these two flavours. So when the craving hit today, like it does many days, I thought I’d pop to the shop with the intention of just grabbing some tomatoes, fresh basil and mozzarella. Maybe whip up a nice dressing, nothing too extreme. And then this happened.
I think I just enjoy creating unconventionally-edible recipes, similar to that time I made Avocado burger buns. Anywho, on a serious note the flavours behind this stack are gorgeous. I paired it with a sweet balsamic glaze, which balanced out the tart from the tomatoes. The fried mozzarella adds a beautiful crunch, offering a neat textural contrast to the other softer ingredients, whilst the basil helps binds together the layers of the stack, giving a light and fresh aspect to the dish. Just cutting into this stack and seeing the gooey mozzarella spill out was enough to make me fall in love with this dish.
Look, is it the most convenient thing to eat? Potentially not. But just lay in on it’s side after you’ve finished your Instagram snaps and you’ll be right. On a serious note, the flavours and textures of this masterpiece are pretty special. The perfect dish for that brunch you forgot you were hosting, the tomato and fried mozzarella stack will never fail you. Anywho, enough from me and more of this! Full recipe below and I’ll catch you guys on the next post!
' Just cutting into this Tomato and Fried Mozzarella Stack and seeing the gooey mozzarella spill out is enough to make you fall in love '
- 2 Large Tomatoes sliced into 4 rounds each
- 200 g (7 oz) Fresh Mozzarella sliced into 6 rounds, mimicking thickness of the Tomato rounds.
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 2 Eggs beaten
- 4 tbsp Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp Dried Basil
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Oil for frying
- 100 ml (1/2 cup) Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tsp Brown Sugar
- Juice from 1/2 Lemon
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Begin with your balsamic reduction. Combine your Balsamic Vinegar and Brown Sugar in a suitably sized pan and simmer over low/medium heat for around 10/15 mins until you can coat the back of a spoon, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, set up 3 bowls. First one with your Flour, second your beaten Egg and thirdly your Breadcrumbs, Dried Basil, Cayenne Pepper and Seasoning. Dip your Mozzarella rounds into the Flour, next the Egg and then the Breadcrumbs. Dip Back into the Egg again and finally a second dip into the Breadcrumbs. Ensure the surface of both sides is fully coated with every dip.
- Heat a nice few gulps of Oil to cover the whole base of your pan and fry each Mozzarella round on high for around 2 mins on each side, or until the Mozzarella begins to melt with a golden/brown coating.
- When cool enough to handle stack by topping Tomato with a Basil Leaf, topped with Fried Mozzarella, finished with a drizzle of Balsamic Glaze. Repeat until 2 even Tomato stacks form. Drizzle dressing over the top if using.
To help the stack stand, consider cutting a small slice off the bottom layer of the Tomato to help balance.
Love a good food stack? Check out my Breakfast Stack with Hollandaise Sauce!
Cheers guys, this has been ‘ Tomato and Fried Mozzarella Stack ’. Comment, share, do whatever you fancy but for crying out loud don’t go bacon my heart. See you next time 🙂