‘Crispy on the outside and moist in the center, these baked sweet ‘n’ spicy pomegranate glazed wings are the best way to fall in love with chicken all over again’
Ohhh boy oh boy I’m excited to be sharing this recipe. Why you ask? Well, firstly because chicken wings are totally my favourite things in the world. Like, you know when people ask what’s one food you couldn’t live without? My go to answer is always wings, so just talking about them makes me happy. Secondly because I think it’s important to share with the world just how easy it is to get super crispy chicken wings without using a deep fat fryer.
Look don’t get me wrong, I’m partial to most things deep fried, but when it comes to these pomegranate wings it’s great to reinforce their healthy aesthetic by using the oven. Pomegranate itself is packed with antioxidants and Vitamin C and by using the oven baking method, it also cuts out a huge amount of fat.
But wait, still crispy right?
100%. By using our dear friend baking powder and allowing the wings to chill in the fridge before cooking, they’re gonna come out beautifully crisp. This method is going to draw the moisture to the skin surface and evaporate in the oven, leaving a nice flaky, crunchy casing.
Let’s just talk about the flavours real quick. The sauce could be an odd concept to get your head around at first, especially when combining with chicken wings but for real, it’s a game changer.
This ooey gooey pomegranate sauce is beyond heavenly. The sweet from the honey with the tart from the pomegranate, complimented by a twang from the jalapeno; it all just works so perfectly.
The inspiration for the pomegranate glaze could well be pinned down to that time I made loaded sweet potatoes. Or just the fact I’m obsessed with pomegranate and everything it stands for. Either way it’s now a staple to drizzle over literally everything.
The star components of this recipe:
So, enjoy the recipe guys and let me know how you all get on! Until then, I’ll catch you on the next post. Enjoy 🙂
- 8 Chicken Wings cut into drumette & wing, discard tip if desired
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder make sure it's not baking soda
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper or to preference
- Good pinch of Salt & Black Pepper
- 500 ml (2 cups) Pomegranate Juice
- 2 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Ginger Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 Whole Jalapeno deseeded & sliced
- 1 tbsp Pomegranate Seeds
- 1 tsp Sesame Seeds
- In a large bowl, mix your Flour, Baking Powder, Smoked Paprika, Cumin, Cayenne Pepper and Salt & Pepper. Pat your wings dry with a paper towel, pop them in the bowl and coat them with the rub. Place on a tray and whack in the fridge for 1 hour.
Around 10 mins before you take the wings out, preheat the oven to 200c (390f). Transfer the wings to a rack leaving at least 1cm underneath to allow airflow. Cook for approx 40-45mins or until crispy on the outside yet moist and white throughout the center.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan bring your Pomegranate Juice to a simmer and stir in your Ginger, Garlic, Balsamic Vinegar, Honey and Salt & Pepper. Keep on low-medium heat and stir frequently until you're able to coat the back of a spoon - around 20-25 mins. Be careful not to overcook as it will become too sticky and give a slight burnt/sugary twang.
- Coat the wings with the Pomegranate sauce and sprinkle with Sesame seeds, Jalapeno and Pomegranate seeds.
Feel free to leave the wings longer in the fridge, it will help for a crispier finish. On the flip side if you wanted to skip this step all together then do so, they just won't be quiiiiiite as crispy.
Cheers guys, this has been ‘Baked Sweet ‘n’ Spicy Pomegranate Glazed Wings ’ Comment, share, do whatever you fancy but for crying out loud don’t go bacon my heart. See you next time 🙂